Favorite dock line throwing technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What, you're not suppose to throw them both ends? :facepalm:

29 replies. Most of them berating th OP as an idiot for even asking the question. A few actually answered the question.

I don't have any good techniques that have been taught and practiced. I normally toss a coil in a way that I hope will uncoil in flight. I wouldn't mind reading some techniques and will read the links already given.

What, you're not suppose to throw them both ends? :facepalm:
^^^OK...That's funny!
Thanks for lightening up the matter at hand.
I wouldn't mind reading some techniques and will read the links already given.
That YouTube video in post #27 is pretty good.

Last edited:
One tip I might pass along. When the situation is critical (high winds) and it is necessary to make sure Bay Pelican does not get blown into the boat sharing the slip, we substitute a 3/8" line for our normal dock lines and thus Deb can toss it easily from a distance. The 3/8" line is attached to a normal dock line which can then be pulled ashore.

I tried to figure out how much sideslip we experience in docking and can't but it is a real issue with the windage we have.

When I worked on tugs we took great pride in our ability to nail a cleat or a bit on the dock well before the boat got near it. Often it was simply required, certainly we did encourage and train deckhands to properly throw a line, sometimes pretty big ones. Our deck lines were often 2 inch diameter lines, of course our barge lines were much larger and you don't throw them very far, that's what a heaving line is for. I remember me and another deckape having throwing contests on the back deck on the way to AK., great fun! Our method is simple just grab as many coils of the line depending on size and weight, in the throwing hand, while leaving a fewer amount in the off hand to un coil as it goes out. Remember that the eye on these lines will be anywhere from 4-5 long and that would be thrown as part of the coil. We got pretty good at it.

shorty0006.jpg
Shorty working a steam operated capstan on the side wheel steamboat President, New Orleans harbor around 1976. Note Heaving lines scattered around his feet. This is on the bow of the President

Attachments

• The_Marlinspike_Sailor_-_Hervey_Garrett_Smith_-_Google_Livres.jpg
    The_Marlinspike_Sailor_-_Hervey_Garrett_Smith_-_Google_Livres.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I've numerously observed cruise ships throw light lines to the dock crews, who then pull in the heavy docking lines to secure the ships. Presumably that works for freightors too.... I see nothing wrong in tossing lines, especially toward the first mate who has stepped off the boat and onto the dock. That's what we do. If single-handed, I hold a line when stepping on the dock and continue the process until all lines are secure.

While I have tied monkeys fists, I have never had a heaving line at the ready on any of my boats. Even though I am somewhat of a traditionalist, I doubt that I will ever have one.

Who needs a monkey fist if tossing a line less than eight feet away, only needed for an overly-large, double-sided berth?

We have a Monkey fist on one end of a life ring.

Its usually secured at the MF end so the ring can simply be thrown .

But should it ve needed , its there to use.

The ring is dropped to the deck and the bitter end with the MF is uncleated , done KISS!

T
here are not many regulations to be found on how to restrict weights of heaving lines, but at least the "Code for Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen" issued by the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency, is very clear on this subject. "Vessel’s heaving lines should be constructed with a monkey's fist at one end. To prevent personal injury, the fist should not contain any added weighting material." Obviously that’s not the way they do things in Panama.

Note that these guidelines are from the same people that dress their ball players in protective gear to look like hockey players while they swing a flat bat playing cricket.
As a safety precaution if you are on the receiving end of a heaving line a spike pole affords a greater and safer target range.

If you get a chance to tour a new CG boat, you will find "throw bags" set on all the rails. Faster to deploy when needed. Its a small nylon bag with about 70 ft of line stuffed in helter-skelter. Grab it, throw it, no fuss, fast and accurate.

If you get a chance to tour a new CG boat, you will find "throw bags" set on all the rails. Faster to deploy when needed. Its a small nylon bag with about 70 ft of line stuffed in helter-skelter. Grab it, throw it, no fuss, fast and accurate.

+ 1 for throw bags...we keep one available and have used it often...not for docking but for a swimmer drifting away or another boat in trouble etc. It's amazing hiw accurate you can throw them.

Also agree dock lines shouldbe handed w no need to throw. When approaching a transient dock I like to hand the stranger the eye end and have them drop it over the cleat...that lets the boat crew control tension per skippers instruction.

There's an art to docking your boat without any line throing technique. This video was made for AV-OG-TIL a Norwegian NGO, working to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol. The guy got skills ...

Locking Through On The Erie Canal
By Carol & John Lucas

After you enter the chamber, the boat needs to be centered to prevent it from running into the walls.

The driver stays onboard at the external steering station to engage the engine and/or haul on the deck lines.

The lock operator needs to stay on top of the lock wall to catch the dock lines thrown by the driver.

For-hire boats always have a necklace of fenders for protection, but the bow and stern are vulnerable.

When water rushes in or out of the chamber the boat can bob about and bump the gates or another boat (most locks can hold at least two boats).

Do not turn the engine off. You may need it to maneuver as the chamber fills.

Throw the deck lines to your operator.

Deck lines are set fore and aft on the land side of the boat, looped around the mooring bollards that are anchored on top of the canal wall.

Locking Through On The Erie Canal - BoatUS Magazine

Last edited:
Locking Through On The Erie Canal
By Carol & John Lucas

After you enter the chamber, the boat needs to be centered to prevent it from running into the walls.

The driver stays onboard at the external steering station to engage the engine and/or haul on the deck lines.

The lock operator needs to stay on top of the lock wall to catch the dock lines thrown by the driver.

For-hire boats always have a necklace of fenders for protection, but the bow and stern are vulnerable.

When water rushes in or out of the chamber the boat can bob about and bump the gates or another boat (most locks can hold at least two boats).

Do not turn the engine off. You may need it to maneuver as the chamber fills.

Throw the deck lines to your operator.

Deck lines are set fore and aft on the land side of the boat, looped around the mooring bollards that are anchored on top of the canal wall.

Locking Through On The Erie Canal - BoatUS Magazine

A little curious that the title does not match the article (wrong canal system) but go ahead, throw a line at a NY State Canal lockmaster, then come back and tell us the story .... should be good for a laugh :)

Surprised at the extent of the anti-throwing post. When single handing and without all the fancy bow/stern thrusters or twin screw, there are many occasions that line throwing to a soul on the dock serves to control conditions and potential damage from results of wind or unsuspected tidal action. Both of which we have all had moments to experience.
I have posted my solution to this line throwing issue which serves as my 'Thruster' on other forum subjects. Matter of fact, used this method and instrument today entering the Wrangell Harbor in a flood tide condition.

Folding Grappling Hook Ninja Climbing 33 ft Nylon Rope | eBay

I keep this on the fly bridge in a sizable bucket with drain holes near my steering station from which I toss the to the dock and pull back till the unit hooks the bull rail. I know, not all docks have bull rails, I am fortunate living where common sense solutions to marine floats/docks still exist.

Al-Ketchikan

Dear Wallace,

I just finished reading Al-Ketchikan comment and I admire his sense of humour and it made me laugh.

I do respect and admire your extensive experience as over 20 years liveaboard with over 22,000 hours in your log between lake Superior and the Caribbean to mention part of it.

Please Wallace, my point is not to offend you, as you already did the Erie Canal.

My point is that in Trawler Forum, there are people that like thinking things through in trying to find the real answer, not the first answer. Because it is refusing to jump to a conclusion.

Unfortunately, there are people that means avoiding thinking by jumping to conclusions. Jumping to a conclusion is like quitting a game : You lose by default.

Sometimes people react like they’ve stopped thinking. They say it to feel finished with that subject, because there’s nothing they can do about that.

It’s appealing and satisfying to jump to that conclusion and just laugh! It is in my view a different sense of humour.

So far Al-Ketchikan wins this one!

Kindest regards, respectfully

Normand

Last edited:
I have well over 20,000 hours in my log and have had two bad dockings. Both were caused by people on the docks grabbing lines and pulling when they had no idea what I intended to do or had any clue what they were doing. On another occasion a man on the dock reached for my bow line and was politely told "please don't touch the lines ..... three times. When he ignored me and extended himself over the water and grabbed the bow line, a little shot on the thruster put him in the drink. You can never be sure what the person on shore is going to do with your line ... he's not getting mine.

Dear Wallace,

I just finished reading Al-Ketchikan comment and I admire his sense of humour and it made me laugh.

It’s appealing and satisfying to jump to that conclusion and just laugh! It is in my view a different sense of humour.

So far Al-Ketchikan wins this one!

Kindest regards, respectfully

Normand

Normand, absolutely no offense taken. i don't mind a good argument and one must do as one judges best for any given situation. I, as everyone else in this thread am merely expressing how I do things and why. I don't expect anyone to do things my way.

Wallace, seriously I agree with you.

Here at the Marina on dock 4 we have a close knit community. When we dock in fair weather conditions, there are 2 to 5 persons that are on the finger ready to receive us. Some are retired and some are weekenders from all walks of life.

My wife (the admiral) is always at the helm because she likes docking and I am standing by with the docklines.

I do not need to toss them, just hand them by hand and tell them where to tie on the cleat. We are really spoiled at the same time most of the not perfect docking are done during these circumstances.

When we arrive during the week and no one is there to greet us, we make perfect docking... When the winds are too strong, we just wait and anchor in the bay in order to avoid bad docking.

Three years ago, a C&C sailboat was coming down to the fairway between dock 4 and dock 3, with his half furled genoa sheets twisted around his propeller during a squall and I yelled at him to change course and anchor in the bay.

He was in panic and kept coming in the fairway towards the row of power and sailboats. I ask the captain to trow me his starboard stern dock line and he did succeed at the first throw.

My neighbour was holding my belt from behind and I caught just enough line to make one turn and one half hitch on the cleat. The skipper grab a fender and just jump in front of us into the water we picked him up.

The sailboat stopped and was being pushed on the balcony (which was bent) of the first sailboat of dock 4. Then other came to help.His 14 year old daughter was in the cockpit, in shock in fetal position. His wife was drifting in the bay in the dinghy because she did not know how to start the outboard motor.

My opinion is to prepare to act or react to the best of our knowledge because its a tough environment out there.

Last edited:
Prefer an absence of dockside help.

I have learned that there is quite a different environment where Al-Ketchikan cruises.

Some skippers in the northwest, where bull rails are the rule, simply use a piece of bent rebar with an eye welded on. Then get a spring line on using a double clove hitch or rolling hitch which will hold you as well as a cleat.

InsidePassageNews.com

A little curious that the title does not match the article (wrong canal system) but go ahead, throw a line at a NY State Canal lockmaster, then come back and tell us the story .... should be good for a laugh :)

+1 Warning to anyone headed to NY canals...Monties description above doesnt resemble reality in NY

I merely quoted a BoatUS Magazine: Those Erie Canal Moments | October - November 2012.

As stated by two contributors, the description in the article may not resemble the reality in New-York State and I will find out during our trip this season.

At the same time, would it be fair and reasonable to state that I did not write the article and state the description in the article written by the authors Carol & John Lucas does not resemble reality in NY?

http://www.fairportoced.org/uploads/News/BoatUSMagazine_2012OctNov_ThoseErieCanalMoments.pdf

Last edited:
I merely quoted a BoatUS Magazine: Those Erie Canal Moments | October - November 2012.

As stated by two contributors, the description in the article may not resemble the reality in New-York State and I will find out during our trip this season.

At the same time, would it be fair and reasonable to state that I did not write the article and state the description in the article written by the authors Carol & John Lucas does not resemble reality in NY?

http://www.fairportoced.org/uploads/News/BoatUSMagazine_2012OctNov_ThoseErieCanalMoments.pdf

The NY State Canal System is much, much easier than depicted in that article. I guarantee your first time will not be your last. We will be in Oswego heading for the Hudson in the last week of August so Keep an eye out for "DIRT FREE". Have a Great time.

Back
Top Bottom