Any Navy Types Around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eagle419

A small group of us old farts were recently sipping a glass of red on my aft deck, offering various opinions on the small disk and cone shapes on the mast of a 60s vintage museum frigate berthed nearby.

My wild guess was whip antenna bases, but can any old navy types out there help so we can settle the (mild) argument?

Attachments

• DSC00933.jpg
    DSC00933.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00934.jpg
    DSC00934.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 114
May not be antennae bases as some point down?

Last edited:
How about early radio direction finding antennas? Or perhaps some sort of early signals intercept gear. Not familiar with the specifics of that installation though it's interesting there appear to be three on a plane and one above.

How about early radio direction finding antennas? Or perhaps some sort of early signals intercept gear. Not familiar with the specifics of that installation though it's interesting there appear to be three on a plane and one above.

Thanks MR,

Still no consensus here yet. My bet is still that an ''H'' shaped whip antennae array has been removed leaving these cone shaped 'bases' on the crosstrees, but who knows?

cheers,

Nope, I'm wrong.

I just found a (copyright) RAN image of the ship at sea, and those cones are there as is.

My little mystery remains.

Former USN, would guess ECM - electronic counter measures. Make a ship appear smaller or bigger on radar. Also closer or further away. Used to deflect homing missiles.
In the USN ECM could be used for making a small ship look bigger than a carrier. Good for the carrier but bad news for the destroyer.

Former USN, would guess ECM - electronic counter measures. Make a ship appear smaller or bigger on radar. Also closer or further away. Used to deflect homing missiles.
In the USN ECM could be used for making a small ship look bigger than a carrier. Good for the carrier but bad news for the destroyer.

Thanks Lepke!

I didn't win the bet, but I will get brownie points for passing on your info.

Cheers,

My guess would be UHF antennas. From globalsecurity.org:

Since VHF and UHF antennas are line-of-sight systems, they require a clear area at an optimum height on the ship structure or mast. Unfortunately, this area is also needed for various radars and UHF direction- finding and navigational aid systems.
VHF and UHF antennas are usually installed on stub masts above the foremast and below the UHF direction finder. UHF antennas are often located on the outboard ends of the yardarms and on other structures that offer a clear area.

Back
Top Bottom