Tug ignores me; I blinked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding commercial traffic, when inshore often calling them on channel 13 will often elicit a response. Or 16. I believe the phrase is: "Using all available means to avoid collision."

There is an European thought that NOT using the radio and just using whistle signals is the more preferred way to go. BUT I believe using each and every means to avoid collision is best.

Mark: Were you still concerned after he pulled 'way' left? If so, why. Or why not?

Hawgwash: You are correct about wondering intentions. It seems as yachts turn 'seemingly' away or to follow the rules, they then dart back directly in front. One must always keep on top of the windows.

A tug hit (sunk) a fishing boat last week off Cape May The fishing boat was on autopilot, all three crew on back deck culling catch, and nobody looking where they were going... thunk., sunk., liferaft. all saved. It is suspected that the autopilot was linked to the plotter, as it did a rapid course change just before impact, while all 3 crew were still on back deck.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_bfe95984-0e3c-11e6-990d-f3a15162fbd5.html

I wonder if "mike" was driving the tug too. The CG usually figures both sides are at fault in percentages, unless its really obvious that one participant did it all.

Mark: Were you still concerned after he pulled 'way' left? If so, why. Or why not?

His turn to port was subsequent to my turn to starboard, but it was several minutes later that the tug's change in course would appear to cause a collision if our courses and speeds remained unchanged. If he had remained on his original course (parallel to shore), my initial turn to starboard would avoid any chance of collision.

I don't recall whether the current was ebbing or flowing. Regardless, the tug's course change was contrary to standard/good practice. Even though I was the stand-on vessel, I was required to make a significant counter maneuver to avoid collision.

In this instance you should have just gone stbd to stbd with the tug and left it alone. When you went to stbd and he went to port, you then went back to port as you should to avoid collision. From his perspective there was no need to go port to port and it sounds like there really wasn't. Its not always necessary to do so.

Had a tug pass on my port side about 20' away and pushing a helluva lot of water, he then mad a sharp turn across my bow missing me by about 15' ........

Securite, Securite, Securite - All mariners take heed. The tug Moran heading north bound into the East River in an erratic and dangerous manner.

Heard the CG call him, they never called me and I never heard their conversation.

Well played

No need for AIS. In our area a simple smartphone with Marinetraffic can give the info you need to effectively communicate with a vessel at a distance before it becomes an issue.

The Marine Traffic web app has a significant delay. I know I watch myself on it when I am stalking other boater friends:blush:

Don't forget that you can use those horns for a "one whistle" of Two whistle" pass.

The Marine Traffic web app has a significant delay. I know I watch myself on it when I am stalking other boater friends:blush:

Yes it does have a delay at times, but I find that it's better than nothing. I appreciate knowing the vessel's name in case I need to coordinate a pass or crossing on the radio. It's also helpful while monitoring the VTS channels so I get the 'big picture' of what's moving in my area.

Back
Top Bottom