View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
When I sold my Catalina 36 it was with mixed emotions. It was the boat my parents had restored from a complete disaster. It was the boat that my kids had spent many days on with their grandparents and cousins. It was the boat that my Dad was on when he had his stroke. It was the boat that I would take my kids out on for great vacations when they were at the age when time with parents was a distant second to time with friends. It was the boat that my wife I and I got to enjoy peaceful weekends on just the two of us. We loved that boat and all it represented. I was sad to see it go.

OTOH, I was incredibly relieved to have it sell. I had already bought another boat and needed to get it sold. I didn't have the money, time, or emotional energy to own two sailboat at the same time.

Now I am in the same situation. I need to get my sailboat sold. I am not as emotionally attached to this boat as I was the former boat (although my daughter didn't speak to me for two weeks after we told her we were going to sell it). Selling it is admitting that I'm not as fit as I used to be. Who am I if I'm not a sailor? However, I still don't have the money, time, or emotional energy to own two boats. So I will be a bit sad when the boat sells, I will also be incredibly relieved.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote