Thread: Finally retired
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #35
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Congrats, Fernando!! It appears you finished your new boat just in time! Well done.

I retired in Nov 2012, the day before my 55th birthday. I loved my dream job and was totally focused on my career for almost 39 years. My job was a perfect fit for me but I felt the need to enjoy retirement before health issues might grab the opportunity away from me. Like others have mentioned, I also wanted to go out on top of my game.

The first year was a period of transition for me. I knew I was retired, but my brain took a while to catch up. I would dream about flying and working...then I started wondering in my dreams, "Why am I working when I'm retired?" Finally the work dreams stopped and the boating dreams filled the void.

Flying didn't 'define' me but the aviation world was a huge part of my daily life. I'd go out on 4-5 day trips with a couple other crew members 2-3 times per month. We'd spend our daytime, meals and sometimes evening drinks together. We knew each other very well and I enjoyed the professionalism and the camaraderie. That was a big change for me. I miss the people more than the job, even though I absolutely LOVED my job.

For many men, meaningful work fulfills the inner need to provide for your loved ones. It took a while for me to get comfortable with the fact that I was now a consumer of my hard earned gains and no longer the provider. All my life I worked to grow my nest egg for this stage in life. Now I'm here.

Now, 3 1/2 years into retirement, I stay busy volunteering here and elsewhere, helping friends and making new friends. I had to set a daily quit time for myself (1600) so I wouldn't work into the dinner hour. I stick to a schedule that works for my wife and me...generally 0730 or 0800 rise, 2300 to bed. We each have our own interests that take us in different directions regularly so we have time together and time apart to pursue our passions. This has led to new friendships and expanded interests.

As I approach my summer cruising season, I feel like a kid in a candy store...excited with the upcoming adventures and proud of the improved state of my boat. Much has been upgraded over the past year and she's never been better, IMO. If I hadn't been retired, none of this would be possible.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote