In Search Of Nordhavn #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone translate the name of the boat - La Tempestad?

La Tormenta, por supuesto, pero creo que ey una definicion especial para ti. Es un nombre hermoso para un bote.

... This brings up something that I plan to expand on later and has to do with the benefits of working with the original boat manufacture when looking for a used boat. The OEM can offer things that brokers just can not obtain. An example is our boat, as luck would have it Jeff sold this exact boat to the original owner and was able to provide all the original documentation, spec's including all options when it was originally ordered.
We too dealt with the same sales team that had originally sold and outfitted our boat. The previous owners had retained all of the original drawings and paperwork provided to them, but the sales team was able to obtain from the manufacturer all of the system schematics in electronic form which will a) survive better; and b) are easier for me to pass on to the next owner; and c) a great resource as I work on the boat.

Dave

N3 Update 11/11/13

Despite being a national holiday most players involved with our transaction were working today which helped save precious time. As luck would have it all those signatures over the weekend were bound to need correction. One page required three signatures and we only signed twice. The lender emailed a clean page which I printed at work, drove home and Mary sign before running down to the Fed-Ex store for shipment. The insurance binder required a small correction - done. Jeff discovered a California State property tax issue which will cost me another $1K. Found an issue with an address on the boats documentation paperwork which requires correction. LLC is ready. I hope this covers all the changes. Still have our fingers crossed we close Thursday and get the keys Friday.

Advice to anyone planning a used boat purchase - take the last week off of work to address all the last minute issues.

Jeff discovered a California State property tax issue which will cost me another $1K.

Last year we did the same CA tax for both the seller and buyer to avoid the wrath of Brown vs the "wealthy" yachties. We worked with much the same groups most likely you are using, it was crazy to say the least with the boat in trade and being purchased being chased by the hungry CA tax authorities. They are merciless. Thank God the deal fell through - if it hadn't I'm sure they'd still be after us as we are registered offshore.

N3 Update 11/12/13

Another day of wire transfers, faxes and signatures. So many signatures for a used boat deal. I guess this is another take away comparing new versus used boat transactions, used boats take more work, much more work. I'm told we are done with everything on our end and assuming everything else falls in line we should close by COB Thursday.

I also spoke with the mechanic who we plan to have address some of the more urgent items from the inspection and plan to meet with him early next week. I'm also researching which Satcom system to install for TV and internet reception.

That's about it for today.

For those who may be wondering the name of boat La Tempestad it is Spanish for "The Storm". Something different this time around,

It has been interesting reading about the transfer of this boat.

On my latest boat we made the offer, did sea trial, survey, got insurance, paid for it, registered it and had the entire thing done in one week..

Different strokes for different folks.

HOLLYWOOD

It has been interesting reading about the transfer of this boat.

On my latest boat we made the offer, did sea trial, survey, got insurance, paid for it, registered it and had the entire thing done in one week..

Different strokes for different folks.

HOLLYWOOD

I too am amazed at the paperwork involved.

My last purchase from a private seller, (albeit at a small percentage of the cost of a Nordhavn) took 8 hours for the sea trial/survey, 10 minutes of negotiating and then one signature on a hand written Bill of Sale with a small cash deposit. Next day wired the rest of the funds, arranged insurance online, and one more signature to register it. Done!

N3 Update - 11/13/13

Well today was less hectic then yesterday with only one document to sign and fax. Just received confirmation from Jeff that everything is in place for the banks to work their magic tomorrow allowing us to pick up the boat Friday at 0900hrs. Fingers crossed.

Spoke with Alcom Marine today who outfitted our tow N40's and discussed a few items we will want to add to this boat. The big hitter will be Satcom ($5K) so Mary can watch TV when we are out cruising or spending the night at Catalina Island. There is something special about being on the hook and watching the Super Bowl of World Series. Looking forward to these days.

The waiting game is the worst part! We are on hold until the 25th. Very envious of your Satcom, well and the Nordy too!

There is something special about being on the hook and watching the Super Bowl of World Series. Looking forward to these days.
There sure is! I often tell my wife that I'm going to the boat to do a couple of small projects. This is normally on Sunday morning when both Fox & CBS are broadcasting the NFL games. :D

New Interior

Attached are a few pictures of the new salon leather seating and window shades. Almost complete with the interior upgrades.

John

Attached are a few pictures of the new salon leather seating and window shades. Almost complete with the interior upgrades.

John

I see no pictures…is it just me or have they fallen off..?

N3 Window Shads

I accidently did not upload the pictures of the new shades (and leather seating) with my last post. I think I did it correctly this time if we click on the attachment (paperclip) link above. We went with an Oyster White on both to provide a light clean look like we had on our first N40. The lighter colors also go great with the teak wood and make the room feel larger. We used the same color on all the shades throughout the boat. Looking forward to waking up aboard and walking upstairs to the salon for a cup of coffee and NOT being blinded by the sun.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad

N35 Window Shade 1.jpg

N35 Window Shade 2.jpg

Man, that's really nice, but you must have more confidence than I do to keep 'em clean and salt free.

N3 Checking on the boat

Yesterday was a day to leave work a little early during lunch time and drive 15 miles to the boat for a quick check. While others may feel comfortable leaving their boats for extended periods I sleep better knowing I checked on the boat every few days. This trip also included my first look at the new window shades (look great) and see the carpet left by the installer for the engine room. When we purchased N3522 the owner had custom fit carpet between the stringers on the starboard side of the engine room. A very nice touch. After nine years it was time to replace them so I had our interior guy make us new pieces. Light gray and white will look great.

I also had the mechanic down late last week to fix the tach. that stopped working and repair a leaking valve in the engine room. At this point I believe we have all the major items on our list complete and ready to start using the boat. So far so good. :)

This trip also included my first look at the new window shades (look great) and see the carpet left by the installer for the engine room. When we purchased N3522 the owner had custom fit carpet between the stringers on the starboard side of the engine room. A very nice touch. After nine years it was time to replace them so I had our interior guy make us new pieces. Light gray and white will look great.

CARPET IN THE ENGINE ROOM..?!!! OMG….I feel sooo inferior…I need a drink...

Carpet in Engine Room

Peter, I will admit that I would never had thought about such an idea since our previous boats had beautiful clean engine room floors with molded in areas to step and work. This boat only offer transvers stringers on top on the hull creating little box areas. The carpet adds a non slip surface and a nice touch. The light gray and white color brightens things up. If you want to see a picture let mw know.

John T

Greetings,
Names? How about Oui 3 (Yes 3). A window in the ER door is on the to-do list. Saves having the Admiral walk into a potential conflagration. Yes, she's the one doing the hourly checks. Bought her her own IR gun and the rest is history. At some point, cameras as well.

Amazziiing, most women think God put man here to wait on them and to do as she commands and your telling us you have a system like apis melifera< honey bees>. In a bee world if the word worker is used it refers to females exclusively the guy's have no chores work nothing except relax and go to a drone yard. A drone yard is where a guy goes to talk to the boys and wait for girls in need of their services. Kinda like a brew pup. Then after a hard day at the drone yard they return to the hive to be waited on by the worker bees which are also maids construction workers doctors nurses etc. and all female.
I think you should start teaching classes so the rest of us can learn how to get human females to act like bees so we can enjoy the life we were meant to live.
As for the door issue all boats are a compromise as none is perfect except ones built by her.

I don't won't to hear:oldman: the labor pains , I just want to see the baby , Please

Thanks John. Can you expand a bit on why you chose to go with an Llc? And did your banker and insurer accept this?
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Peter I think we stumbled into the yachty side of TF. If this is Nordhavn #3 I wonder what's in the engine room on newish boats.

Last edited:
If this is Nordhavn #3 I wonder what's in the engine room on newish boats.

Eric I believe you misunderstand. This thread is not about the third boat built by Nordhavn, it is the third Nordhavn this OP has owned and the first one he purchased used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom