Name this bulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon J

Guru
Vessel Name
Didi Mau
Vessel Make
Currently looking for next boat
I need to replace a bulb in one of the boat's closets and ran into this number. I have never seen a bulb like this. Can someone tell me what it is called and likely wattage? And, maybe even an on-line source?

thanks
Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 108
Is it 12v or 120V?

Good questions. I believe it to be 12 volt. I don't have a circuit breaker labeled closet lights, and think they are controlled by DC circuit controlling room lights.

Gordon

Looks similar to some auto dome lights.

Looks like a Xenon 12v rigid bulb.

Last edited:
That or some type of halogen although halogen is hotter. Did the entire bulb come out or is there possibly still some of it in the holder on the ends?

I believe it's likely 12V, and likely activated by a door switch inside a locker. Burns hotter than Hades, so likely at least halogen and maybe whatever burns hotter than that.

I took one like that out of one of our hanging lockers when the switch wasn't working properly... put the bulb in a safe place... and then replaced the switch...

And so we still don't have an automatic light in that locker.

-Chris

Now's your chance to depart from the old style and install new LED lighting there. It'll save money and battery drain in the long run.

Sometimes the lamp fixture guts can be removed leaving the shell and wiring so a new LED array can be installed. I removed the fluorescent parts from their fixtures and added LED strip lights. What a difference in light cast and AH consumed! Over time, I've replaced all my boat's fixtures or bulbs to LED and my electron budget has vastly improved.

I believe it is called a rigid wire festoon. The one in your photo is an incandescent type. They now make them in LED in a variety of colors and hues.

Now's your chance to depart from the old style and install new LED lighting there. It'll save money and battery drain in the long run.

Sometimes the lamp fixture guts can be removed leaving the shell and wiring so a new LED array can be installed. I removed the fluorescent parts from their fixtures and added LED strip lights. What a difference in light cast and AH consumed! Over time, I've replaced all my boat's fixtures or bulbs to LED and my electron budget has vastly improved.

Amen! I have just about changed all of my fixtures to LED, I find it much better lighting and low Amp draw.

Moonstruck,

Thanks. This is exactly the right bulb. Help like this is what makes TF such a great resource.

Thanks again, Gordon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom