which is best: Nordhavn vs. Kadey Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Oliver is trying to keep it a secret from the OP, but he once told me about this exceptionally hard to find Nordy 46 WorldFish Cruiser. It may be more rare than a safe pair of boat shoes on Oliver's dock, but it just might be the answer to the OP's desires.

Heck if you can't find this rare 46 you could always go for the Nordhavn 75 Yachtfisher.

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart

Attachments

• main-72f0e122daf11310e5698aef441c2dea656c752c[1].jpg
    main-72f0e122daf11310e5698aef441c2dea656c752c[1].jpg
    101 KB · Views: 94
The subject, even though trolled initially, is a good one as it points out purpose built vessels not always being used for that purpose. There is no denying though that like works of art and Teslas, some well built and serious boats are a step or three above mundane and are nice to have.

The list stretches well beyond Ns and KKs. About a dozen brands come to mind, TF member Ed and his Devlin as example. Or the more common Flemings to name a few.

The yachtfish 75 is the perfect answer to the question....although a bit large...and expensive. What about other Yachtfish designs??? Hatteras made a few...Bertram made a few. I know there were some taiwanese builds also. They are older and likely Detroit 2 stroke power....but back it down to 8 knots, the speed of the boats in the OP, and you get "decent" fuel economy. And if you need to get out of the weather, you have the power and speed to do so.

The yachtfish 75 is the perfect answer to the question....although a bit large...and expensive. What about other Yachtfish designs??? Hatteras made a few...Bertram made a few. I know there were some taiwanese builds also. They are older and likely Detroit 2 stroke power....but back it down to 8 knots, the speed of the boats in the OP, and you get "decent" fuel economy. And if you need to get out of the weather, you have the power and speed to do so.

If fishing is that important, it would be hard to beat a used Hatteras sportfisher. It would already be set up for offshore fishing, saving tens of thousands of dollars. And when it came time to sell you wouldn't have something that you'd have to explain. They can go fast or slow, the build quality and factory support is extremely high, and the value unparalleled.

Keith

Hey...more than one sportfish has made it across the Atlantic on her own bottom....

Some guy was in one of the popular rags a few years ago and was on his 2nd or 3rd transatlantic in one of his sportfish.

Peter-also one of my all-time favorites!

Menzies-every time a new thread starts-"What kind of boat should I buy?", we should just point them to your last post and tell them to go for it. Sounds like you really defined your wants and needs well and then found the boat that most meets them. Congrats!

Hey...more than one sportfish has made it across the Atlantic on her own bottom....

Some guy was in one of the popular rags a few years ago and was on his 2nd or 3rd transatlantic in one of his sportfish.

Fuel is their only real drawback, so just lots of bladders.

Wifey B: Go study for your exams, Oliver.....;) :rofl::rofl:

Oh, and everything I know about Nordhavn's, I've learned from Oliver, cause he knows them inside and out, up and down, every size, every build.

Go walk the docks and sit down and talk at length to some owners of different boats. You'll learn a lot. Talk to them about their boats, not the competitor. And get far far far far far...did I say, far?....yes, far away from the freaking brokers or dealers who feel necessary to take pot shots at the other brands.

Yes thank you. That was one of the reasons i started this thread.
i had decided it was time to move to what i think are the best reasonable priced blue water trawlers, not new but well used. I thought a title like, Nordhavn vs. Kady Krogen would get owners to post why they thought their's were the better. Instead people took the time to recommend different models and brands which has taught me so much and confirmed in my mind the NH and KK are very fine vessels of this type. I am very thankful to all for their comments. I've concluded i should just get out there and visit as many of both brands that i can before i plunk down cash that once spent i'm not likely to be able to replace easily.
I'm sorry, but who is Oliver? Sounds like he is the man i need to talk to If I end up finding a Nordahvn.
Dealers Brokers while being a good source of info i see as leeches sucking huge amounts of hard earned money from owners. The commission rates are way way to high with the price of boats as high as they are. I think they should charge a set fee and add expenses like mooring etc.
Just my opinion. So far i have found only a couple for sale by owner most are listed with brokers.

I gather, and I mean no disrespect by this, that he is a kid (ie, 16ish) with a shoe fetish.

Wifey B: That's him. N4712. He's far more knowledgeable than he'll admit. He is still a kid but was doing all sorts of stuff with the electronics even a couple of years ago. There are other knowledgeable Nordhavn people here too. Just he's been the one to educate me. :)

Oh no, there goes my cover!:lol:

Wifey B: That's him. N4712. He's far more knowledgeable than he'll admit. He is still a kid but was doing all sorts of stuff with the electronics even a couple of years ago. There are other knowledgeable Nordhavn people here too. Just he's been the one to educate me. :)
Is he your son?

You are still hung up on brands???

Which is better. Now that I have a little more feel for what you are going to do, I suggest the Krogen.
Thank you. But i must ask why? From what I've read they seem to use less fuel but i learned long ago not to trust factory numbers in this regard for boats. Its not the cost of fuel that concerns me as much as the squandering of the earths non renewable resources. Why waste it if you don't have to. I like Greenline vessels because of this but they are not widely available and expensive. I do like the KK39, nice compact size with extreme range according to the factory

Spill the beans Oliver. You are wifey B's son and B's illegitimate stepson. The shame has caused you to succumb to your foot fetish satisfied by stealing boat shoes :)

Wifey B: I would be proud if he was my son, but he isn't. He was also convicted on the shoe theft over completely circumstantial evidence. His trip out of the country was planned well before the show. Note that he's never been seen wearing them although would be a great improvement over his flip flops. :)

Now, get to bed. You have exams tomorrow....:rofl:

So uh, these Nordhavn's are pretty nice , eh?

(Slowly exits stage left and hauls butt out the backdoor)

:D

LOL, If anything it's the opposite.

If he hadn't told us, I don't think anyone here would know he wasn't four times his age. My wife and I were shocked the first time he told us.

Is he your son?

Dude,
I don't know where you are from, but around here (and I am not even from the south), it is considered to be the height of social offense to ask any question from which one might reasonably infer that you even could conceive the possibility that any particular woman is more than 28 years old. Shame on you.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for an answer for the 40' DeFever he owned years ago and wishes he had never sold. When was it sold?
First of all it wasn't just my decision there were three of us and i was not able to shoulder the expenses alone. What you may be thinking of was my interest in one recently maybe six years ago and off topic this disscussion is regarding Nordhavn vs. KK.

First of all it wasn't just my decision there were three of us and i was not able to shoulder the expenses alone. What you may be thinking of was my interest in one recently maybe six years ago and off topic this disscussion is regarding Nordhavn vs. KK.

Hold it. We tolerate your topic and discussion and you're going to say "off topic" when you don't like a question. Your boating background and previous ownership is very much on topic for this thread as is the recommendation of other boats that might fit your needs better. We've all tried to assist in a discussion centered around basically a stupid and unanswerable question and that's how you're going to respond.

Dude,
I don't know where you are from, but around here (and I am not even from the south), it is considered to be the height of social offense to ask any question from which one might reasonably infer that you even could conceive the possibility that any particular woman is more than 28 years old. Shame on you.

opps...:eek:.....I scincerly appolojize for my indescresion. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.:flowers: From my vantage point almost all women are young girls being almost 70
I mean i am almost 70

opps...:eek:.....I scincerly appolojize for my indescresion. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.:flowers: From my vantage point almost all women are young girls being almost 70
I mean i am almost 70

Wifey B: I'm half your age then. :)

We have a daughter 4 years older than Oliver but then we didn't adopt her until she was 18. Guess not legally our daughter but to us she is.

Britt-I would take anything you are told regarding fuel consumption on the Greenline with a grain of salt. I did a lot of research on diesel-electric hybrids and the reality is there is no real discernable difference in fuel consumption between a diesel hybrid and a traditional straight drive in the same boat. The largest verifiable difference I have ever been able to find is somewhat less than 3% and it derives from the diesel being run at nearly constant speed in a hybrid vs the variable speed in a direct drive. The physics is pretty straightforward. It takes the same energy to move the boat whether that energy reaches the shaft through a diesel generator driven electric motor or through a traditional engine/transmission setup.

Thank you. But i must ask why? ...... I do like the KK39, nice compact size with extreme range according to the factory

No mystery, no bias. All boats are compromises and are designed to fit a certain market and purpose. The Krogens and Nordhavns, in general, are full displacement single engine boats designed for long distance travel. Many times I have posted that I would not recommend a Krogen (or unsaid a Nordhavn) for someone looking to do the Great Loop or spend time on the ICW. For that use I recommend other boats where the features match the intended use.

Between the Krogen and the Nordhavn lines, the Nordhavn designers have made design choices such as small "rooms", small windows, waterproof bulkheads, location of staterooms, fuel tank manifolds, etc etc which increase the useability of the boat in heavy seas such as one could encounter crossing an ocean. These features are wonderful for that purpose but they make the Nordhavn boats slightly more expensive and slightly less livable when island hopping, living at anchor or just cruising the the North American East Coast.

Thus if one were to plan on multiple trips across oceans where the distances are larger than weather forecasting windows, or even if one were to plan on trips to Hawaii, the South Pacific, or even just numerous runs down the California coast to Mexico I would recommend the Nordhavn line.

The Krogens however are more livable, cheaper and perfectly capable of all the island hopping one wants to do in the Caribbean.

Your plans for fishing in a full displacement boat are somewhat unusual, but what you describe does not take you more than two days from shore. These distances mean that you should have fairly good weather coverage and should avoid the worst of the weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom