Installing 120 Ford Lehman in 79 mainship 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJimHonda

I´m in the planning stage of installing a 120 ford lehman (in a mainship 1) that came from a 36 Grand banks. The old perkins trans coupling was at a 4 deg angle related to the motor mount supports being at 0 deg. The transmission mounts are in in the same locations on the borg warner from Grand banks BW trans but it is 1" shorter. I have a spare bw trans and oil pan that I´m using for dry fitting. My problem is the oil pan drain plug on the starboard side is so close to the hull that it will be impossible to drain oil. the oil dipstick tube is about 2/3 to front of motor which draining with a pump in tube will leave several quarts of oil and sludge in the rear of pan. I read on the site that lehman can be installed up to 15 deg. I feel if I can raise the angle to about 10 deg I can possibly put the fitting and hose (from ADC) in the drain and be able to drain all the oil. I have 2 other concerns. Changing the angle to 10 degree when under power if the bow rise will throw the angle beyond the 15 degree and changing the angle this much is going to change the angle of my prop to push the bow down when powered up. I will have to make a shim to change the angle of my stern bearing housing. Will using a epoxy mixture to build the shim be exceptable? I have seen at least 2 other mainship advertised over the years that have the 120 ford lehmans in them. If anyone has any experience or know someone that has made this conversion any help would be appreciated.

My email is jammwill@southernco.com thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Have you considered putting a second drain port in the oil pan? If it were me, I would consider pulling the oil pan and having a 1/2" fpt fitting added, maybe to the bottom of the sump. Might be worth talking to Bob Smith at American Diesel about it.

Ted

Last edited:
Believe me with a 120 Lehman, the bow ain't gunna rise.

There is not enough room under the Lehman in my 34' Marine Trader to use the drain. Use the dip stick hole to put a thin pipe to the bottom of the oil pan. With a little wiggling you can get it to the back of the oil pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom