View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #44
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
These boats are for people who want to believe, but never took physics. It's too much of a side track for this thread, so if you want to discuss, just start a new thread.
Electric is great if you want to go 20 nm. Of course if you want to go 20 nm or less then what does it really matter what your fuel usage is? Show me an actual 1000 nm trip taken on 100 gallons and then I'll believe those numbers of 10 nmpg. Until then the best I'll buy on Greenline is 6 or 7 nmpg, perhaps 8 and others have achieved that.

Then try going south in the gulf stream on electric. Or anywhere against a strong current when your 4 knots becomes 2 knots or 0 knots.

Greenline apparently does have some owners in Europe. If they're happy, that's fine. However, I have a feeling their happiness comes more from doing something unique than any savings. We're seeing progress on electric cars and perhaps one day we'll see it on electric boats. Until then the market of all electric will be owned by Duffy. Great if you just want to cruise the Fort Lauderdale canals for two or three hours in silence.

When we see technology advance to give autos a range of 1000 miles on one charge, then we'll have the technology for a true electric cruiser.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote