View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I use an orbital sander with 60 grit. Change the sand paper often as they are cheap and easy to change, Velcro. Then final sand with 120 grit. You do not have to sand to bare, just rough update and smooth. For deep gouges groove scratchs fill with a finishing epoxy. I use west system epoxy with different additives for the spplication. Main thing is a smooth surface.

I would try sanding and heat gun on black stripe to see what works. Don't worry how ugly it looks as you are going to paint over

I recommend working small areas as you can blend feather. However best to break at natural points. Again you don't have to sand completly bare, but only rough and smooth. My project this year is repaint Portuguese bridge and pilot house. 90 of work is prep and prime.

The secret to marine paint is prep and primer to make the surface a flat constant surface, and lightly sand before applying a thin gloss top coat. I use 1 part Brightside sold at most marine stores. So the coverage protection is the primer not the gloss top coat, which is to make pudy. Sorta like foundation to cover and flat surface to the apply powder, blush to make purdy. Oh, the top gloss coat should be the same thickness as nail polish, just enough to cover, and blend feather for that slick wet look.

Painting a boat is the same principle as paint you face.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote