which is best: Nordhavn vs. Kadey Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"It sounds more like "How many posts can i get with this topic?"

"Single or twin" and the various "anchor" religions get the same high responses.

Somewhere here recently (oh that's right, 2 posts above this one) I thought you mentioned that you used to own a DeFever 40. This thread must have helped you decide to buy it.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/marinetrader-vs-defever-7801.html

Why and when did you sell it?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/what-8520.html

All told you've started over 25 threads and have over 1,000 posts(mostly talking in circles) that anyone can search at anytime.

You mentioned in your posts during that time period thinking about buying a Grady White... So you bought and sold it in the last 3 years too...

Look Britt, if you wanna troll this place and the mods are cool with it then so am I, this stuff is entertaining to read. Just don't think you're BS'ing everybody here, just some of the newer ones.

Yes the 270 is in Texas now.
Why, Is it not allowed to have more than one boat and in different places? Life's too short to limit ones self especially if one has the resources to do otherwise. My goal is to die broke leaving nothing for my heirs but bills:)

Well, owning multiple boats is certainly an effective means of meeting that goal!

Somewhere here recently (oh that's right, 2 posts above this one) I thought you mentioned that you used to own a DeFever 40. This thread must have helped you decide to buy it.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/marinetrader-vs-defever-7801.html

Why and when did you sell it?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/what-8520.html

All told you've started over 25 threads and have over 1,000 posts(mostly talking in circles) that anyone can search at anytime.

You mentioned in your posts during that time period thinking about buying a Grady White... So you bought and sold it in the last 3 years too...

Look Britt, if you wanna troll this place and the mods are cool with it then so am I, this stuff is entertaining to read. Just don't think you're BS'ing everybody here, just some of the newer ones.

:thumb::whistling:

Wow - that took 6 pages on my computer before that hit the screen. But then, most of us boat owners are unfaithful. Always looking at another pretty curve of a bow or stern. So... we'll chat up the dream boats for what-ifs all day. So... no illusions here. If I win the lotto... here's another thread to review before I run out an buy a new boat this weekend. :dance:

So good luck bfloyd4445. Troll or serious boat purchaser - I have my opinion. It's been an entertaining what-if thread. Especially Wifey B. ;)

Cheers! Happy weekend everyone! :flowers:

Last edited:
Well, in that case why not get them both then come back here in a few months and let us know how you feel they are different.

Well, in that case why not get them both then come back here in a few months and let us know how you feel they are different.

Wifey B: What a simple solution. ;)

I think based on that I'll start a thread...which is best, Fountain vs. Nortech.

This thread reminds me of talk radio. People call in to tell the host how much they hate his show, but turns out they listen to it every day. :lol:

Wifey- In that case start a Yellowfin Vs SeaVee Vs Invincible Vs Intrepid.

lol

Wifey- In that case start a Yellowfin Vs SeaVee Vs Invincible Vs Intrepid.

lol

Wifey B: Could do so, Oliver, but you left out Contender and a few others. How about a Dusky vs. Whaler thread? :)

I have no experience with either and the reason for this thread was to entice owners to relate their experience. No one yet has said which is better. Yes, both together would be nice. Don't have cash to buy both a Nordhavn and a KK. Guess its time to buy a lottery ticket:).....or two...

Wifey B: Now Oliver would want us to do a group with Bayliss as well. So, Bayliss vs. Spencer vs. ACY vs. Weaver vs. Buddy Davis. :)

Well you forgot F&S!! Could go on for days LOL.

Well you forgot F&S!! Could go on for days LOL.

Wifey B: Go study for your exams, Oliver.....;) :rofl::rofl:

Oh, and everything I know about Nordhavn's, I've learned from Oliver, cause he knows them inside and out, up and down, every size, every build.

Go walk the docks and sit down and talk at length to some owners of different boats. You'll learn a lot. Talk to them about their boats, not the competitor. And get far far far far far...did I say, far?....yes, far away from the freaking brokers or dealers who feel necessary to take pot shots at the other brands.

No one yet has said which is better.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Now, uh, Ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question.
D.A. Jim Trotter: Does that mean that you can't answer it?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question, it's impossible to answer.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Now, uh, Ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question.
D.A. Jim Trotter: Does that mean that you can't answer it?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bullshit question, it's impossible to answer.

I'd say that's dead-on balls accurate.

Wifey B: Go study for your exams, Oliver.....;) :rofl::rofl:

Oh, and everything I know about Nordhavn's, I've learned from Oliver, cause he knows them inside and out, up and down, every size, every build.

Go walk the docks and sit down and talk at length to some owners of different boats. You'll learn a lot. Talk to them about their boats, not the competitor. And get far far far far far...did I say, far?....yes, far away from the freaking brokers or dealers who feel necessary to take pot shots at the other brands.

What, what, what?....:hide:

I think you're exaggerating my knowledge, I know my boat inside out. But appreciate the kind words. :)

d.a. Jim trotter: now, uh, ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... What would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 bel air chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
mona lisa vito: it's a bullshit question.
d.a. Jim trotter: does that mean that you can't answer it?
mona lisa vito: it's a bullshit question, it's impossible to answer.

brilliant!!!!

What, what, what?....:hide:

I think you're exaggerating my knowledge, I know my boat inside out. But appreciate the kind words. :)

I think Oliver is trying to keep it a secret from the OP, but he once told me about this exceptionally hard to find Nordy 46 WorldFish Cruiser. It may be more rare than a safe pair of boat shoes on Oliver's dock, but it just might be the answer to the OP's desires.

Attachments

• Nordhavn 46 Sport Fish.jpg
    Nordhavn 46 Sport Fish.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 382
I have no experience with either and the reason for this thread was to entice owners to relate their experience. No one yet has said which is better. Yes, both together would be nice. Don't have cash to buy both a Nordhavn and a KK. Guess its time to buy a lottery ticket:).....or two...
Which is better. Now that I have a little more feel for what you are going to do, I suggest the Krogen.

Which is better. Now that I have a little more feel for what you are going to do, I suggest the Krogen.
Sorry, Marty ...I think it's the Nordy!:blush:

But to finish out Miss Vito's dialog, the reason it's a bullshit question is because neither the Kadey nor the Nordy is optimized for the use described by the OP. So the answer would be neither. Go look at boats more geared towards fishing. At a bare minimum you will benefit from a larger cockpit without an overhang. And also get a VHF so you will know several days in advance of the feared Force 10 storm and can go home.

And now it's time to move on from this circular discussion.....

We considered the Nordhavns for about two years since I have three brothers back in Ireland who wanted to do the Atlantic crossing. Our home was about to be paid up and retirement was in two years. We visited with the N folks many times, joined Nordhavn Dreamers forum etc.. We were coming up on decision time we sat back and considered some things.

First, my wife was not interested in doing the crossing. So we would be buying this for myself and others, not us. Additionally once you cross an ocean you have to come back. Was I really interested in doing that - or paying ~40K to ship her back?

Depreciation. Did I really want to take a bigger depreciation hit in retirement?

Longer term plans:

I always wanted to live on deep water with the boat at the bottom of the garden or in an adjoining marina.
We wanted to do The Loop, afterwards the islands all the way down to the ABC islands, and either back the same way or around the Western Carribbean. Our real dream ticket was to do the Panama Canal, Sea of Cortez, and the North West.

We made the call based on our longer term wants and dreams rather than the one-off big adventure.

We sold the house and bought an appreciating asset on the water, with a dock we recently expanded to 54'.
We expanded our boat check-list based on in-land, coastal, Island, with occasional blue water between-the-islands and large lake crossing, and a boat that could handle what would in all likelihood be thrown at us.
We had a number of false starts, but we feel we have ended up exactly where we needed to be, with no remorse.

So think carefully on your longer term plans, what life you want in retirement and where you want to go. Be careful buying for the one-off, that may or may not happen.

Attachments

• P1000603.jpg
    P1000603.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 99
  • YW1.JPG
    YW1.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 105
My thoughts on a cruising boat. For the cruiser who wants to travel, not go back to the home marine for months or years, spend four or more months a year at anchor and is east of the Panama Canal, I suggest the cruiser will be more constrained by having a boat too long or with too much air draft than a boat not big enough to handle the seas for the East Coast or the Caribbean. The canals in North American are an important part of cruising, these are limited to 19ft air draft. The mooring balls at Annapolis and several East Coast harbors are limited to boats under 50 feet (45 for Annapolis).

Yet a 42 ft Krogen and many 46 and 40 ft Nordhavns have crossed the Atlantic.

All boats are compromises, what you give up to be able to handle Force X winds and seas may be very important to enjoying your time on the boat. Better to avoid the heavy seas.

To the OP: I'm curious. I admit, I haven't read EVERY post here, but have read quite a few. Why has Diesel Duck not entered your equation? Again, I'm just curious, but as far as passagemaking and rough seas, it seems like a good fit to me.........just asking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom