Ford Lehman 120 coolant leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle911

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maurader
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Trawler
Hey guys,

I have researched and researched. My Ford Lehman 120 is leaking coolant out the exhaust. Meaning the coolant splashes out the exhaust with the raw water. I checked the levels and the coolant was empty. No coolant in the bilge and no leaks while running.

Any ideas???

The main heat exchanger - coolant and sea water share this - sea water goes from the pump, to this heat exchanger (to cool the engine coolant) then to the engine oil and tranny coolers then is injected out the exhaust. You will need to remove it and have it pressure tested. Fingers crossed that this is it - otherwise the other options - cracked head or blown head gasket are more painful (financially at least).

Good luck

This happened to me.

Most likely leaking at the joint between the exhaust manifold and exhaust elbow, usually right at the bottom where they join. Could be as easy as a new gasket but more often than not it is the elbow as there is just a little spot that the raw water puddles. Only way to check is to pull it apart. Elbows and gaskets are available at American Diesel.

Bob

Would there not be coolant with the raw water though?

Would the oil be pushed out with the raw water as well? The oil levels have not moved.

In talking to Brian at ADC, he says that if the heat exchanger is leaking, the seawater will go into the fresh water system. Just the opposite of what I thought would happen but the seawater is under higher pressure.

Back
Top Bottom