Need advice for first longer cruise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a good suggestion as well. I have been thinking about reciprocal options, particularly on the push North and then back down South. While Victoria in one shot is very tempting, it depends on good weather in the Strait. There is also finding a spot at a reciprocal dock once we arrived at about 6pm on a Friday evening in the middle of the summer.

I looked at the tides and currents for our day of departure, and if we left at sunrise, it wouldn't be bad at all.

If you do stay at RVYC stop by Distraction , slipC4 ( bottom of the ramp, Elite 32 sailboat) I'm there more often than not and the fridge is well stocked with good beers.

If you do stay at RVYC stop by Distraction , slipC4 ( bottom of the ramp, Elite 32 sailboat) I'm there more often than not and the fridge is well stocked with good beers.

Hard to beat an offer like that!

Updates

I am dragging this thread up again.

Here are the updates to what I am thinking about an itinerary. (I know that "itinerary" is an evil word, but such is life). This is a tentative idea. My Daughter and Son-in-law want to join us for a week. Since they can't afford to fly in, we want to meet them at a place they can drive. Powell River seems like a reasonable choice.

Here is a tentative idea.
July 22: Get a very early start and leave Gig Harbor (by "early" I mean that we will spend the night on the boat Thursday, and I will leave before my wife is out of bed around 5:00am. Weather permitting, make the run to the RVYC in Cadboro Bay and hopefully stay at their recipricol dock. Check into customs there. Very long pull, maybe 12-13 hours.

July 23: Another early start and try to make the 1:00pm slack at Dodd Narrows and then spend the night in Nanaimo. Not sure which way is the quickest, West or East of Saltspring Is. Maybe 8 hours?

July 24: Nanaimo to Westview. Another long day, another good 8 hours.

This would put us in Westview to pick up family on Sunday night. Leave for DS the next day with the idea of being back in Westview again on July 30th. The kids can then leave the next day to drive back to reality. Then my wife and I have another week make the trip back home in a leisurely manner.

If we get delayed, all we have to do is let our family know. It is a days drive for them to Powell River.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

I ripped this out of ASD's thread:
Thanks. We were looking to spend the night in Powell River, figuring that we would arrive in the afternoon and our family would arrive by car that same afternoon. Then leave the next morning.
Dave, try these guys:
Beach Gardens Resort and Marina | Powell River BC Resort
They are just south of Westview.
Probably babysit the car too.
Westview to Desolation, depending on conditions is an easy 3-4 hours.

Now, some other points.
I always liked Satellite and Samsun (not Swanson) but it can get snotty in there at times so for your run Vic to Nan I'd be inclined to go up Swanson and Trincomali.

I reiterate my concerns about Seattle to Powell River in a day.
Not saying it can't be done.
Depending on where they are coming from in King (?) County, traffic, the border and ferry line ups are a huge factor. Two ferries.

Google says 3hrs to the Horseshoe ferry, I'd allow 5, even with reservations.
Google says 4 hrs Horseshoe Bay to Powell River, I'd allow for 1 missed ferry so anywhere from 2 to 4.5 hours extra.
Plan well.

As far as where to from Desolation; pick a route, you simply can't go wrong.

Last edited:
I ripped this out of ASD's thread:
Dave, try these guys:
Beach Gardens Resort and Marina | Powell River BC Resort
They are just south of Westview.
Probably babysit the car too.
Westview to Desolation, depending on conditions is an easy 3-4 hours.

Now, some other points.
I always liked Satellite and Samsun (not Swanson) but it can get snotty in there at times so for your run Vic to Nan I'd be inclined to go up Swanson and Trincomali.

I reiterate my concerns about Seattle to Powell River in a day.
Not saying it can't be done.
Depending on where they are coming from in King (?) County, traffic, the border and ferry line ups are a huge factor. Two ferries.

Google says 3hrs to the Horseshoe ferry, I'd allow 5, even with reservations.
Google says 4 hrs Horseshoe Bay to Powell River, I'd allow for 1 missed ferry so anywhere from 2 to 4.5 hours.
Plan well.

As far as where to from Desolation; pick a route, you simply can't go wrong.

Thanks HW. That looks like a good recommendation.

As for the driving, I will have them take a close look at that. Do you know if in the summer they might have better luck with the ferries on a Monday rather than a Sunday?

Some other questions:

I have always considered going up through the Gulf Islands then crossing the Strait of Georgia South of Texada Island. However, as someone pointed out, I could go up the East side. If I was to run to Anacortes the first day, where would be a good second day stop?

Second question, if Powell River is harder for my kids to drive to, what about Pender Harbor? A little farther South but still reasonably close to Desolation Sound.

Boy, you are giving my old brain a workout here and I say that with a grin, so don't fret.

The only thing I can tell you with absolute certainly is that Aug 1 is a holiday.

So you either avoid it for ferries or expect anything to happen. Without reservations you could have 2 to 3 sailing waits. Your idea of them heading back on the 31st is the best idea and if they have to drive, I guess Powell River is the best spot so...

Let's do a hypothetical road trip.
Dep SEA 0700 planning to get 1415 ferry.
---Arrive in time for 1200 or 1335 so much the better---
Dep Horseshoe Bay 1415 to get the next ferry at 1940
---Arrive in time for 1730 so much the better---
Worst case arrival in PR 2100

Are Mondays better than Sundays..roll the dice.

----------------------------------------

Other rendezvous like Pender Harbour pose moorage and parking issues that might just complicate things. But at least think about those options "just in case." You'll just have to make a plan and then keep in close contact on the day.

Car via Anacortes, Sidney to Nanaimo is another. 'Cept you have to go back that way then.

Now, would I go up the east side of Texada? No.

I hope others see this discussion and chime in because there are sharper, more current heads than mine.

Being stuck down here in this category won't get it the attention it needs.

Anacortes the first day might just slow you down since you would still have to clear Customs on day 2. RVYC is a good idea. I think.

Last edited:
Tim, thanks for all your ideas and info. I really appreciate it.

I would like to be able to pick up and drop off the kids as far North as possible. Not only does that give us more time in Desolation, it also gives us some time to take the longer way home, whichever way that ends up being. Having said that, Nanaimo isn't a bad idea. I have made that drive myself and it is a bit easier to manage with just one ferry. The Blackball works pretty well if you get up early enough. It does cut down on the time we have in the Desolation Sound area by two days however.

I would like to be able to pick up and drop off the kids as far North as possible. Not only does that give us more time in Desolation, it also gives us some time to take the longer way home.
I do think your original plan for Powell River is a good one as long as planning and patience prevail. On your way back from PR there are some really nice spots in Jervis Inlet that are often bypassed on the rush to DS.

Dave, We should talk. I'm just busy with house guests and High School graduation right now. Give me a few days and I'll give you call. PM sent.

Dave;
You asked about running up the east side of Texada and here is why I said no;

If you were going Nanaimo to Desolation Sound the east side route is a viable option, especially if Whiskey Gulf is active.

However, to me, the west side makes more sense in your case. With the kids driving the 101 you and they would be a lot closer should either of you need to pull over and there are far more safe harbours along that route;
Smuggler Cove
Secret Cove
Pender Harbour
Musket Island Marine Park
Ballet Bay and other nooks

The down side is getting around WG from Nanaimo, if active.

As to Beach Gardens Marina, I've never stayed there, have heard stories of wind and current but it is an alternative to Westvew if you were spooked by an earlier post. There can be challenges but that is where the Spy can probably better advise you.

Thanks Hawgwash. I will try and give Spy a call.
Right now I am think leaving on a Thursday night and make it from Gig Harbor to Kingston. Leave early on Friday and anchor in Prevost Harbor on Stuart. On Saturday, leave early and check into Canada at Bedwell as early as possible, then head for Nanaimo. Nanaimo is full for Sat night because my Yacht Club is cruising there. I can probably raft with a club mate or anchor there for the night. The next morning leave for wherever we will try and meet the kids.

Selfishly, it would work best for me and my wife to meet them in the Westview area. It gives us more time up in the desolation sound area.

We just returned from a 2.5 week trip to DS. We have a 7-8kt boat. Here is our route, traveling each day: Seattle-Pt Townsend-Friday Harbor-Montague Harbor (cleared with Nexus)-Nanaimo-Pender Harbor-DS 4 days-Pender Harbor-Princess Louisa 3 days-Pender Harbor-Nanaimo-Telegraph Harbor-Reid Harbor (cleared customs)-Seattle. We averaged 10kts on the last day with the strong current. I was glad to be in Pender Harbor when I needed a diver to cut some abandoned fishing nets from the running gear I picked up in Jervis and to get a replacement coolant expansion tank hose for the generator that failed. We cruised 630 miles and ran 91 hours. We had our pick of anchorages during this time of year and didn't need to plan to get there earlier than everybody else. Also ran into Alaskan Sea-Duction at Prideaux Haven and had a couple drinks haha.

Latest thought..

Me again, just stewing...

Here is my idea at this point.
7/21 Gig Harbor to Kingston
7/22 Kingston to Prevost Harbor, Stuart Isl
7/23 Prevost to Bedwell Harbor to clear customs then on th Nanaimo
7/24 Nanaimo to Powell River/Westview
Pick up kids that evening.

Then these are just some ideas for the 5 nights we have in DS.
7/25 Squirrel Cove
7/26 Roscoe Bay (West Redondo Isl)
7/27 Pendrell Sound
7/28 Prideaux Haven
7/29 Tenedos Bay
If we find no room, we pick a different spot. If we really like a spot, we stay there. If weather is bad, we hunker down. Whatever we like.

7/30 Make our way to Powell River/Westview
7/31 Take leave of kids and head South

From there, we might go to Pender then up to Princess Luisa inlet, or just spend a few days in the gulf islands before heading back home.

I will try and call Spy again regarding the Powell River area. Those two days are the only really critical parts of the planning.

We have done this trip many years leaving from Gig Harbor... The only possible show stopper is crossing the straits of Georgia.. I would personally have your kids meet you in Nanaimo. Have them get a reservation on the Black Ball, that way they avoid all the traffic on I5... and if the straits are kicked up you and the kids are on the same side of the water... In all the trips we have made north the straits of G have been the most problematic... We have made many trips where they are like a lake, I have also had to wait 4 days to cross..

By stopping in Kingston the first night, is that to keep your options open for crossing the strait?

Take a look at this table. Clicking on the links opens more information.

Nautical Mile Table Index

Thanks Bob. I have used that table a lot this spring. It is great. I would like to figure out how to archive those pages for when I don't have Internet access.

We have done this trip many years leaving from Gig Harbor... The only possible show stopper is crossing the straits of Georgia.. I would personally have your kids meet you in Nanaimo. Have them get a reservation on the Black Ball, that way they avoid all the traffic on I5... and if the straits are kicked up you and the kids are on the same side of the water... In all the trips we have made north the straits of G have been the most problematic... We have made many trips where they are like a lake, I have also had to wait 4 days to cross..

Yup, that is one of the potential problems. The other of course is the strait of Juan de Fuca. We considered meeting them in Nanaimo, but we would like to be on the East side of the Georgia Strait after we drop them off. It is a long haul for them to drive, but we looked at the border wait times and the ferry schedule and they can make it in a day, getting to the ferries 2 hours before sailing and even have leeway to miss a sailing or two.

By stopping in Kingston the first night, is that to keep your options open for crossing the strait?

It helps us with the current getting out of Puget Sound. We will be able to follow the ebb out of the sound into the strait then catch the flood going North into the San Juans. It also gives us a bit more leeway should weather be an issue. Winds tend to pick up in the afternoon, so the earlier we can cross the better.

There is also the small matter of getting my wife out the door. From experience, I have found that I can never leave on time. Going to Kingston gives us a 4 hour run and it isn't a problem if we don't leave the dock on time. Once we are away from home it isn't a problem.

Me again, just stewing...

Here is my idea at this point.
7/21 Gig Harbor to Kingston
7/22 Kingston to Prevost Harbor, Stuart Isl
7/23 Prevost to Bedwell Harbor to clear customs then on th Nanaimo
7/24 Nanaimo to Powell River/Westview
Pick up kids that evening.

Then these are just some ideas for the 5 nights we have in DS.
7/25 Squirrel Cove
7/26 Roscoe Bay (West Redondo Isl)
7/27 Pendrell Sound
7/28 Prideaux Haven
7/29 Tenedos Bay
If we find no room, we pick a different spot. If we really like a spot, we stay there. If weather is bad, we hunker down. Whatever we like.

7/30 Make our way to Powell River/Westview
7/31 Take leave of kids and head South

From there, we might go to Pender then up to Princess Luisa inlet, or just spend a few days in the gulf islands before heading back home.

I will try and call Spy again regarding the Powell River area. Those two days are the only really critical parts of the planning.

Can you start a day or two earlier? I say that only because the 24th is a key date for you and it would allow for delays. Then if you got very close to your destination a day or two early, you just take advantage of an extra relaxing day. When a day is critical, I just like to allow extra prior to it.

First let me toss my personal bias over the bridge rail; I have never had any love for Nanaimo so would never deliberately make it a destination. There, that's out of the way.

Ka_sea_ta makes very valid points about crossing Georgia Strait and having all the family on the same side most of the time. To that, I still think the mainland route is the best one for your youngsters with you taking the coast side of Texada.

So before you even cross the line, you should be watching weather and preparing to cross from any point at any time. Egad, I would hate to be stuck in Nanaimo for 4 days.

Other than that, every day on the water is a good one and there is nothing wrong with those plans you have laid out. Just not for me. Too much movement.

Considering the two critical days at either end you have a busy itinerary and at the very least, I expect you will quickly drop at least two of the spots from 25 to 30. I recall an earlier comment that your wife needs to stretch her legs every couple days. Nuff said.

Getting back to the crossing and so I can update my brain charts, what did Spy recommend for course to and over night in Powell River?

Other than that, keep Thetis Island and Silva Bay in the back of your mind for possible northerly adjustments.

.....and don't forget, Aug 1 is a BC stat holiday...crazy long weekend.

Can you start a day or two earlier? I say that only because the 24th is a key date for you and it would allow for delays. Then if you got very close to your destination a day or two early, you just take advantage of an extra relaxing day. When a day is critical, I just like to allow extra prior to it.

Excellent advice, but unfortunately I can't. I am pushing it to take the first Thursday out of the office. This is the first time I have taken two consecutive weeks off in 28 years. I only know that because the only other time was when my daughter was born.

When we are in Nanaimo we should have a good idea of the weather for the next day. We plan to be up and out very early and if looks like we will have a weather delay, we call them to keep them from leaving Tacoma. That way they can wait out weather at home (unpacking in their new house) and leave when we can cross.

dhays; said:
It is a long haul for them to drive, but we looked at the border wait times and the ferry schedule and they can make it in a day, getting to the ferries 2 hours before sailing and even have leeway to miss a sailing or two.
That was one of my biggest concerns as far too many folks underestimate, or fail to understand, the ferry issues.

You get it.:thumb:

First let me toss my personal bias over the bridge rail; I have never had any love for Nanaimo so would never deliberately make it a destination. There, that's out of the way.

Ka_sea_ta makes very valid points about crossing Georgia Strait and having all the family on the same side most of the time. To that, I still think the mainland route is the best one for your youngsters with you taking the coast side of Texada.

So before you even cross the line, you should be watching weather and preparing to cross from any point at any time. Egad, I would hate to be stuck in Nanaimo for 4 days.

Other than that, every day on the water is a good one and there is nothing wrong with those plans you have laid out. Just not for me. Too much movement.

Considering the two critical days at either end you have a busy itinerary and at the very least, I expect you will quickly drop at least two of the spots from 25 to 30. I recall an earlier comment that your wife needs to stretch her legs every couple days. Nuff said.

Getting back to the crossing and so I can update my brain charts, what did Spy recommend for course to and over night in Powell River?

Other than that, keep Thetis Island and Silva Bay in the back of your mind for possible northerly adjustments.

.....and don't forget, Aug 1 is a BC stat holiday...crazy long weekend.

Tried calling Spy a couple times but no luck. I will again.

You are right about too much movement, I think what will happen is we will stop at places for a couple of days if my wife really likes them.

I will keep in mind the idea of crossing before we get to Nanaimo if the weather is good. Don't have a chart in front of me but Pender might be a good spot to aim for if we do that?

That was one of my biggest concerns as far too many folks underestimate, or fail to understand, the ferry issues.

You get it.:thumb:

Yeah, unfortunately all the reservations are taken for the early sailings from the first ferry, but they only reserve 1/2 the space. The nice gal at BC ferries suggested that getting there 1 1/2 hours before sailing would be plenty of time. The kids are planning on 2 hours. The border is another issue but I looked at the historical water times for late July Sunday crossings the past couple years and it isn't bad at all at the time they will be crossing.

dhays; said:
Don't have a chart in front of me but Pender might be a good spot to aim for if we do that?
Lots of little hidey holes between Gibsons and Hardy Island but yeah, logical dockage would be Secret Cove or Pender Harbour.

Royal Vancouver YC has outstations at Secret Cove and Garden Bay.
Maybe recip options?

DH

Marine weather looks good for next 5 days north of Nanaimo. Good anchorage at Newcastle Is and all sorts of fun things to see and do from that anchorage, by foot no less.

Your guests can catch the Anacortes ferry to avoid the long Blaine lines or just grind through the wait and catch the ferry to Nanaimo or Schwartz Bay. So many options ---- not to mention the ferry from Comox to Powell River by foot while you are at PR Marina.

Dozens of alternatives. :thumb:

sunchaser; said:
Good anchorage at Newcastle Is and all sorts of fun things to see and do from that anchorage, by foot no less.
Newcastle I could handle.
In October.

Dave,
As I read this thread, you will be going north on the west side of Whidbey Is., It would be a much easier run to go on the east side up past Everett to LaConner, then to Mt Vernon. The water is much calmer and you will be protected all the way. Also when you enter Canada, you will already be on the Powell River side and wont have to cross the Straits .

Personally, I'd pick up the kids in Steveston. No ferry to worry about. It's two days to travel from Steveston to Desolation. I do it every year. Night before in Point Roberts. Easy day to go to Steveston where you can clear customs. The kids clear customs in Blaine and its 40 minutes to Steveston. Two 52 mile runs to Desolation.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Dave,
As I read this thread, you will be going north on the west side of Whidbey Is., It would be a much easier run to go on the east side up past Everett to LaConner, then to Mt Vernon. The water is much calmer and you will be protected all the way. Also when you enter Canada, you will already be on the Powell River side and wont have to cross the Straits .

Easier, but much longer as far as time goes. Normally, the weather is pretty calm at the end of July so the Straits shouldn't be bad. Georgia Strait could be more of a problem. If it looks like I have a clear weather window on the afternoon of the 23rd, I may cross Georgia Strait and spend the night on the East side, then go up to Powell River on the 24th. Often, winds build in the afternoon, so if it is windy in the afternoon of the 23rd, with accompanying uncomfortable seas, then I'll go to Nanaimo and shoot for an early morning crossing on the 24th.

Of course if the weather is too bad, then I can have the kids meet us a day later or meet us in Nanaimo.

Personally, I'd pick up the kids in Steveston. No ferry to worry about. It's two days to travel from Steveston to Desolation. I do it every year. Night before in Point Roberts. Easy day to go to Steveston where you can clear customs. Two 52 mile runs to Desolation.

Yes, but the kids only have a week of vacation and I have two. So I want to meet them as far North as I can so they get more time. Plus, once we drop off the kids, we are then free to hit places on the way home, maybe including Princess Luisa.

The whole having to actually work for a living really gets in the way. I may be an educated professional in private practice but in many ways I am no different than a plumber. I only get paid when I work. The difference is that when I don't work, my overhead keeps on going anyway. My patients also don't like it when I am not available. I can take as much time off as I like, any time that I like... as long as I don't mind going broke.:facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom