Painting your anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Has anyone had any luck with painting your anchor and having it hold up relatively well? Perhaps a 2-part epoxy paint, baked enamel or powder coating?

5ni9uOTXcVSyuG1ENpk2HJKW_RwghxUDhiZPZh-E9RDJI3kRY6v4GmsztnoMRmba8l5KU0Y7vqsFF1qhHkI7fby4cZHKKjR3U9PuCPRHvK3cWlMkexT_74hUE2tufczh6wfysXZEN-B0m1ui2JEJR21rVK2bI6LtXsQ2zIHGE9un6zEI1ZDDTDwZ4_wAuaKJYTgqYgF_dMShlB7A_eS1LSHGGTS_9DZxi94IUSgJQu7fFDSoninTddabbSQETxHy5FVlSorMTimEtPzbZ3PGzaBbmeqjycfWGNczjXIfWHxfwZDNCP-4ECyzdySV8yWZw9_BSfoBD2pqupfmi76Kt2wJfWWbOOsNjX5b2Qs81vuCLj25BQwHasdvbN_66YWi93fcj33Dc-dF7KK9PeAubVe0zpICaiIsIEeqbHUOkr8k8SF1pzLVQ4J-aCnvA3BVo3EQFcPgxUtLxjk3VyNTD4nldu5mACfD7BuIbHoOddLz6BvcM1Bwn12TWzSR6vGaPB8KAFurfgHoq202rnIzTlDBJ3x8t8V-9iVn8WrGbl2d99NKueUodUobtBEW7VyW9MLVo4PD5mDTeGxfk50qn4VP7na7IeU=w1306-h979-no
We had ours powder coated green to match the gelcoat trim on our boat (inset and boot stripe). We are going into our third season and it has held up just about as we expected - worn off the point and leading edges of the anchor, flat surfaces a little dull but otherwise intact. Keep in mind that we boat almost exclusively in fresh to brackish water, with most anchoring done in mud and silt. Truthfully, the only reason we did it is that we have a good boating friend with a powder coating company that did it for free. Not sure we would have done it otherwise. He has done this for four boats in our group and all holding up the same. last year he redid his in a US Flag motif, that really looks cool. Anyway, that is our two cents.

EDIT: Forgot to add that one benefit is that the mud comes off much easier when we pull up the anchor.

Last edited:
Paint does not like to stick to any galvanized metal.

The trick is to use water based primer for aluminum (rustoleum at a box store) and then paint it as desired.

Paint does not like to stick to any galvanized metal.

The trick is to use water based primer for aluminum (rustoleum at a box store) and then paint it as desired.

I'll have to try that. Have had some luck wiping the galvanized item down with a vinegar soaked rag prior to painting, but have never done an anchor.

I would think powder coating would be best. One can powder coat a prop so why not an anchor? Very wide choice of colors.

I have painted large parts of some of my anchors w cold galvanize spray cans. So easy to touch up. But seldom needed. It's very much like Navy gray it visually blends right in w real galvanize but it definitely is different than the hot dip galvanize. One could just paint w cold gal the whole anchor .. then the color would be uniform. Get it at a good price in paint and hardware stores under the Rustoeliun brand .. >$10.

What's the reason that you would want to paint an anchor? Make it look nice? Control rust?

Back
Top Bottom