Cable TV Inlet Location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myronf

I have a new to me Grand Banks 36. I will be staying at a number of marinas this coming winter that have cable tv as part of their package.

My boat has never had a cable tv hook up and I am not sure where to install the Cable TV Inlet.
Does it matter? Should it be adjacent to the power inlets?

Thank you
Myron

They typically are installed right next to the shore power inlet.

David

And instead of installing a cable TV inlet on the boat -- and then running coax from that into your cabin -- it can be slightly easier to run straight from the marina connection direct to the back of your TV.

Not as elegant, especially if you want to feed several TVs in several locations on the boat... but it's minimal work.

-Chris

And instead of installing a cable TV inlet on the boat -- and then running coax from that into your cabin -- it can be slightly easier to run straight from the marina connection direct to the back of your TV.

Not as elegant, especially if you want to feed several TVs in several locations on the boat... but it's minimal work.

-Chris

:thumb: and defers the final disfiguring cuts until you are 100.00% sure as to ultimate locations.

I agree with the above, adding an external jack is not the best setup, espcially in a salt water environment, we just found an opening under the gunnel to snake the cable up, then placed it coiled up in a wall door and when needed attached to TV, we used it mostly for watching the weather, but nice to see some local news if you are rained in at a location for a while.

"we used it mostly for watching the weather, but nice to see some local news if you are rained in at a location for a while."

A very small antenna will pull in local on air stations , at the dock or on the hook.

The locals keep the best track of local weather , tho you may need a car road map to know where they are talking about.

"we used it mostly for watching the weather, but nice to see some local news if you are rained in at a location for a while."

A very small antenna will pull in local on air stations , at the dock or on the hook.

The locals keep the best track of local weather , tho you may need a car road map to know where they are talking about.

If you're using an over the air antenna, check out one of the OTA map apps on most smart phones stores that will tell you where to point it for the best reception. I use OTAMap on an iPad and it will show any tower I get signal using the GPS to know where it is.

If you're using an over the air antenna, check out one of the OTA map apps on most smart phones stores that will tell you where to point it for the best reception. I use OTAMap on an iPad and it will show any tower I get signal using the GPS to know where it is.

You don't have to point a proper marine TV antenna, they are omnidirectional and receive TV signals 360 degrees.

And to answer the original question, the cable inlet is usually installed next to the power inlet as the two cables will usually be coming from the same power pedestal.

Not having a cable inlet usually leads to a more difficult setup and having to leave a window or door open for the cable.

For urban areas I have a small digital antenna. It works great. My concern is when the marinaa is in the boonies and cable is available. I am not crazy about having doors or windows open to get the cable onto the boat. Therefore the need for the cable TV inlet.

Myron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom