Contract Signed / New Build Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We now have spent a few days on our Helmsman 38PH and in response to the photo of the OSR photo I will say your satisfaction is just beginning. The finish work is great, the under bed drawers slide with precision, the shower and head doors fit like a glove and there is ample storage in both the shower and the separate head.

We chose the Garmin electronics suite for Rain Shadow because we had Garmin on our two previous boats plus we have had great service when needed. Also the 7616xsv has wifi so we can repeat all the MFD displays on our iPad as a second station. We are only five years into PNW cruising so we stayed with the familiar.

I can't yet speak to boat performance but the boat finishing, attention to details like engine room wiring and traces, fiberglas work and the delivery process through Scott and Waterline are all very reassuring.

Visited the Yard in Fuzhou

John,

I have been following your thread with great interest so wanted you to know I went to Fuzhou a couple weeks ago to visit the yard with Scott and his business partner David. Thought I would share with you some highlights of the visit. They didn't exactly blindfold me on the drive to the yard, but I am sworn to secrecy on its exact location.

I did go aboard your boat, it is coming along nicely, will attach a picture if I can figure out how, I have several HD videos, but too big to post. My boat is a ways behind yours, just came out of the mold the day before I arrived.

Good to see some of the new design features on your boat, and again thanks for you inputs to Helmsman on many of these, they make a great design even better.

The Cummin's guy was there and I got to witness the first engine start on the first boat with the new sound attenuating material in the floors. Started right up and purred like a kitten. That boat is going to an owner on Bainbridge Island. I think the consensus was its a success, don't know how much the Db improved.

Toured the woodworking shop. Its all done in-house, their cabinet makers have been with them many years and they know their stuff. Thats one reason the joinery is so phenomenal on these boats. Saw stacks and stacks of Burmese Teak, they are not going to run short.

Similar story on the upholstery shop, all done in-house, great workmanship.

One impression from my visit, these boats are all built by hand, and there is a ton of labor that goes into each. The yard owner "Wilson" told me its more than 18,000 hours for a 38PH.

All in all a good visit, it was a long way to go but really glad I could see the boats being built and meet the yard owners. They hosted us for a traditional Chinese dinner with lots of interesting items on the menu. Best of all was the unlimited supply of Tsingtao Beer.

Gosh it must be great to be able to order a new boat, and even visit the build site and collaborate along the way. Better even than the satisfaction I imagine owners get who order a new Ferrari, and are actually able to visit the plant in Italy, and then one day drive their car out of the factory. Somehow I doubt I'll ever experience that feeling...better get the Powerball entry in...

Yard Visit

John,

I have been following your thread with great interest so wanted you to know I went to Fuzhou a couple weeks ago to visit the yard with Scott and his business partner David. Thought I would share with you some highlights of the visit. They didn't exactly blindfold me on the drive to the yard, but I am sworn to secrecy on its exact location.

Balance of post left off.......

Thank you for your post and insight into the factory. I have thought about making the trip myself but held off a number of reasons including potential issues with my security clearance. Hearing first hand from another future owning is always great and provides another perspective. I just received updated photos from Scott which I will post today. I will touch base with you off line to learn more without taking over this post. thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress Report

We just received a few nice photos showing significant progress on the boat. All the floors appear to be completed and work is focused on the carpentry. Since our boat has a completely redesigned salon / galley I anticipate it will take a little longer than a standard layout but hopefully not too much longer.

The first photo shows progress on the salon with the starboard side seating area nearly completed. Behind the worker you can see the cutout for the Washer / Dryer (a nice louvered door will cover it) with an open storage area above it. Work on the galley to port will follow. One take away from this photo is how large (for a 38') and open the area is and should remain once we are complete.

The second photo is of the OSR and the island bed. There will be four drawers under the front of the bed. One item Mary picked up on was anchor locker access. On our previous boats there was a large access door on the forward bulkhead leading to the anchor locker which was always a problem with cold air venting through. In the winter months we would have to cover it up with a thick blanket to help with the draft. While easy access to the anchor chain was a "nice to have" in case we needed it (never did) the down side was the cold air draft.

John

John

Attachments

• Salon Galley Fab June.jpg
    Salon Galley Fab June.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 703
  • OSR Fab June.jpg
    OSR Fab June.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 711
More Photo's

These two photos of the PH show progress on the forward consoles and port side seating area. For the first time we can see the impact of the redesigned forward facing windows / roofline. No change to the overall size or quantity of the windows or the PH itself, just tweaking the appearance slightly to offer a more serious look (our opinion). Again we can start to gain an appreciation for the overall size of the PH which was one of reasons we selected this boat.

Attachments

• PH Fab June.jpg
    PH Fab June.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 702
  • PH Fwd Fab Jun.jpg
    PH Fwd Fab Jun.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 699
Phot Time

Lets try posting one photo and see how large we can get it.

Attachments

• PH Fwd Fab Jun.jpg
    PH Fwd Fab Jun.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 699
John, your image files are about 4-5 Kb each and are too small to show much detail on my computer. Do you have a larger image file to attach?

Next Photo

OK, lets try a different approach to posting large photos. This is another photo of the salon with the sofa taking shape on the starboard side. You can see the nice piece of furniture forward which ties into the built in Washer / Dryer cabinet and open space above - all part of the new design. We would have continued the sofa further but we needed to make room for the stairs leading up to the PH and for the W/D door to open. We still have over eight feet of sofa when with this design allowing plenty of room for Mary and I to stretch out and watch a little TV in the evening. We are still deciding if we should add two ottomans like we did on a previous boat which creates an even larger area for stretching out.

Anyone with a very sharp eye may see the slightly smaller salon windows and little extra interior wood between the two. Things are looking good.

John

Attachments

• Salon Fab June 2.jpg
    Salon Fab June 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 156
Anyone with a very sharp eye may see the slightly smaller salon windows and little extra interior wood between the two.

The pictures are much better this way!

Guess my eye isn't very sharp at all and perhaps I have forgotten what you changed with the salon windows but as I look out the window of our condo, there is a beautiful 3 year old H38 in a slip about 50 yards from us and I walk by it often admiring it. On your build, I do notice the extra interior wood between the windows but both of his salon windows are slanted. One slants forward and the other slants aft. Your rectangular window appears to be quite a bit larger than either of his. This is just an observation and not a criticism either way.

One other comment. The owner of the H38 had installed an electric dinghy hoist (sorry forgot the name of these things) to replace his swim platform last year. This year, the dinghy hoist is gone and a swim platform is back on. Haven't seen them around to ask about that and what they plan to use for davits.

Larger Photos

Lets try a few larger photos; OSR and PH looking aft.

Attachments

• OSR Fab June Large.jpg
    OSR Fab June Large.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 143
  • PH Fab June Large.jpg
    PH Fab June Large.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 116
I gotta say, I never tire of looking at boats being built.....

This reminds me: Maybe 15 years or so ago someone posted some scanned photographs of their sailboat being built--it was a Pearson, maybe a 39. One of the photographs was of the hull with systems installed (engine, tanks, water heater) before the liner was lowered in.

Another owner of that model replied with a short comment of "Damn, I KNEW they installed the water heater before completing the interior."

Funny how that one sentence told a whole story...

Great photos John, she's really coming along! :thumb:

Slighly Off Topic

Our First Boat

While the following may be a little “out of the norm” for TF I decided to make this post in memory of a very special person who served his country proud during the Korea war and taught me how to work hard and follow my dreams.
Today I attended my dad’s funeral on the north shore of Long Island, NY and said my final goodbyes. Besides being a great father and family man he taught me how to fish and when I was 15 years old he purchased us our first boat (16’ tri-hull with 50hp outboard). I can still remember the day he drove me to the dealership (without mentioning he had purchased the boat) walked me into the showroom and asked if I would like this boat. No words can express my level of excitement and gratitude as I crawled all over the boat.
I recall the first time we took the boat out on the Great South Bay of Long Island. It was a late afternoon and dad had just got home from work. We planned to just take the boat out for our first test run as we raced the sunset and set a direct course for Fire Island inlet. We weren’t half way there when we ended up in six inches of water in the middle of the bay. What we lacked in navigation skills we made up with enthusiasm, adventure and eventually experience.
The first month we owned the boat dad had to spend three long weeks in Guam to support the refugee evacuations during the final days of the Vietnam War. While he was gone my best friend and I spent one entire night camping out in the boat as it sat on its trailer in our driveway. I probably took the boat cover off and on every few days just to be able to sit inside our new boat. Soon after dad returned, we took the boat out for a full day of fishing and clamming. It didn’t take us long to develop a routine where I would prepare the boat for trips, dad would trailer it to the marina, we would launch it together and upon returning home he would clean the fish while I washed the boat. We were a great team and worked well together.
We used that little boat almost year round for three years for fishing, clamming, water skiing and just cruising around both shores of Long Island. I remember one of our best winter flounder fishing trips took place in the worst weather conditions. It was a clear but windy late November day, temperatures were in the mid 40’s and the bay was full of white caps. We stayed close to the marina as we anchored out under one of the bridges and sipped on hot chocolate as we kept our heads below the canvas top and the driving wind outside. After a slow first hour, a few missed hits and with our supply of bloodworms running low we found ourselves starting to catch one fish after another. Within an hour we were out of bait and using the partially uneaten worms from fish we caught to keep us going. We caught so many flounder we were throwing them back. What a day! Funny how we didn’t feel the cold as soon as we started catching fish.
Then there was the first time we ventured outside the inlet to open ocean looking for deep water fluke. I caught my fist and only “Barn Door” fluke that trip which remains the largest fish I ever caught. Then there was the time were fishing for weakfish in the channel and dad reached over the transom to net my catch falling overboard. Not one to lose focus, he was back up in the boat within a minute dripping wet, the net in one hand and his cigar still in his mouth. We had many great talks on that boat not only about fishing but life in general. While dad was not overly affectionate I knew he loved his family and would do anything he could for us.
Once I turned 16 and received my driver’s license I started taking the boat out myself with friends (dad trusted me). I would even take the boat out alone just to enjoy being on the water. While dad and I still took the boat out together, the number of times started to dwindle. After I left for college he stopped using the boat, sold it and took up fresh water fly fishing and racquetball which he played into his 80’s. The time we spent together on the water went too fast and I was too young to truly appreciate every moment. His visits to see us on the west coast combined with “life in general” just didn’t allow for time together on the water and is something I regret.
I know we should not look back on life and dwell on the things “we wish we did” and “things we wish we didn’t do” but it’s difficult. I’m thankful to god for those “special years” spent with dad on our little boat. I guess the real take away from all this is that it’s not the size or type of boat that matters but rather who you spend time with aboard that really counts. Thanks Dad for the great memories.
Your son, John

I'm sorry for your loss and thankful for your father's service to our country.
That was well written and very touching. Thank you sharing your memories with us.

That's a very sweet story John. Lifetime memories that many of us can relate to.

Am a Suffolk County boy. Pop was a lifetime Grumman engineer working on AWACS and EA-6Bs. We boated out of what was called "Anchorage Marina" but that was 40+ years ago. Remembering fishing flounder with cans of corn and with those damn bloodworms still sends chills down my spine. To this day I still refuse to touch 'em!

That's a very sweet story John. Lifetime memories that many of us can relate to.

Am a Suffolk County boy. Pop was a lifetime Grumman engineer working on AWACS and EA-6Bs. We boated out of what was called "Anchorage Marina" but that was 40+ years ago. Remembering fishing flounder with cans of corn and with those damn bloodworms still sends chills down my spine. To this day I still refuse to touch 'em!

1950's my dad was American Bosch and Westinghouse engineer. 1960's Grumman engineer on the LEM project moon landing's jointed landing gear . During those decades... We did south shore fishing inside and outside Short Beach Inlet. I fully relate to your story and thank you for it!!

Art

Last edited:
I also have many fond memories of boating with my father. We had a little runabout with an Evinrude outboard. Dad probably spent three hours working on the motor for every hour we spent on the waters around Portsmouth, NH. One of my favorites was when we would beach the boat on a little island that had an abandoned Cost Guard lifeboat station. We would have lunch on the rocks then I would explore the crumbling building. Dad is still around, thank God, but sadly his health has prevented him from coming to visit and ride on our current boat. Hope to get to NH very soon for a visit with him and my mother - life is short.

For those of you with fond memories with your father, don't take that for granted as many, including both of us, have only bad memories with ours. Unfortunately, in today's world, those fond memories seem even less common. There are many children out there who long for that you had.

For those of you with fond memories with your father, don't take that for granted as many, including both of us, have only bad memories with ours. Unfortunately, in today's world, those fond memories seem even less common. There are many children out there who long for that you had.

Yup. I never took the relationship I had with my parents for granted. I knew I was fortunate from the time I was a kid.

Parenting is a full time job that, as near as I can tell, never really ends. It is unfortunate that there are so many that don't seem to realize it.

Kind of like a boat. Don't buy one if you can't handle the maintenance. ;)

Progress Report

I would like to thank all the TF members for their kind words and related stories. Very much appreciated.

Now back to the boat. While we do not have any new photo's to share today but hope to see some very soon along with an estimated completion date from the yard. We receive our renewed Passports this week which is great since we plan to the take the boat to Ensenada, Mexico this summer for a long weekend and you cannot re-enter the USA from Mexico without a passport.

At this point in the build process with the insurance, financing, LLC and marina slip all pretty much on hold, there is not much more we can do until we have firm shipment date. Once we know that then its made rush to the notary and signing lots and lots of documents. When we purchased our last boat (N3522) we spent over $350 in notary costs (ouch). Funny thing about a new boat is the non-boat related costs that you never think about budgeting.

Well that's about it for today, thanks again to everyone who is following us on our journey.

John

John,

So sorry for your loss. Nice recollections. Made me recall many of my great memories! Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious (and ignorant, some say :facepalm:) about what's included in a new boat buy. Do you get all USCG safety equipment in the boat upon delivery or must you provide your own PFDs, flares, lines, ground tackle, etc.

We had the same boat built for us in 2008/9. We moved aboard when we took possession. over 7 years and 18,000 miles. We have enjoyed it every minute. If you have any questions we are glad to share our experience and our little tweeks to outfit her.

New Boat Equipment

John,

So sorry for your loss. Nice recollections. Made me recall many of my great memories! Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious (and ignorant, some say :facepalm:) about what's included in a new boat buy. Do you get all USCG safety equipment in the boat upon delivery or must you provide your own PFDs, flares, lines, ground tackle, etc.

The short answer is yes! If you look at the Helmsman web-site you will see a complete list of all standard equipment. I don't believe we ever purchased a new boat that didn't come with standard safety equipment. We will add the EPIR or emergency locating transmitter at a cost or around $750.

John

The short answer is yes! If you look at the Helmsman web-site you will see a complete list of all standard equipment. I don't believe we ever purchased a new boat that didn't come with standard safety equipment. We will add the EPIR or emergency locating transmitter at a cost or around $750.

John

We've found the same on new boats. I think there is an imperative to deliver a boat that can be legally and safely operated.

It was not necessarily that way on the lake, on smaller boats.

Last edited:
Progress Report - Early June

Yesterday was a good day with Scott providing over 20 photos of the boat. Progress can clearly be seen inside the boat with the new salon / galley design is starting to take shape. We are very pleased with the progress the past week and the ECD of mid July.
The photo on the left was taken from the pilothouse looking aft. We can see the L-Shape sofa to the left and galley to the right including the sink area next to the salon door entry, cut out for the stove/oven and box for the refrigerator. The photo on the right is the view upon entering the salon/galley from the aft deck. Large and open are the words that come mind as we look forward. We can see the day head to port, entry into the PH in the center and salon area to starboard.

Remember I cautioned that is not good to make changes once you sign the contract? Well we did it again today, after seeing these photos and the clean forward bulkhead (port side) I spoke with Scott about possibly deleting the future cabinet. Long story short we decided to go with a smaller Microwave oven in the center cabinet with wood trim.

More photos to follow during the week.

John

Attachments

• IMG_9377.jpg
    IMG_9377.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Salon & Galley 50%.jpg
    Salon & Galley 50%.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 134
It is great to see these pictures of your boat being built. We did not get too many when ours was built. It looks like you have flipped the main salon port for starboard? That speaks volumes about the builder. Extensive ability to customize the layout. What will our refrigerator and freezer be? Will they be the drawer type?

Pilothouse Photo

The photos below show progress on the PH. One of the reasons we decided on the H38 was its very large and well thought out PH. The first photo is taking from the OSR looking aft were we can see the custom captains seating area along with the L-Shape seating area to port. The electrical cabinet directly behind and below the captain seat is ready for the circuit breaker panel. Having easy direct access to the CB panel is another nice to have. Below the L-shaped seating area is plenty of additional storage. Things are looking good. The second photo looking to starboard shows the map storage area and steering station. More photos to follow tomorrow.

John

Attachments

• PH 50%.jpg
    PH 50%.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 108
  • PH #2 50%.jpg
    PH #2 50%.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 105

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom