Props to USCG Vallejo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm privileged to have a slip that backs to USCG Station Vallejo. These folks are the ultimate in professionalism. Tonight I watched proudly as they assembled at the boats, suited up for battle in military fashion. (OK, they didn't exactly march out to the boats in coordinated step, but their presence was felt!) They all had their game face on. I figured they were heading out for a realistic simulation. They were impressive to watch as they each completed their duties in steely-eyed, near-silent confidence.

They make me proud to be an American!

img_449573_0_c3587d52e4f2e9150d214638f06fe0e3.jpg

img_449573_1_d19483f10c6d17f8b8cf18074fc4a4ed.jpg

Thanks for your service, USCG Station Vallejo!

Curious why there is USCG on Lake Tahoe? Two states maybe? I have had my 20 foot bow rider on Tahoe three times. Each time I launch I get inspected by the USCG.

Twice I was inspected prior to launch and then when on the water. The kids with side arms and a 30 caliber machine gun do not impress me. Why do the inland, land locked waters of Lake Tahoe require machine guns.

My wife and our guests are all in our sixties, clean cut and my boat is a newer inboard run about. It has 4 foot wide USN Submarine Tridents on the port and starboard side of the boat!

I wrote the base commander asking about this practice and never received a response.

The inspections take about 15 minutes each. I did not care for the one Sailor (kid) personing the .30 cal while my boat was being torn apart.

PS - I am pro LEO, pro USN, my kid is a PO1, and pro gun.

They carry a wide range of firearms even on their smaller boats: handguns, assault rifles, shotguns, and machine guns.

Last edited:
Big Jim, I'm not sure what their mission is on an inland lake, most likely the same as on open, coastal waters.

As to the firearms, would you rather they go out and do their job in uniform but unarmed?

A side arm is one thing, 30 cal another.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

If I had to go up against some of the well armed drug smugglers and human traffickers like the USCG does, why would I want to be armed with anything less than they are?

I suspect some of you forget that their mission involves much more than inspecting boats full of fun loving families. That's probably the least dangerous part of their job.

In today's climate of anti- everything, I would not want their job. More (fire)power to them.

I can remember the cowboy days in Miami when the biggest fear in ramping up Law Enforcement was a shoulder fired grenade/rocket at a loner small boat or helo that had no defense against that kind of firepower....or almost anything larger than a handgun.

BigJim - The have .50 cals on the bows in our neck of the woods. If you are tired of random inspections, I suggest getting a courtesy inspection and accompanying sticker. Although not guaranteed to get you out of an impromptu inspection, they do help. At least that is our experience.

FlyWright - great pics!

I"m completely over-classed as far as firepower goes. Can make noise and smoke, but that's all.

OK CP. You hold/aim the cannon and I'll pull the rope to fire. ;)

If I had to go up against some of the well armed drug smugglers and human traffickers like the USCG does, why would I want to be armed with anything less than they are?

I suspect some of you forget that their mission involves much more than inspecting boats full of fun loving families. That's probably the least dangerous part of their job.

In today's climate of anti- everything, I would not want their job. More (fire)power to them.

^ This! GFC, exactly what I was going to say. A handgun shooting .40 S&W doesn't exactly match the bad guys with automatic firearms. Good on ya', Flywright.

Big Jim: The station on Lake Tahoe has been there for years...It's only occupied during the summer months obviously, but, it was originally started to help out Parks and Rec/Fish and Game in safety enforcement. As with everything else in this day and age, I'm sure their mission has changed somewhat. I served in the USCG from 1977-1981 and tried to get tad there........didn't work, lol.

^ This! GFC, exactly what I was going to say. A handgun shooting .40 S&W doesn't exactly match the bad guys with automatic firearms. Good on ya', Flywright.

I'd prefer a 45 ACP, which I don't have.

I am just guessing here, but I imagine the USCG has SOPs that dictate how there small boats and crews are armed depending on the mission. Doesn't matter if they are on salt or fresh water, the Canadian border or our Southern border. I assume that for specific enforcement action, they have another set of standard armaments they use.

I would not want a sailor to have a different kit depending on where they are posted. I want them trained with what they are issued and using so they wherever they are posted, they will be proficient and professional.

Years ago after the initial big drug enforcement push of the 70/80s, a lot of well trained, aggressive boarding officers and commanding offices were transferred out of Caribbean units to Northern units where the population was quite astonished at the "new, aggressive" USCG.

It took a few years to change policy to get the right amount of firepower carried for the typical boating population.

After 9/11 and terrorism possible anywhere...the new Homeland Security mission might dictate 50 caliber machine guns in grade schools.....

While I usually find USCG policy out of line for so many things.....I am no longer wearing the hat so I have to accept what the policy on heavy weapons might be.

And don't forget that some of those drug smuggling tunnels dug in Mexico could well come up under Lake Tahoe. Be careful out there.

BigJim-not to be too cynical, but you have to realize that all federal LE (and large parts of state LE), is "All Terrorism, All the Time", many other LE functions have gone by the wayside.

The simple answer is that the Coast Guard of the 60s and 70s (and earlier) were part of the Dept of Transportation. With their move to Homeland Security, safety at sea is not their main function.

And the next time you get boarded, ask to look at the bow gun. I believe they are 7.62 mm, not 50 cal.

Just be polite, be prepared and there will be no problem.

1978 and fresh out of fisheries school, I was an observer on a research charter gillnetter, fishing nights off San Juan and Lopez Island. We were routinely visited nightly by the USCG. 5 visits one night! You'd think they'd talk to one another!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I've been stopped by the coasties twice. Both times I was doing something a little strange.
The first time I was running back and forth in front of the port of Miami by myself. There was a measured mile there and I was doing time runs but I think it looked strange to the coasties. They were very professional and polite.

The next time I was headed offshore, by myself, in heavy weather that kept most boats in. I just wanted to see how Possum handled in bigger waves. I think this looked strange to them. Again very professional. Because of the sea state they asked me to go slow ahead into the waves. They came alongside, never touching Possum, and two men jumped aboard. I showed them the papers the first guys had given me. They thanked me, their boat came alongside, they jumped back and left.

Both boats were armed with a machine gun, M60 I think. The boarding officers all had hand guns.

I experienced a third boarding on a friends boat. We were very glad to see them as our boat was sinking. They brought us a big pump and we were able to get ahead of the water and save the boat. Those guys were really great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom