View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #85
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Is there anyone out there with blue water experiance that hasne been caught by a storm with there pants down?
Yes.

We know we will one day, but we're over 60,000 nm, much of it offshore, and we've never been caught like that. However, we follow weather closely, we always have a planned escape path if conditions appear to be changing rapidly. There are those occasional rogue situations but for 99% plus of situations, you shouldn't get caught unless crossing a very large body of water. Has it turned out to be 6-8' instead of 3-4'? Yes, but I'd never go far out in 3-4' if I couldn't handle 6-8'.

I'm not saying to not be prepared. What I am saying is that you seem to be very focused on huge storms and it sounds like you're bent on taking risks that you don't need to take. How far offshore do you fish?

When you're crossing the Atlantic or Pacific with 8 to 14 day trips then storms can develop while you're out. That exceeds the safety factors of weather forecasting. Still most who get caught even then, should have had clues to prevent them from making the attempt. Often they should have waited or taken a different route.

In all likelihood if you get caught in a hurricane or typhoon or Force 10 conditions, you made a huge mistake to put you in that position. I'd really focus on learning more about weather, weather at sea, weather tracking resources, and preventive measures. If the forecast is at your upper limits then don't go. Don't leave no room for error. If the seas are 6-8', then don't go if you are worried about handling 10' seas or even 12'. Now, it's fine if you feel safe in greater just don't find it pleasant, but don't ever go up to your maximum safety level.

Boating should be pleasant. It's not us against nature, at least not those here on this site. Some sailors see it that way, a challenge, survival of the fittest. They want to show what they can handle and put themselves in danger. There are yacht owners who get upset when their captain says no and the worse mistake a captain can make is to give in to the owner's anger at that point. Those here, myself included, would rather stay anchored or at the marina than put ourselves through a miserable trip. I know what each boat I've been on can handle and have confidence in my ability, but I sure don't want to experience it or to test myself in that regard.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote