Replacement Handle for Y-Valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WD40

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Otter
Vessel Make
1985 President Sundeck 41
According to our Surveyor, the Y-Valves needed some "exercising".
So I went about "exercising" them and you guessed it, I broke one of the handles.
Fortunately I was able pull one off another valve to get it to close properly again, and there was no damage to the valve itself.

What's the chances of obtaining a replacement handle?
I've been looking online and haven't found anything yet.
It's a Bosworth, but not sure of the model number.
I'm guessing they're the original 1985 parts.

Here's one of the good ones.
(And yes, I've been reading the hose clamp posts of recent) ;)

Attachments

• Y-Valve1.jpg
    Y-Valve1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 89
I went to their website, but that model doesn't seem to be available anymore, and I didn't see anything in the replacement parts section.
I suppose going into the "Contact Us" link would be a good idea.

If Bosworth doesn't have one.
Post a pic of the other side of the handle so we can see how it connects to the valve

Here's a pic.
Hopefully the tape isn't masking anything...pun intended.

Attachments

• Y-Valve-Handle1.jpg
    Y-Valve-Handle1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 78
You'll probably will have to remove the valve, to clean it up, so you won't break a new handle if you can find one. Maybe there's a better designed valve out there? HeadMistress?

You'll probably will have to remove the valve, to clean it up, so you won't break a new handle if you can find one. Maybe there's a better designed valve out there? HeadMistress?

Replace the whole valve. It's 35 years old, for Pete's sake, and it looks like you tried to "exercise" it without lubricating it first...how much better do you think the design need to be?

and it looks like you tried to "exercise" it without lubricating it first
I was told you can't lubricate the valve, as it's the portion that's sealed inside that sticks.
If I could get lube into it I'd think the nasty stuff inside could then get out.
Unless I'm missing something here. :confused:

For what it's worth, the other two valves freed up rather easily after a few turns back and forth.

Kudos to Bosworth's Customer Service

Well that was quick.
I already received a reply with a part number and price from Bosworth. :thumb:

Now, I am still curious as to HeadMistress's suggestion of lubricating the valve first.

Everything with moving parts requires lubrication. Although some things may be designed to be "permanently" lubricated, let's face it...after 35 years your joints are a bit stiff too. And when you start to move something that has gotten stiff with age, a THINKING person will look at it with an eye toward, "ok, how can I get some lubrication into this thing?"

You have to be creative enough to think outside the box sometimes. So first I'd remove the handle to see where where to apply some grease...then, the right place to use a very small drill bit to create a hole into which I could squirt a little silicon grease (which, btw, is the RIGHT grease)... After that, if I were dealing with a 35 yr old piece of sch.80 PVC, I'd prob'ly replace the valve.

Bosworth valves aren't terribly expensive if you have to replace it but I think they still make your valve and handles can be ordered on their website. They offer both straight and Y shaped handles.
Bosworth Company - Accessories

Back
Top Bottom