Herreshoff interior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
Because nobody has thrown me out of here yet...I will post another question.
Of all the boat interiors I have seen my favorite is the classic Herrshoff.
We had an Able Whistler 32 that had white bulkheads trimmed in mahogany and the effect was amazing!
We have asked American Tug if they would entertain the idea of building the interior this way and they say they would...
Now, the big question is would it look good in this boat?
Any thoughts?
Bruce
p.s. The picture is one of our own Able...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 130
Many vessels have or imitate the classic look...

I am working backwards to an easy to maintain and brighter than all teak dismal look. Then again most of my teak veneer is failing so the work was necessary...but better brighter and easier to maintain than all teak.

I have (mostly) a Herreshoff interior in my Nordic Tug 26. It was a custom finished (by Phil Pidcock) boat in 1981. I too think it is a classic look.

Attachments

• foscle2.jpg
    foscle2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 1672903_2.jpg
    1672903_2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 142
Nice.....have always like the white with wood trim...

Of course Baker would post the classic look with 6 young bikini clad females on the foredeck....

Ooops...maybe his classic look is only 4....hmmmmmm......:D

Nice.....have always like the white with wood trim...

Of course Baker would post the classic look with 6 young bikini clad females on the foredeck....

Ooops...maybe his classic look is only 4....hmmmmmm......:D

Who what where???

Because nobody has thrown me out of here yet...I will post another question.
Of all the boat interiors I have seen my favorite is the classic Herrshoff.
We had an Able Whistler 32 that had white bulkheads trimmed in mahogany and the effect was amazing!
We have asked American Tug if they would entertain the idea of building the interior this way and they say they would...
Now, the big question is would it look good in this boat?
Any thoughts?
Bruce
p.s. The picture is one of our own Able...

Wifey B: As self appointed family aesthetician, the white probably wouldn't be my first choice but definitely something contrasting to lighten and brighten. For my tastes, many boats in that size range have nice, rich woods, but just too dark. I think that's a spouses get together and brainstorm and think of what their favorites in other boats, in houses, and anywhere else are.

Your able is really nice inside. Ok, I'm a kid, but going to say it. "Classic" sometimes is another word for "old" in my mind. If it's comfortable to you that's all that matters. Sometimes though mix a little of the old with a little of the new and the results will pleasantly surprise you. Also, it's a new boat. Do you want it just like the old one?

What are your and your wife's favorite colors? Is AT able to take colors and woods and floor coverings and countertops from you and then give you a virtual rendering?

Wifey B: As self appointed family aesthetician, the white probably wouldn't be my first choice but definitely something contrasting to lighten and brighten. For my tastes, many boats in that size range have nice, rich woods, but just too dark. I think that's a spouses get together and brainstorm and think of what their favorites in other boats, in houses, and anywhere else are.

Your able is really nice inside. Ok, I'm a kid, but going to say it. "Classic" sometimes is another word for "old" in my mind. If it's comfortable to you that's all that matters. Sometimes though mix a little of the old with a little of the new and the results will pleasantly surprise you. Also, it's a new boat. Do you want it just like the old one?

What are your and your wife's favorite colors? Is AT able to take colors and woods and floor coverings and countertops from you and then give you a virtual rendering?

Just to set the record straight we "go both ways..."
This is the interior of our Airstream Bambi which we love too! Of course we had zero say in the choices here other than that we did in fact buy it off of the dealers lot!
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 133
We like the classic look also . When we rebuilt our interior we kinda went that way . I think it would look great on the new tug . I used African mahogany because that's what we stock at the lumber yard. The grain is not as consistent as genuine mahogany . If they could use genuine that would be nice .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 127
How do you define Herrshoff interior? Lot's of interior woodwork?

Classic often means enduring....so..... many generations can often appreciate the nature of the aesthetics of light enhancing surfaces (boats before big windows) and easy to keep clean and free of mildew.

Simple, form following function allows this type of interior to endure since the beginnings of recreational boats (close cousins to commercial bretheren in the day).

Larger boats have greater flexibility in that like homes, larger spaces, distance from wet intrusions, better climate control, etc...etc.....all allow for more creative interiors.

Sure you can go exotic in smaller boats....and sometimes it works....but I have seen plenty that dont.

How do you define Herrshoff interior? Lot's of interior woodwork?...

Interesting question... I'll take a stab at an answer.
I'd say that a traditional Herreshoff interior was painted raised panel bulkheads trimmed in bright finished mahogany. It has the impact of opening up a boats interior. There is still plenty of non painted mahogany to balance the look of course.
There, that's my attempt!
Bruce

A Herreshoff interior is white surfaces for bulkheads and ceilings, and stained or varnished wood for all of the millwork.

When we first started looking at boats I would shy away from the ones with all the dark wood interiors. I felt like it was going to be too dark and also some were just old looking...not classic, just old.
Then we saw our boat and we both absolutely fell in love with all the wood on the interior. To us, it looks very classic but not old. The quartz countertops and slipcovered couch give it a bit of a modern touch. The other thing we liked was that it did not have a dinette. It has an antique table and 4 chairs which adds to the classic look.
I think the only thing I don't like about our interior is the tacky carpet down below on the walls and ceilings in our room. That's gonna have to go at some point.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 139
The H interiors were famous not for the look, but for the function.

Owning a boat yard he saw the results of a poor interior design. A ROTTEN boat!

His interiors always included venting . In the overhead , up the ceiling and in the bilges.

Weather it was paint and varnished trim (the tradition)

or later a dark forest of varnished wood his interiors kept the boat fresh and smelling sweet , and lasting for decades.

Just to set the record straight we "go both ways..."
This is the interior of our Airstream Bambi which we love too! Of course we had zero say in the choices here other than that we did in fact buy it off of the dealers lot!
Bruce

The white and teak trim is a classic. Good luck with your new boat. My friend owns an American Tug and it is a beautiful boat.

Island Run
R I

The shade of white I like is called Antique USA, sounds classic already.
White interiors in the Herreschoff tradition are very easy to live with.
Just wish mine was more like them.Our boat is very dark down below.
Trying to figure out how to add some white panels to lighten it up,no luck so far.

Attachments

• Master cabin.jpg
    Master cabin.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 117
Hull side "ceiling" were strips set off the wood hull sides to allow air circulation to the interior of a wood hull. Enclosed sides would have promoted rot.

As usual with the Herreshoffs form followed function and they made function look good.

Interlux has a paint color called Grand Banks Beige. I think it looks smashing with dark wood moldings and doors. I do like the off white color, but the beige is a much softer look.

I am fond of cherry for interior trim. Even after it darkens it is lighter than mahogany and the grain is more interesting. A few years ago I was on a Morris that had a Herreshoff interior with apple trim. It was beautiful.

Here are some pictures of cabins in a 90 foot Trumpy built in 1939. The first and only time I have sold a boat older than me.

Attachments

• Innisfail guest 2.jpg
    Innisfail guest 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Innisfail guest 1.jpg
    Innisfail guest 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 61
When talking Herreshoff you need to sort out which Herreshoff you mean. The grandfather, father, son, brother, or grandson? All had strong ideas about how things should be done. The Herreshoff Manufacturing Company had a standard interior style but it was often varied at the request of owners. At a time when most yacht interiors from the US or Northern Europe were of the "teak cave" variety, a Herreshoff interior was predominantly light painted surfaces. Below is Albacore, built in 1929 to the design of L. Francis Herreshoff. There are no large flat unbroken surfaces because there was no plywood, everything is stick built.

Albacore1.JPG

Albacore2.JPG

Albacore3.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom