Finally retired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Hello Folks

I am finaly retired. Since 5/18/16 I am no longer an employee. From now on, I am on my own to do what I feel like.
Yet, is this good or bad? I do have a capable boat to cruise where I want when I want. Still, after 37 years in the oil industry, I keep question myself if I was prepared for this to happen.
Is this a temporary feeling?
Must I try to keep professionaly ocupied? Or should I only stay calm and enjoy my boat? Is this going to take some time before I feel confortable for cruising only?

What did you guys do when the same oprdeal happen to you?

Cheers
Portuguese

I remember being lost for a few months after retiring, until I got emersed in a hobby. After 10 years I have changed hobbies a couple of times. Just remember that now everyday is Saturday. Although, every once in a while I ask my wife what day is it.:)

Greetings,
Mr. P. CONGRATULATIONS!!! After 37 years you've earned some time for yourself and your family. The job you used to do will still get done without you there and life goes on.

Tough call as to how to handle all this "free time". I'm sure you'll get a whole range of "I did this" and "Don't do thats". I'm not going to suggest a damn thing. You're on your own my friend.

Oops, correction...Do this right now. Go on board Rainha Jannota, pour yourself your favorite libation, light up a GOOD cigar (IF you happen to enjoy them). Sit back in your favorite chair, put your feet up and reflect on how fortunate you are to be where you are right now. Don't worry about the past or the future. Let out a relaxing AHHHHHH... and enjoy. Oh, and put away your watch.

Last edited:
Those fears wear off after a while. In the mean time, stay busy getting your boat ready to cruise and go while you have your health.

Congratulations!

What is your passion?

Heard a good quote the other day..."If your goals don't scare you, you aren't dreaming big enough".

I've got about four years until retirement, then it's off we go to explore and photograph BC's north coast during all seasons and I want to master the polymer photogravure process :eek:

Last edited:
At first you wonder how to use the time, later you`ll wonder why there isn`t more time.
Life`s changes bring opportunities, seize them, it`s why you have that wonderful boat.

Greetings,
Mr. P. CONGRATULATIONS!!! After 37 years you've earned some time for yourself and your family. The job you used to do will still get done without you there and life goes on.

Tough call as to how to handle all this "free time". I'm sure you'll get a whole range of "I did this" and "Don't do thats". I'm not going to suggest a damn thing. You're on your own my friend.

Oops, correction...Do this right now. Go on board Rainha Jannota, pour yourself your favorite libation, light up a GOOD cigar (IF you happen to enjoy them). Sit back in your favorite chair, put your feet up and reflect on how fortunate you are to be where you are right now. Don't worry about the past or the future. Let out a relaxing AHHHHHH... and enjoy. Oh, and put away your watch.

RTF
You always have easy solutions for the most aparent dificult issues.:socool::socool::socool:

Thank you

Been retired for 25 years, and my only regret is not retiring sooner.:facepalm:

Do the stuff I enjoy but miss the challenges of a professional life. Been one year and I will be hunting contract work.

Fernando, your hobby was building a fine vessel. The family is doing well grab hold of that wheel your old dear friend made for you in that wheelhouse and put it to good use. Mainly enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Congratulations amigo.

Fernando, I followed your build very closely and was elated with the final product. (That trip, pulling the boat for launching at the water was spooky!)

I retired in 1992 and never looked back. I did not experience the thoughts you are having. I have enjoyed every minute of my retirement and would do exactly the same thing again, in a heart beat.

Here's to your retirement....

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 71
What did you guys do when the same oprdeal happen to you?

Cheers
Portuguese

Well Portuguese,

My own cure for suddenly-nothing-to-do syndrome was to buy a large, forty year old timber boat with an (at least) 50 year old engine, crammed full of systems.

A minimum of a couple of days "work" a week - every week.

Best thing I've done for a while.

If you're a person who let themselves be defined by their profession or occupation, just think of your new self as marine financier/maintenance worker.

All the best with your new freedom ordeal !

Now into my 3rd year of retirement worked a 12 hour day for far too many years now I don't know where I found time to work .

I took a new wife and bought an old boat upon retirement. I didn't have time before and it seems like I don't have much now either. Constantly busy with house , condo and boat projects. Happy though.

Congrats Portuguese.
I retired this time last year.
I don't know where the year went. I've been so busy I don't know how I ever had time to work. I hope things slow down a little.

Like the dowager countess said, "What's a weekend?".

Larry-better to have a new wife and an old boat rather than the reverse! Wait a minute-maybe not!

Portugese-take Rainha out and enjoy her-Lord knows you put enough getting her built!

I had a false start my first attempt at retirement. Lasted two years and I went back to work for 5 years. It just wasn't the right time for me-- I was too young and quickly got bored. Kids were still young. Wife was still working. It was a stupid decision in retrospect.

Going to try it again in about a year! This time I'm a little better prepared mentally I think, but my retirement-boat idea is probably not going to work out with my lovey bride. She doesn't want to live on a boat long term, so we might just charter. Best laid plans and all that...

Last edited:
I always have felt retired. Because... Worked for myself my whole life. Plan to keep doing so till the big end occurs. Got my sights set on 110 years. Might take the last few off... then again might not!

IMO - Staying busy doing something really interesting... keeps ya alive!

May Good Luck and Great Times be Yours in Retirement!! :thumb:

Wifey B: PASSION. That's the key. Find things you can be passionate about in life and a way to be passionate about life. As long as you have passions, you'll always be fulfilled in life and, if you don't have anything to feel passionate about, you'll feel an emptiness.

Congrats! Hope to join those ranks myself soon.

"Is this going to take some time before I feel confortable for cruising only?"

NOPE!

Most folks do longer days at doing stuff when retired than they ever did at work.

ENJOY or as the regimented used too say Carpe Diem.

As they say....the hours are awesome but the pay sucks :)

After nine years retired, I still sometimes worry if "I timed it right". However, we stay so busy doing things we never planned on doing, that it simply doesn't matter. Having a partner that you want to be around 24/7 really helps. We have never been closer.

Kick back and enjoy. You have earned it!

Having a partner that you want to be around 24/7 really helps. We have never been closer.

I think that probably is a huge factor for us. It gave us a chance to be together all the time and that is wonderful for us. We plan everything together. It's a shared time of anything we want. Plus we do have a large group of family/friends.

I think the biggest challenge for many is a change and reduction in social interaction. There was a group of people you spent time with, time talking to, every day and now you don't. You have to find a new group. Spouse, family, new friends, other boaters, but if you don't have that interaction there can be a big void in your life.

I think the biggest challenge for many is a change and reduction in social interaction. There was a group of people you spent time with, time talking to, every day and now you don't. You have to find a new group. Spouse, family, new friends, other boaters, but if you don't have that interaction there can be a big void in your life.

I think that is a very good point. It would not be the first that would come to my mind so I am glad you mentioned it. I am a bit concerned about my wife on that score.

My wife hopes to retire in a year. I have another meeting with my financial advisor this week to go over the final numbers. After teaching for over 30 years, she has had it. Like a good athlete, she wants to retire while she is still at the top of her game and never feel that she is not doing a good job. Unfortunately, that means retiring about 4 years before she hits her full retirement benefits and a long time before she is eligible for SSI or Medicare.

I will need to keep working for another decade most likely, if my health holds out. So this means that she will have 10 years of not having me around to keep her company but she won't have the social interactions that work provides. I think she has plans for babysitting future grandkids. We will see.

Mentally and emotionally I could retire at any time. My profession has been great but I am not defined by it. I always find things that interest me and people that I find interesting. Financially, I have no choice. I have to keep working. It is a good thing that I enjoy it.

I think that is a very good point. It would not be the first that would come to my mind so I am glad you mentioned it. I am a bit concerned about my wife on that score.

My wife hopes to retire in a year. I have another meeting with my financial advisor this week to go over the final numbers. After teaching for over 30 years, she has had it. Like a good athlete, she wants to retire while she is still at the top of her game and never feel that she is not doing a good job. Unfortunately, that means retiring about 4 years before she hits her full retirement benefits and a long time before she is eligible for SSI or Medicare.

Wifey B: As a former teacher, she'll not miss some aspects but really miss the kids. A lot of teachers retire a year to get retirement benefits then teach in a different district after that year, depending on the state and it's rules. There are cures though. Anywhere there are kids, preferably lots. Tutoring. Programs for reading. Group homes. Community centers.

She faces another challenge. She's younger than other retirees. All her friends and peers are working so not available to do things. You're working so not available. Time to do and no one to do with. That means finding some new groups of people to spend time with, probably mostly stay at home younger moms. Maybe new interests. Perhaps cooking courses or gardening. Reading groups.

Or even groups like college kids. Just people. Younger works out real well as they make you younger. Part time job at the theater or a small store.

She just needs to be prepared to work to fill her days with pleasure, not boredom..people, not solitude.

"She just needs to be prepared to work to fill her days with pleasure, not boredom..people, not solitude".

This is important advice IMO. It was surprisingly hard for me to find things to do after I finished all my projects and honey-dos. Everyone else was working. I found myself drinking beer mid afternoon and figured I'd better get back to work. ?

"She just needs to be prepared to work to fill her days with pleasure, not boredom..people, not solitude".

This is important advice IMO. It was surprisingly hard for me to find things to do after I finished all my projects and honey-dos. Everyone else was working. I found myself drinking beer mid afternoon and figured I'd better get back to work. ?

Wifey B: See, we're always doing together. But if one is and one isn't then sucks a bit. I don't think either of us would be very good at it without the other.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have mine. The last day I worked was September 27, 2003 and two weeks later we took our Hatteras 48 LRC under the Golden Gate Bridge and turned left. Ended up cruising the coast of Mexico for 12 years, finally bringing Freedom home last summer. The experience was great, especially the 3 months in the Sea of Cortez. Long term cruising or not your boat will keep you busy and occupied. The only problem I find is that as one ages the practice of engine room "boat yoga" becomes more difficult. Sometimes I'm so busy that I wondered how I ever had time to work.

Congratulations on your retirement, may your old job rest in peace.
Just remember
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigar in the other, body thoroughly worn out and screaming WHOOO HOOO What a ride!!!
Add don't forget
Dance and sing like no-one is watching :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom