Freshwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrisHamish

Vessel Name
Beluga
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi guys,

I have 1300 litre freshwater tanks on our boat, which I keep topped up. In summer they are regularly used and winter less so (unsurprisingly).

Is it a good idea to put any water purification type additive into the tanks to keep them fresh and, if so, what do people use?

Thanks,

Hamish.

I put new food grade plastic tanks in 12 years ago, (500 litres, and 100L reserve tank up front), and they sit at varying levels all the time, just topping up when required. You have a larger volume, but I doubt that makes a lot of difference as long as you let then get fairly low before topping up. I have never put any additive in, and the water is still absolutely fine. No additive is going to freshen tanks, by definition it is going to add a chemical, and therefore chemical taste, or if not, it is in such a low concentration it would make no difference anyway. We do however boil any water we drink, as a simple precaution. Rather that than a chemical in there in my view. I have a medical/scientific background, if that helps..?

For the winter most folks will empty the tank to keep it and the lines from freezing.

In a modest climate chlorox works well, pump till its in all the delivery piping.

A simple flush will clear it , and baking soda can be put in the first fill if there is some residual taste.

Better than baking soda is to add vinegar to the water after draining the Clorox solution... Peggie Hall's (HeadMistress here in this forum) book has a paragraph or two on this subject and in my opinion made the purchase of the book worth every penny by itself! I never had such good tasting water before following her advice on the subject.
Bruce

Better than baking soda is to add vinegar to the water after draining the Clorox solution... Peggie Hall's (HeadMistress here in this forum) book has a paragraph or two on this subject and in my opinion made the purchase of the book worth every penny by itself! I never had such good tasting water before following her advice on the subject.
Bruce

:thumb:her book is worth every penny!

John

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Will clean the tanks out this winter as suggested. H.

Back
Top Bottom