Serious oil spill got to our marina in Beaufort, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Beaufort Memorial Hospital says oil found in river contained | The Island Packet

The above article is a bit lame in that it doesn't show the numerous photos of pitch black gooey sticky oil on the boat hulls...very difficult to remove...standard boat soap does nothing....needs a solvent like diesel oil and lots of elbow grease to remove.

Hospital denying it could be their oil that caused this but I plucked some blackened water grass from behind the hospital today and it feels very similar to me. Anyone know of a way to send off a few blades of grass with oil on them in one jar and oil soaked reeds in another jar to have someone tell if it is the same oil..or not ? (quickly and without it costing a fortune)

Last edited:
Beaufort Memorial Hospital says oil found in river contained | The Island Packet

The above article is a bit lame in that it doesn't show the numerous photos of pitch black gooey sticky oil on the boat hulls...very difficult to remove...standard boat soap does nothing....needs a solvent like diesel oil and lots of elbow grease to remove.

Hospital denying it could be their oil that caused this but I plucked some blackened water grass from behind the hospital today and it feels very similar to me. Anyone know of a way to send off a few blades of grass with oil on them in one jar and oil soaked reeds in another jar to have someone tell if it is the same oil..or not ? (quickly and without it costing a fortune)

The USCG and the EPA know how. Hopefully someone has gotten them on site by now.

The USCG and the EPA know how. Hopefully someone has gotten them on site by now.
They have been supposedly working on it but just to satisfy my own curiosity I wanted to do an independent study if not too expensive.

They have been supposedly working on it but just to satisfy my own curiosity I wanted to do an independent study if not too expensive.

I'd leave that to your insurer and the agencies.

However, if you insist, I'd probably start with a call to Blackstone or Polaris. You can purchase the book "Oil Spill Environmental Forensics" for $128 or rent it for $81.

I use a laboratory in Seattle in the course of my work in the environmental field. Sometimes it's necessary to determine if two or more sources of contamination are from the same or different locations. We send our samples to Friedman & Bruya. Most of the time they can help us unravel the puzzle. I don't have a dog in the fight! Perhaps they can help you find a laboratory in your area. Not too expensive.

Let's see. Your choices include gas chromatography (GC), gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS), high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), size-exclusion HPLC, infrared spectroscopy (IR), supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC), thin layer chromatography (TLC), ultraviolet (UV) and fluorescence spectroscopy, isotope ratio mass spectrometry, and gravimetry. Quickly and without it costing a fortune? Nah. And, you need to know how to take the sample and preserve the analyte.

The regulators and insurors will be on this like gravy on rice. Suggest you report the incident to your insuror and let them do the lifting.

Back
Top Bottom