Quality Rain Gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Any recommendations on good quality rain gear? Since the canvas surround gig went to crud, we figure that good rain gear might be a wise thing this year.

Tom-

I thought you guys on "Skinny Dipping" were all drip dry!!!!

JohnP

Bang for the buck, Sailor of Fortune is on the money. Just look at what the commercial fishermen wear. I don't think that I've seen a fisherman up in BC or Alaska wearing Gortex at any time other then going to the bar. Hang the slickers up to dry and simply patch 'em up with Duct Tape.

Grundens.

*What the commercial guys wear up here in Alaska.

Kind of heavy but they will keep you dry.

It's what I use.

SD

I'd rather have good rather than best. Also, light and flexible. I'm not crabbing in 10-below temps. Think quality, but for a wussy.
biggrin.gif

Look at west marine.

*Gucchie stuff.

Sailor gear.**It just costs a fortune.

You get what you pay for.

Grundens will out last most.

SD*

We have Musto foul weather gear from our sailing days and lighter weight Henri Lloyd jackets for when it is raining but not THAT bad.

We use rain/water repellant spray on our regular hats/coats/pants. A true native PNW does not wear rain gear.* Besides rain gear is so darn ugly.**However, most native PNW are smart enough to not go out in the rain.* However, there are a few crazy sailors, but they usually smarten up and buy trawlers.*

Frog Togs at Academy, real light, comfortable, and very dry. $50 or less for jacket and pants.

Phil Fill wrote:

....**However, most native PNW are smart enough to not go out in the rain.* However, there are a few crazy sailors, but they usually smarten up and buy trawlers.*
LOL.* So you never go out?* I thought it did nothing but rain up there?
confuse.gif

Grunden for me. Just bought some more. *

You might check out Cabela's EXV gear.* We like the Gore Tex for breathability and comfort, and we wear them in any amount of rain and wind.* If it's unusually cold we wear a fleece vest underneath, and they stop the wind so well that we stay toasty in a cold windy rainstorm.* We never need a warmer setup in summer in SE Alaska.

To be more Alaskan we do wear Xtra-Tuf's with them.*

Parka or pants for as little as $80, depending on what sale they're running.* Ours are plenty tough for most fishing and much boat work, and more than adequate for walking or dinghy rides in the rain.* My earlier set of similar Cabela's Gore-Tex rain gear lasted 12+ years, using it in the winter quite a bit as well.

-- Edited by RCook on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 06:21:13 PM

My Idea of a great *rain suite is, a bathing suite.
I was on my first ocean crossing. it was on a sailboat. it was very rough ,so I had to crawl up the the fore deck on my hands and knees *, but i got there. on the wire.

There were several occasions that i had to go up to the fore deck to reduce sail for the night run.

When i returned i discovered that all my clothes were soaking wet, yet i had not taken a wave in the face.

I thought that my rain suit was faulty, * then penny dropped i was soaking wet from perspiration.

I then decided that in future i would only wear a bathing suite under my foul weather gear , or go in my Birth Day suit. The gear *also protects you from being banged up.

What does a rain suit do *? Well ! keep your clothes dry, May Be *!

My clothes never have since *been wet ever again ,, Now we are into the trawler thing we keep a red and white umbrella aboard for *Miss Mavis and a few bathing suits.

Donald & Mavis.

SOMERS wrote:

My clothes never have since *been wet ever again ,, Now we are into the trawler thing we keep a red and white umbrella aboard for *Miss Mavis and a few bathing suits.

Donald & Mavis.

Trawlers are great!-My Helly-Hansons from my sailing days are hanging in my garage.

JohnP* and** Miss Miri

Oh *! I for got to tell you, that Victoria sells all in one *pink rain suits *for ladies.

Mavis I am not signing this, it's a secret.

Gill. Best raingear I've ever owned. Comfortable, works well, and have styles for any type of cruising you do.
OTOH, a swimsuit and dry towel afterwards works pretty well in warm weather!

Gill or Helly Hansen is good.
West Marine stuff is ok if you rarely wear it.. mine last 2 seasons and now leaks all over (and I got the $200 jacket.. not the cheap one).

Musto. They make good boots too. If your going to get wet no matter what then Filson wool sweaters are a must. If your going to spend any time in a storm your going to get wet eventually no matter what you wear.

And get good sea boots, too. But not so tight that you can't kick them off if you go over board.

For a light boot you can't beat Extra-Tuf's but I have a heavier boot that is really good * .... Northerner.*For rain gear Grunden's. Just ordered a new set in the new Salmon color.

That's why we have motor boats.
If it rains , stay inside with a brew or a warm cuppa.
Don't go out until the rain stops.
If it is warm go out in your bathers as long as you don't scare the kiddies.

Benn

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Phil Fill wrote:

....**However, most native PNW are smart enough to not go out in the rain.* However, there are a few crazy sailors, but they usually smarten up and buy trawlers.*
LOL.* So you never go out?* I thought it did nothing but rain up there?
confuse.gif

That is the reason we very seldom leave the dock.**We see no reason to take the boat, tie to another dock and then*sit.* May as well stay tied to our dock and save the cost of fuel and docking fee.**Bersides we live on it 24/7.*

Our Trawler*come form California and was NOT*PNW rain proof.**The first winter we had to wear rain gear inside the boat.* My advise is to buy a boat in the dead of winter, not in the middle of summer.*

Victoria Secret, you say.* Pink.* Hmmm!* Well at least it would not be so ugly. (-;

They are.**Especially during break up.

We don't have a spring thaw. The season's come on real fast up here.

Last year*I thing fall was on a thursday.

SD

Back
Top Bottom