IPAD chartplotter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought Inavx after ready some positive reviews and confirming that it would work with an external GPS. It wasn't cheap at $50 bucks but was a fraction of a boat unit... This plotter was a poor choice for me. The charts are expensive! $300 every two years for the west coast of the US and Canada??? Too much. Also the charts are difficult to select and navigate. this would have improved with the learning curve but I was turned off by the price of the charts.

Just adding my 2c. after being disappointed with Inavx...

I use iNavX on my iPad Air and could not be more pleased. I've been using it for a couple of years, first a supplement to my Garmin 740, and now as primary, keeping the Garmin in the radar mode.

The CHS charts are pretty expensive, but iNavX will display both raster charts and vector charts -- the detail is amazing with the vector charts. I downloaded the Canadian Navionics Canadian 2XG charts from X-Traverse, which includes virtually all Canadian waters, the San Juans, all of Puget Sound and as far south as Portland. It was around 50 bucks and X-Traverse seems to have eliminated the annual subscription fee.

There are as many opinions as there are Apps, but iNavX has worked well for me.

Cheers, Vic

Is anyone here familiar with the crowd-sourcing of bottom depth for Navionics charts? I read a great article about it but can't research it right this moment.

From what I've seen in the CA Delta, it's made a significant improvement in bottom depth accuracy. And....after all, isn't that why we have chartplotters and depth sounders...to stay off the bottom?

This may not be the article that you are referring to, but there is a great discussion here Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Navionics SonarCharts, now via SonarPhone or GPX file, plus the Lowrance autopilot

Make sure to read all the comments

Last edited:
We have been using Blue Chart as well, as a backup to our Raymarine/Navionics MFD, mainly in the Bahamas. What sold me on it is that Blue Chart uses explorer charts for the Bahamas, which I have found to be much more accurate than the Navionics charts. Either way, it's nice to have two different charts for the same area.

I used iSailor Sunday, took me right to the canal I was looking for in pea soup fog in Oak Bay. I work with a fellow at work who uses it on his North Pacific and another friend who uses it on his Catalina 32. They both recommended it to me.

I also have Bluecharts, weren't they the one who didn't have the breakwater in Oakland charted that was discussed a few moths ago? Sorry but the Garmin bluecharts look to cartoony to me.

I have C-Map charts on my Standard Horizon chart-plotter, I like having the redundancy of the iPad and iSailor. I have AIS display on it, AND on iSailor.

The major drawback to Blue Chart app to me is it can't be used to navigate like a Chartplotter. Otherwise, it is quite nice. Including the Active Captain info.

Trying out iSailor right now. Looks interesting. But trying out figure out in it how to start it following/navigating a route or going to a waypoint (I have my routes and waypoints in the data base) and why head up, course up are greyed out and not selectable.

The major drawback to Blue Chart app to me is it can't be used to navigate like a Chartplotter. Otherwise, it is quite nice. Including the Active Captain info.

Trying out iSailor right now. Looks interesting. But trying out figure out in it how to start it following/navigating a route or going to a waypoint (I have my routes and waypoints in the data base) and why head up, course up are greyed out and not selectable.

What I have done mainly with isailor is simply tap on the screen where you want to go and a box opens up there. You can drag it around until you get the way point just where you want it and then in the box that opens up choose the little pair of dividers icon and that's your go to.
You will then get all the info , time distance eta etc to the waypoint. Often before you get to that waypoint you will just put in another forther ahead on your journey.

For stored waypoint the same select the waypoint and select the go to icon and your done.

From memory the grayed out heading choice choice becomes active once you are actually navigating underway, I have seen this before but I cant fully remember but I ma sure it just comes available once you are on the go.

Also you can select the compass rose on the chart that gives you your ,main info, like speed heading, etc and then you can maximise the actual chart itself on the screen.

There is heaps more but I just tap and go , pinch and zoom on anything I want then just find ship again. I run more than one device so I might have an overall big picture time to destination on one and my zoomed in short lesg I am creating as I go. I have done hundred of miles up the Australian coast this way and find it just so easy and and accurate .

I am a detail freak so I am constantly checking the charts and zooming in etc, The ipad for me is much easier than my big 120 Raymarine and its wherever I am not just stuck in the wheelhouse.

Only draw back is if your ipad is sitting in sun it can overheat and quit to cool off and daylight viewing is not as good as Raymarine.

I have powered holders dotted around the boat where I have my navirunning so I can keep an eye on the chart all the time and not run out of battery.

I am not a techno person if I can work it out I am sure anyone can.

Good luck its a great app IMHO

What I have done mainly with isailor is simply tap on the screen where you want to go and a box opens up there. You can drag it around until you get the way point just where you want it and then in the box that opens up choose the little pair of dividers icon and that's your go to.
You will then get all the info , time distance eta etc to the waypoint. Often before you get to that waypoint you will just put in another forther ahead on your journey.

For stored waypoint the same select the waypoint and select the go to icon and your done.

From memory the grayed out heading choice choice becomes active once you are actually navigating underway, I have seen this before but I cant fully remember but I ma sure it just comes available once you are on the go.

Also you can select the compass rose on the chart that gives you your ,main info, like speed heading, etc and then you can maximise the actual chart itself on the screen.

There is heaps more but I just tap and go , pinch and zoom on anything I want then just find ship again. I run more than one device so I might have an overall big picture time to destination on one and my zoomed in short lesg I am creating as I go. I have done hundred of miles up the Australian coast this way and find it just so easy and and accurate .

I am a detail freak so I am constantly checking the charts and zooming in etc, The ipad for me is much easier than my big 120 Raymarine and its wherever I am not just stuck in the wheelhouse.

Only draw back is if your ipad is sitting in sun it can overheat and quit to cool off and daylight viewing is not as good as Raymarine.

I have powered holders dotted around the boat where I have my navirunning so I can keep an eye on the chart all the time and not run out of battery.

I am not a techno person if I can work it out I am sure anyone can.

Good luck its a great app IMHO

Thanks. Will play around with it more.

Andrewf and others here:
Thanks for the tips on iPad nav software apps, really appreciate it. I should send you waypoint for beer this summer!

Been playing/learning on iSailor last few days at the kitchen table, very impressive tool, intuitive, easy to lay in waypoints and courses. Figured out the tide table tool too.

Can't wait to try it on the water and run it with my old Standard Horizon plotter and antique radar. This kinda stuff is the way forward in the fog for me!

Next is build RAM mounts for it below and topside, work up some USB power distribution.

+1 for the Garmin blue chart app. Layer in Active captain to it and its hard to beat.

GF,

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you all the routes we have for the Islands and you can play with importing them into iSailor. Will definitely have to meet up for a cold one!

Great discussion and info on this thread. Now if I can just get the Admiral to do the trial and selection process. She's crazy about her I pad but overwhelmed by the options.

I held off replying on this thread since I wanted to wait until I have worked everything out on my new iPad.

I must admit that I have a love-hate relationship with iNavx. I originally bought an iPad because of the navigation app, iNavx. And...I loaded $600 worth of CHS charts, as well as the navionics charts. So, all in, a $700 "investment" in it. We used it exclusively for navigation when we did our bareboat charters in 2012. The first boat we chartered had some very old setup that I just didn't trust, and it wasn't available on the fly bridge. I don't recall what there was in the second vessel.

What I like: the CHS raster charts, route plotting, track recording, etc. The NOAA charts are free to download. It was a godsend during our inauguration into cruising. What I don't like? The recent instability issues and the CHS charts. They're too GD expensive! And they have a short lifespan for updates.

INavx has struggled with the changing IOS systems. I'm not sure whether some of the issues were due to my original iPad II which has aged and become sluggish with the IOS updates. I have now updated to the new iPad 9.7" Pro. I figured that the latest iPad was the way to go with all the changes to the IOS. I managed to convince XTraverse to allow me to "transfer" my CHS charts to my new iPad. In doing so I have the latest CHS charts. However, it's a onetime agreement. Hopefully there will be now issues that arise on the near term. And iNavx has been very responsive to my queries and bur reports.

I cannot comment on the other nav apps. We use Coastal Explorer for our onboard system. The iPad is our backup. We loaned it to another vessel last summer when their Garmin plotter packed it in.

FWIW

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Have to put in a plug for isailor on the iPad. I was pretty skeptical, seemed too cheap to be good, but it works great for me. Tested in Downeast Maine, Seattle and on a delivery from Norfolk to Saint Marten over the past year. Using the built in gps only accuracy is impressive. I haven't found any problems with the charts and have gotten free updates. Prices for charts I bought were pretty cheap though I did notice that the Bahamas charts seemed a bit dear. My only gripe is the small screen size of the iPad when compared to a big plotter. But then I think back to my Trimble sat nav with digital Lat-Long readout and I stop whining. Where did I put that sextant?

My first iPad nav app was 'Plan2Nav'. It uses Jeppeson charts, but lacks the detail I get on Nobeltec Trident.

So I just downloaded iSailor and purchased charts for my local area. It is superior to thePlan2Nav in regards to detail in a few tricky areas that I regularly use for anchoring in Moreton Bay, so I'm looking forward to using it next time I'm out.

Yes, I agree. I have iSailer too Brian. Looks good. I am looking forward to getting out there and comparing it to the Navionics on the pad I already have and quite like.

By the way. We have had a slight change of plan. I now will only sell Lotus if someone meets my price or betters it. I am leaning towards hanging onto it actually. I have a cunning plan - at least I think it is. :socool:

Pete
Good for you. I think the best plan is for your kids to sell it, eventually, after they have respectfully carried you off it in a wooden box. Tell 'em not to hold their breath, it's going to be a while.:)

I also have the CHS charts, but I've lately been using a better option...The Navionics 2XG charts from X-Traverse are only around 50 bucks and cover all Canadian waters, plus all of Puget Sound. And, being true vector charts, are much more readable on my iPad Air. I'll soon be upgrading to the 9.7" iPad Pro, but my current model has worked flawlessly for me, using the NOAA, CHS and Navionics charts. Since switching to the Navionics charts, the CHS & NOAA charts go unused.

--Vic

I held off replying on this thread since I wanted to wait until I have worked everything out on my new iPad.

What I like: the CHS raster charts, route plotting, track recording, etc. The NOAA charts are free to download. It was a godsend during our inauguration into cruising. What I don't like? The recent instability issues and the CHS charts. They're too GD expensive! And they have a short lifespan for updates.

I cannot comment on the other nav apps. We use Coastal Explorer for our onboard system. The iPad is our backup. We loaned it to another vessel last summer when their Garmin plotter packed it in.

FWIW

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Funny...yeah, making the mental comparison to raster-scans, which suck when expanded! (Maybe the True ones are guaranteed not to lie?)

:)

True?

What would be an alternative vector chart?

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom