View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Martin J
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Done a couple of rigs over the last decade or so. There are many factors that require attention and the most important is storage, Without decent storage capacity energy production is does not mean a lot. Work out your requirement, add 20%. Check the boat for storage areas that are cool, well ventilated. Keep cable sizes high, cable runs short. Wire panels to provide high DC voltage. Mavericks will handle up to 600V DC if I remember. As a rough Guide 1kw of panels works well with 1000amps of storage (Say 10 T105+'s).Check your local WX station sunshine history / or where you'll be cruising etc. Have a realistic feel for what you can produce. make sure you go with a reputable MPPT controller. Maverick are excellent, easy to use. Most of all make sure the batteries are connected correctly with the Pos and Neg as far apart as possible in the bank (opposite ends) otherwise the bateries closeest to the final anodes will discharge deeper than the furthest from inverter. Fortunately lots have advancements have been made over the last decade, incredibly better controllers, more efficient panels that will even give out voltage in moonlight and streetlights etc.
The only reason I start the genny on my boat is to use 220vac. (Galley top / Aircon)

My bank is on Float or absorb by afternoon, and charging starts 30 mins after dawn. I don't need sun (40-60amp Great charging) just a bright day (20-30amp Fair charging)

Hopefully this brief bit of info is of use to you. If you wish to chat about your project P.M. me and I'll give you a Skype/ring. I'm currently cruising in the eastern caribbean

Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote