Flag Etiquette/Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our national anthem message: you're crushing us, but we will overcome.

Tune based on a popular English bar song. (Reminder: "we" were all English then.) Perhaps being slightly intoxicated makes the anthem easier to sing and to listen.

Good one Ted....

An anthem showing the world a young republic can defeat a tyrant nation....

And something that is hard...not easy......to sing or understand....

Those should be the basis of all American ideals.....

Ask those who have bled for this country on what should be our anthem and how to display our flag... not just those who have the luxury of living in its shadow.

Are you referring to Canadians?

I fly the US flag all the time. I would never not fly it because I am ashamed or afraid.

If I'm that afraid, I would not go to that place.

But most of all, I'm just proud to be an American!

Are you referring to Canadians?

I fly the US flag all the time. I would never not fly it because I am ashamed or afraid.

If I'm that afraid, I would not go to that place.

But most of all, I'm just proud to be an American!

Not referring to Canadians ...

Just that I am not sure if others have the clarity of what simple things mean to those with conviction.

Good to go through life with caution..... but not fear.

Fly the flag you are proud of and defend her meaning at all costs.

Just that I am not sure if others have the clarity of what simple things mean to those with conviction.

yeah, time to move the thread along...

My wife wants to get a new US Flag for our stern as the one that came with the boat is getting very faded. Left our good flag on the sailboat we haven't sold yet.

I will miss the flag halyards on the starboard spreader from my sailboat. Great place for courtesy flags, burgees, and required flags. I only have the bow stick available now and just can't see flying a courtesy flag from it.

American Flags is where I get mine. Great selection, good prices, and they top quality flags in addition to the average stuff.

Ted

My wife wants to get a new US Flag for our stern as the one that came with the boat is getting very faded. Left our good flag on the sailboat we haven't sold yet.

I will miss the flag halyards on the starboard spreader from my sailboat. Great place for courtesy flags, burgees, and required flags. I only have the bow stick available now and just can't see flying a courtesy flag from it.

Use your VHF antennae.

I moved the burgee pole from the bow to the starboard railing (top deck on a Krogen 42).

Now fly my courtesy flags from that pole. Seems to be acceptable and is very easy to change.

While all the boat flag etiquette sites do say remove it at night, you are correct that the actual US Flag Code does have an allowance for illumination.

Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset, although the Flag Code permits night time display "when a patriotic effect is desired" and the flag is illuminated
Sure, for "buildings and stationary flagstaffs in open", but our boats are not buildings or poles set in the ground.

Historically, on vessels, the custom is 0800 to sunset. 0800 is from naval custom allowing the cleaning of the vessel before the officers "turn to" (i.e. begin work). Except in unmanned craft and in inclement weather.

The USCG in Vallejo fly their US and CG colors around the clock even though they are unlit.

I leave my large USA flag flying 24/7 without illumination, but most of the time the boat is under cover in my slip.

Sure, for "buildings and stationary flagstaffs in open", but our boats are not buildings or poles set in the ground.

Historically, on vessels, the custom is 0800 to sunset. 0800 is from naval custom allowing the cleaning of the vessel before the officers "turn to" (i.e. begin work). Except in unmanned craft and in inclement weather.

Wifey B: That's one of those rules too that you think about and makes no sense to be firm about. He's got it on his stern. Outside that accepted practice, why does it need to be lowered? To protect it? Not that I see. It's like flags in inclement weather. Well, there are flags made now that can handle it. I'm of the school if someone wants to fly it, fly away, and, if they don't, the don't. Naval customs on our little boats don't make sense. I say, do what you wanna do, whatever makes you happy. We're not big flag flyers but for those who are, more power to you.

I think I want an electric flag. Can just turn on and off when desired......oh hubby.....where are you.....is there such a thing? If not, needs to be cause I want it. :)

I think I want an electric flag. Can just turn on and off when desired......oh hubby.....where are you.....is there such a thing? If not, needs to be cause I want it. :)

yeah, but will your generator handle the load. ;)

"If I'm that afraid, I would not go to that place.
But most of all, I'm just proud to be an American!"

Many Americans in southern Euroland fly the German flag. Italy & Greece

Beggars are the problem not bombers , and the locals know the Germans wont give then the time of day.

Every day, our yacht club asks that everyone in the dining room stand and face the flagpole for the lowering of the American flag at sundown.

Every morning (9:00 AM?) the patrons at Chick & Ruth's Deli on Main Street in Annapolis are asked to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

Likely you are right.

I must agree with WifeyB though, we got stuck with a crummy anthem. I think the poem is fine, but if you steal a tune, pick on a good tune that normal folks can actually sing.

One of the best sounding national anthems is the old soviet anthem. Great music. Another really good anthem for words and music is "Oh Canada". Two great reasons to move to Canada, "The Star Spangled Banner" and Donald Trump.

France has a great anthem. Witness the scene in Casablanca where the Frenchmen drown out the Nazis in the room. O Canada is not bad either.

For nearly 250 years people have fought and died for this idea called the USA.

While people think traditions should be updated every now and then....like finally accepting the Declaration of Independence ideals that all men and women are created equal....which took too long but we are getting there....some are just fine in the eyes of those sworn to defend those rights.

Is it really something requiring personal effort to change.....or to defend and improve? To improve and leave traditions to change when something more important than personal opinion thinks do?

Nautical and naval traditions are intertwined based on their origins.

Last edited:
Is it really something requiring personal effort to change.....or to defend and improve? To improve and leave traditions to change when something more important than personal opinion thinks do?

What?

We fly our 30" x 48" (45' boat) flag on our stern pole night and day. Have to replace it about every 15 months though since I too hate tattered ensigns!

Attachments

• Ensign 1.jpg
    Ensign 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 94
The National Flag Code was enacted June 14th, 1923. Prior to that the US Government had no regulations for flying the flag.

psnleed,

Well put.

Think I will just keep on honoring the flag and what it means in the proper and correct manner.

God bless America for me but I served for anyone else to be able to have their own opinion.

As far as Nautical Traditions count me all in right down to the pig and chicken tattoos!

The Flag Advisor - 1

From Active Cap't:

Nearly every cruising boat on the water flies one or more flags. But get
into a discussion about flag etiquette and rules, and no one can seem to
agree on the full set of what's right and what's wrong.

So we'll take it on over the summer. We'll research the generally
accepted practices and bring a couple of topics into the discussion.
Note that we're going to present the findings for recreational boats.
Military, government, or special use boats might well have different
sets of rules and accepted practices.

For this first part, we'll discuss the rules surrounding national and
courtesy flags, and flag sizes.

Courtesy and national flags

Rule 1. There are no real rules. There are customs and some flag
etiquette rules that have been adapted for boats. However, when visiting
another country, make sure there are no laws about flying courtesy flags
because boaters have been known to receive fines. It is often an insult
to fly a courtesy flag of another country incorrectly.

2. A vessel's national flag is flown from the stern.

3. If not prohibited, you can fly another location flag (state, province,
territory) at the main masthead in place of any private, yacht club, or
officer's flag. On a mastless boat, a state flag flies from either the bow
or radio antenna.

4. Only the national flag should be at the stern. It is considered a
place of honor for the vessel's national flag. Never put any other flag
there.

5. Do not fly a courtesy flag (a small flag of the country you're
visiting) until your vessel has been properly cleared by customs and
immigration. Until clearance is complete, fly the yellow Q (quarantine)
flag.

6. On a powerboat without a mast, the courtesy flag replaces any flag
that is normally flown at the bow.

7. On a powerboat with a mast and spreaders, the courtesy flag is flown
at the starboard spreader. On a powerboat with two-masts, the courtesy
flag is flown from the starboard spreader of the forward mast.

8. On a sailboat, the courtesy flag is flown at the starboard spreader.
On sailboats with more than one mast, the courtesy flag is flown from
the starboard spreader of the forward mast.

9. Don't fly a foreign courtesy flag after you return to your home
country.

Flag sizing

These are not well agreed upon. Chapman's suggests the following:

1. The national flag at the stern of your boat should be one inch long
for every foot of overall vessel length rounded up to a normally
available size.

2. Other flags (club burgees, private signals, courtesy flags) should
be one-half inch long for every foot of overall vessel length.

Another competing sizing suggests:

1. Boats up to 50 feet in length should use a 16 x 24 inch national
flag and 12 x 18 inch courtesy flags.

2. For every 25 additional feet in length, increase the size by one
standard size.

Flags give your boat some identity and even add some beauty. We'll
continue with some of the other accepted rules in future segments.

I have been trying to find that information. I have read some countries can be a little fussy about flag protocal.

Test of what type person you are. When you warn someone about flag or documentation rules and he or she responds that they are just silly rules that no one cares about and then some country decides to fine that person 200 or 500 Euros, what is your reaction.

Heck...disrespect the American Flag and be cavalier about it...and see if some fellow Americans will tell you to pound sand the next time you ask for help.

I got over that years ago....but really, don't press it......:D

Most typical of sailboats: no flags except perhaps their club burgee from the starboard spreader. Power boaters (less sidetracked by sails) usually fly two flags: the national flag from the stern and a club burgee or private burgee at the bow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom