Thread: Exhaust Risers
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
smitty477
Guru

City: Northport
"But be sure that the hose to the packing gland doesn't have any dips so it will fully drain."

They are almost a straight run down to the gland - I have checked that run on this boat and past boats which were very similar and there was never a blockage at the gland of within the line. By playing with the line "on and off' right after and during operation you can see that it drains within seconds of engine "off". Between this boat and my last 3 I have just about 25 years with this set up.

"Are you a boatdiesel member?"
I was for a dozen years or so but I am not currently - if you want to copy the picture be my guest - I have maybe 2 dozen shots of the inside of these risers somewhere around home. I had brought that particular riser home to insect carefully after last season and could see quite well all around inside with bright flashlights and a snake camera in some areas even with my 'older' eyes.

FWIW - this is a typical set up on many Bayliner with diesels and is similar with all their models and engines in this range - 32, 34, 36, 37, 38 , 39, 45 and 47. There were more than a few thousand boats like this and it has been an active topic at times on the Baylinerowners club over the past 20+ years. I have never heard of a problem at the BOC with either the original cast iron risers or any of the aftermarket SS risers due to these drain lines - quite the contrary.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote