Spare Prop Storage - 36' GB Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sue Freeman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
Where do owners of 36' Grand Banks Europa's store their spare props? How have you affixed it so it doesn't slide in bad weather?

It's attached to the spare engine.

:hide:Sorry, I couldn't help it,

Bob

I wrap my spare prop, and other heavy gear like that in old carpet underlay to protect it, and stop it from damaging the hull. I then wedge it into a hard to get to cubbyhole that isn't useful for stuff you use on a regular basis.

most spare props are just held down with a bolt and big washer/nut someplace in the bilge

Attachments

• nitro_z-9_propstorage.jpg
    nitro_z-9_propstorage.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Cover it in protective coating and store it at home in your shed or your storage shed.
You don't want it at sea , it is just extra weight and something heavy that can come loose.
If you are twin screw, you have your get home engine.
If single get a tow and then have the prop shipped to wherever you are.
You are not going to change it at sea.
Cheers
Benn

could be a vacation/cruise saver if it's with you....the weight shouldn't affect a trawler unless you are already packed to the gills.

We'll be living on the boat for 3 years (except for winters when we'll have to leave it on the hard), doing the Great Loop, so we need to have the spare prop with the boat. Besides, I had a devil of a time finding it. I'd hate to be stuck somewhere with our single engine prop out of commission & not have a spare available.
I saw the bolt/big washer & nut option on a friend's 45 foot boat. My question is where could I do this on a 36' GB Europa?
So far the "wrap it in carpet" and stuff it as far out of the way as possible option sounds like my best option.
Do I need to worry about keeping it centered in the boat because of the weight? (As you can probably surmise, I'm new to this trawler life.)
Thanks, Sue

Central is good, but secure and low are more important.

the weight of that prop is meaningless in the big scheme of things...put it where ever you want

I carry two spares in the lazzarette. Could still use some add'l weight in the stern.

My 34 x 28 inch prop takes up just too much space in my lazzerette and is too heavy to move around. It also takes up to much beer/wine storage space.
I have it stored at home / shed and can be transported to wherever\ it is required.
My mate has a spare engine all ready to go stored at home. ( Mack thermodyne air start) he is of into the Pacific this year so this is his back up.

Probably on twin screw boats where the props are smaller it mat be an option but what do you carry the left hand or the right handed prop or both.

You also have to weigh up what is the chance you are going to have a need for it or them.
Stopped carrying spare props on merchant vessels many years ago.

Cheers
Benn

Last edited:
Willy has a "hold" just aft of the engine compartment almost 3' high, 10' wide and 5' long. I have 5 or 6 plastic tubs all tied together and to the outboard sides of the hull.

I put the spare prop along the side of the last tub to port. One of the tubs is for anchors (3+or-), extra chain, my Kellet and some other similar stuff. One is for oil, anti-freeze ect. One or two is for canned goods. Lighter things like extra clothing can go on top of the cans. Other tubs are for more general storage.

I think it's worthwhile to minimize weight and keep what you have low. If you deal w many things that have considerable weight in such a way you'll have a better balanced boat.

Last edited:
Right from their website...
"Now we need to locate a place in the boat to store this sucker. It weighs 36 pounds so it ....."

If I had to worry about 36 pounds on a 36 foot boat I guess I'd lose some weight and start picking skinny friends......;)

as to taking up much room...mot boats have plenty of unused storage below floorboards in places such as the engine room, etc...it's not like bilge water will hut it.

If you want to keep it shiny, laid flat with a bolt/lag bolt through it and a thin piece of plywood on top...you still can stack plenty of cases of beer, etc on top.

The question isn't if it's too heavy or too big to keep aboard...it's just a question of where are you cruising or where could it be stored so it could be shipped if needed.

most spare props are just held down with a bolt and big washer/nut someplace in the bilge

Ours stores in the Laz with a similar hold down. Usually don't have the spare prop on board and we put two tool chests in that space. But doing a long cruise this season so the spare is on board and the tool chests, sigh, now occupy center stage right under the hatch to the Laz which is a frig for getting to other stuff stored there.

This post is way old. That GB has been for sale for awhile. I guess they decided to buy an RV and tour the asphalt.

This post is way old. That GB has been for sale for awhile. I guess they decided to buy an RV and tour the asphalt.

Wifey B: They couldn't find a place to store the spare prop. Oops....what if they can't find a place for their spare tire? ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom