Maxwell Nillson Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstauffer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenus
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
I purchased a boat with a VWC700 (VO700) anchor windlass and when I went to service the windlass found the top screw on the capstan (mainshaft above clutch nut) was frozen. I have soaked it overnight with Blaster PB penetrating catalyst with no success. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the same windless, but no suggestions beyond what you've tried. I'd like to ask, however, that once you get it apart you post a few pics of the internals. A new clutch is on my long list of projects. Good luck!

That's a flat tip screw correct? (I think I have that windlass)
If you have an impact driver with an appropriately sized tip or a very large screwdriver that you can put vise grips or an adjustable wrench on the shaft to turn that might break it free.

I've had mine apart a couple of times, they are pretty simple.

Soak for more than overnight. when you do go after the screw the screw here are v2 thoughts.

the old fashioned Brace (as in brace and bit) will accept a screw driver in its jaw.

By using your body weight you may be able to push hard enough not to strip the head.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...=STdDV_6_PIyv-AHmla6QDg#imgrc=CpHG1JTuk6TKDM:

Second choice is an impact driver. These are under $10, and a good choice if you own one.

Sears.com

They will help a good deal if someone has screwed up a Phillips head .

Impact driver.

But first you could fit a large screw driver in the slot and hit it with a hammer several times to see if that breaks it loose.

If you use a large screw drive with a square shaft you can fit a wrench to the driver shaft for more leverage.

Did all the above without success. However, a friend of mine had a battery operated impact wrench, with a fully charged battery, along with what is called a "drag link socket" that finally broke it loose. Was about to give up on it and decided to actually try and tighten it. Did that and then reversed it and it broke loose and came out.

I can take pictures and post, or if you want to give me you email I can pdf a copy of the manual to you. Not sure if you can private message me on this forum or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom