Toilet overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capttug

Vessel Name
Amore
Vessel Make
Mainship430
In my 2002 430 Trawler, the aft head overflows with fresh water when the fresh water pump is turned on. It has an electric flush system. Could this be a switch problem or a plumbing problem? I can still flush to empty the bowl, but can only stop the water in-flow by turning off the pump. Please help, I need a shower.

Greetings,
Mr. CT. "...when the fresh water pump is turned on..." Do you mean when a flush cycle is initiated? Does the flush cycle seem longer than normal? What type of toilet please? IF the bowl is not draining, I would suspect either a blockage of the lines or a damaged impeller. BOTH really fun things! I think Mr. frg is somewhat of an expert on these matters now...

200.gif

Do I understand that your toilet flushes with water from your pressurized fresh water system? If so, there is a solenoid valve stuck open some where. What kind of toilet is it?

Thanks for replying, the toilet flushes normally when you push the flush button. However, when I first turn on the Fresh Water Pump breaker switch in the salon, the bowl overflows with fresh water. If I turn off the switch I can empty the bowl with the flush button. It is a Jabsco system.

Does your system have a a dual switch system like this? If so, the bottom switch has a position that runs water into the bowl. Maybe it is stuck in the on position?

Attachments

• 37047.jpg.axd.jpg
    37047.jpg.axd.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 107
BlueYonder: Are those fallopian tubes?

Thanks again for all the help. I believe it is a stuck solenoid valve. I went to Jabsco site and learned how to clean or replace one.

Thanks again

Jabsco assured me they are not fallopian tubes.:lol:

I see I'm late to this party, but...

Is your "430 Trawler" a Mainship? If so, I'd suspect the head is a Jabsco electric? Maybe a Quiet Flush?

And you've described the symptoms of a bad solenoid. Easy fix, assuming you can access where it lives.

-Chris

I have a 2005 Mainship 430 Trawler with a leaky solenoid in the FWD Head. I'm not near the boat (which is where the manual is) but am wondering if these electric Jabsco heads are 12v or 24v.

JimL

I've chartered a few 430's and they were all 12 volt, but not anything later than a 2003 IIRC. Is anything else on the boat 24?

I'll clean the solenoid this weekend and determine the Volt. With a 10 Yr boat I should have a spare on board and also to know how to clean it.

BTW, I read this post a year ago when we were considering a MS. I remembered the issue and was able to benefit from you all. Thank you.

While you're fixing or replacing the solenoid valve, install a shut-off valve in the inlet line ahead of the solenoid. It will allow you to turn off the water to the toilet without having to turn off the water to the whole boat whenever you have to work on the toilet again.

I have a 2005 Mainship 430 Trawler with a leaky solenoid in the FWD Head. I'm not near the boat (which is where the manual is) but am wondering if these electric Jabsco heads are 12v or 24v.

Ours is 12V. And changing the solenoid was relatively easy.

FWIW, no matter how much I looked at them together, I couldn't tell any difference between old and new... except old had started leaking, and the new one fixed that.

-Chris

The head is like playing poker, you get a straight flush or a full house.

I worked as an engineer for 4 years at a place that designed and manufactured solenoids valves.
Any piece of debris that gets stuck on the plunger (sealing) face can cause a leak. If it stays there too long (ie over the winter) it will probably leave an impression in the rubber and never seal again.
The best bet is to use a sediment filter in your water system to help prevent this type of failure.

Since I have two heads, I ordered two solenoid assemblies. Replaced the FWD head unit and all works well. I'm ready for the aft when that needs attention.

When I took the old unit apart I could not find any issues....

JimL

My Jabsco head (on a 2005 Mainship 40) doesn't hold water anymore in the flush bowl. Is this a solenoid problem? Also, the gauge shows as full all the time now even immediately after pumping out. Are the indicators on the outside of the tank. Any ideas for a quick fix?

Katherine
Bacalao
Mainship 40

What's the model of your Jabsco toilet? If you don't know...does it use sea water or onboard pressurized fresh water? Is it an all china "throne" or does it have a bowl mounted on the "works?" I'm asking because only some models are designed to hold water in the bowl...if yours isn't one of them, it never should have!

Your tank gauge showing full all the time may mean that it IS full...that a blocked tank vent has prevented it from being pumped out. Are you seeing backflow when you flush?
What's the brand name of your indicator? Are you asking where the senders are, or telling us which kind it is?

Once I have enough information, I can help you solve the problem(s).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom