Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about patching them with thick Lexan cut to fit the cutout area, then you would have natural light below.
Mike

Yeah I might just do that mate. Could add some LEDs around them for that added look at night. Great idea mate. Thanks..!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Happy you saved us from seeing pictures like this one;

Attachments

• zinkend_jacht.JPG
    zinkend_jacht.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 54
Did some sanding (surprise surprise) and screwed off the strips for the rubbing Strake and hull flare

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296187.308764.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296205.941433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296225.044836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296241.763916.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296252.500165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296263.867029.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465296278.755600.jpg

Pict # 6 makes your Baby look very svelte!! :thumb: :D

How about patching them with thick Lexan cut to fit the cutout area, then you would have natural light below.
Mike

Now, that could be a brilliant idea, which might make Matt feel less dejected, and make those beautiful cut-outs really functional. He could even say it was "the plan" all along. Our lips are still sealed aren't that..? Many fancy high-end boats have ocean-safe clear inserts in the hull sides to let in light and to even look through. In his case he put them in to lighten the ER - perfect..!

Greetings,
Mr. H. As per usual, impressive is much too "weak" a word. I hesitate to bring this up but what came to mind when viewing the "svelte" picture (#6) is the amount of filler you're applying above the water line. Given you're sanding quite a bit of it off to achieve perfection, have you calculated how much weight the filler is adding to the upper half of the hull? Will she be top heavy is the question, I suppose?

Greetings,
Mr. H. As per usual, impressive is much too "weak" a word. I hesitate to bring this up but what came to mind when viewing the "svelte" picture (#6) is the amount of filler you're applying above the water line. Given you're sanding quite a bit of it off to achieve perfection, have you calculated how much weight the filler is adding to the upper half of the hull? Will she be top heavy is the question, I suppose?

I second that concern for you and your baby.

Now, that could be a brilliant idea, which might make Matt feel less dejected, and make those beautiful cut-outs really functional. He could even say it was "the plan" all along. Our lips are still sealed aren't that..? Many fancy high-end boats have ocean-safe clear inserts in the hull sides to let in light and to even look through. In his case he put them in to lighten the ER - perfect..!

Ha nah mate. GC gets full credit for that one.

Might have to bolt on a couple of full length sections of railway track the the keel :p

Last edited:
Could just be the camera angle and how i took it?

Still worried about being too heavy up top. It's a real concern for me atm.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1465304774.893678.jpg

I said Axe was top heavy about 1000 posts ago.
Nobody seemed to agree then ... why now?
Must have another 300 gallons of filler since.
She has looked a bit like the boat from the 70's called Cargile (or something like that. Was designed to be 1/2 vacation trailer and 1/2 boat. Combinations always miss the mark at both ends.
But pics can be decieving. Matt are you using a wide angle lens camera? The obvious thing to do is consult a NA.

Last edited:
The engine (Perkins 4-236?) will add quite a bit of weight down low. I have that engine in my boat, and if I remember correctly, maybe 1000 pounds? Is there any way you could get it on a trailer and into the water for a try? That's a bit out there but just doing some thinking.

The railroad track is not a bad idea Matt. Lots of boats have iron keelsomes bolted on for ballast methinks. BTW, the angled profile shot looks awesome.

I said Axe was top heavy about 1000 posts ago.
Nobody seemed to agree then ... why now?
Must have another 300 gallons of filler since.
She has looked a bit like the boat from the 70's called Cargile (or something like that. Was designed to be 1/2 vacation trailer and 1/2 boat. Combinations always miss the mark at both ends.
But pics can be decieving. Matt are you using a wide angle lens camera? The obvious thing to do is consult a NA.

Still not agreeing with ya. All pics are taken with my iPhone 6

Last edited:
The engine (Perkins 4-236?) will add quite a bit of weight down low. I have that engine in my boat, and if I remember correctly, maybe 1000 pounds? Is there any way you could get it on a trailer and into the water for a try? That's a bit out there but just doing some thinking.

The Perkins is a 6.354 mate and is pretty heavy. I've got 800ltr of diesel and 800ltr of water in the engine room also. 100mtrs of 12mm chain up the front.

Yeah not really mate. I'm about 2hrs travel from the water where I'm building plus the costs etc.

Last edited:
The railroad track is not a bad idea Matt. Lots of boats have iron keelsomes bolted on for ballast methinks. BTW, the angled profile shot looks awesome.

Yeah it's a nice pic. Took it from an EWP when I was rigging the tarps

After you've eaten too much you can't fix it by eating more.
Subtract don't add more.

Matt me bud!

Although I'm no na... been around boats for decades and worked on woodies for years. In having just reviewed many photos of your baby... I now don't foresee too much chance of top heavy regarding tipping. I do see that she may sit quite squat in the water though, because you do have a lot of overall weight added compared to hull's previous loads. That said... the extension on rear may fully compensate for the added load.. As I recall this weight factor was predominant item to not having fly bridge.

My suggestion is that you might want to be sparing with placing much more weight onto her, and, to keep added weight at lowest possible c of g inside hull confines.

Cheers! - Art

PS: She's looking really, really GOOD! :thumb:

Too early to say mate. Won't know till I launch her. If she floats alls well. She sinks alls not well

No worries then. If all is well go fishing, if not go diving. Either way win-win. :)

Looking great.

Craig,
Fish'in or div'in ... like that

Matt,
She does have nice lines except for the flat cabin top. Simplicity is great but puddling may come to pass w/o any list. I still love the front windows.

Last edited:
What's squat mean mate? Originally she was 2.0mtrs wide on the stern. She is now 3.0mtrs wide and 1.8mtrs longer than original length. My concerns are
1.) She won't float (too heavy/unstable)
2.) Engine power won't be enough to move her.

Both concerns can't be answered on land. It's a struggle maintaining positivity for 4 years after pumping so much time and money into her with the constant thought that she may not even float or be stable whilst trying to make her look as nice as I can with no plans or personal boat building exp to lean on. Some days the thoughts creep in more than others. Today is a good day tho!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom