Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah the Japanese whaling. Yeah I'm very anti-whaling. I'm a volly for Sea shepherd in Fremantle. Ive done some behind the scenes work on their vessels when they come to port and give one day a fortnight rattling a tin collecting donations for the cause. Another thing close to my heart is ocean rubbish. I can't believe how many people just dump their crap. A dive club connected with Sea Shepherd that I'm a part of does an annual underwater clean up of the harbour. Last year we pulled out 10 tonne of crap from tyres to batteries to toilets and prams out of our harbour.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Good job mate. Next time you go out to clean the ocean rattle my cage and I'll send you money to buy a few pints for the crew. Dumping in the water is one of my all time top pet peeves. I can get nasty when i see someone doing that and after a pint or two no telling what i would do. Saw a couple heading into a marina clean up a bit and throw the crap overboard. Found some of it floating and snagged it with a net then caught up to them a safe distance behind hopeing to see what marina they went into so i could return their lost items. They pulled into the dock at a nice restruant so i added some more crap to theirs, put it into a large womans purse of my wifes she used for junk with the intent to dump it in their lap. However, didnt get a good enough look at them to see in the dim restruant light so i just emptied it all in their boat and the contents of the garbage can on the dock as well. My wife left them a note so they would know why their crap and more was being returned. Grrrrrrrrrr.....
Hope they learned their lesson

Matt,

Have you molded in wire ways and chases throughout the hull?

Last edited:
Good job mate. Next time you go out to clean the ocean rattle my cage and I'll send you money to buy a few pints for the crew. Dumping in the water is one of my all time top pet peeves. I can get nasty when i see someone doing that and after a pint or two no telling what i would do. Saw a couple heading into a marina clean up a bit and throw the crap overboard. Found some of it floating and snagged it with a net then caught up to them a safe distance behind hopeing to see what marina they went into so i could return their lost items. They pulled into the dock at a nice restruant so i added some more crap to theirs, put it into a large womans purse of my wifes she used for junk with the intent to dump it in their lap. However, didnt get a good enough look at them to see in the dim restruant light so i just emptied it all in their boat and the contents of the garbage can on the dock as well. My wife left them a note so they would know why their crap and more was being returned. Grrrrrrrrrr.....
Hope they learned their lesson

Ah that's very generous of you mate. Thank you. Yeh the oceans are a big part of my life and If I can do something to help give back then I'll do it. Pollution like that boils down to one thing and one thing only imho and that's laziness.

Good on you for doing that mate. It's good to know there are still some decent people in this world and I'm pleased to be your friend..!

There should be more of it I reckon.

Bob Cofer said...
Matt,

What's that mate?

I think he means what we would call conduits Matt. Tubes to push or pull wiring and plumbing through to save having to drill lots of orts (holes), to feed wires and pipes through later..?

My grandfather used to call holes 'orts' for some reason. It's not Cockney, or I don't think it is, so not sure where it comes from. Could it be Aussie slang, because he came from Buninyong, Victoria, then moved to NZ as a blacksmith..?

Last edited:
Bob Cofer said...
Matt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78
What's that mate?

I think he means what we would call conduits Matt. Tubes to push or pull wiring and plumbing through to save having to drill lots of orts (holes), to feed wires and pipes through later..?

My grandfather used to call holes 'orts' for some reason. It's not Cockney, or I don't think it is, so not sure where it comes from. Could it be Aussie slang, because he came from Buninyong, Victoria, then moved to NZ as a blacksmith..?

I'm quite confident that is what Bob was referring to. Standard construction term here in the States for "channels" (protective or not) to run wiring or water lines, gas lines and the like through to locations where they are needed.

Matt,

These guys have described what I was asking about.

Bob

Bob Cofer said...
Matt,

Ah roger roger. Thanks for that :)

I'm quite confident that is what Bob was referring to. Standard construction term here in the States for "channels" (protective or not) to run wiring or water lines, gas lines and the like through to locations where they are needed.

Cool. Come to think of it electricians and plumbers here 'chase' cables and pipes into brick walls. Didn't "twig" :)

Matt,

These guys have described what I was asking about.

Bob

Okie dokie well yes I have in some places like through bulkheads and through hard to reach places. I have a snake to push/pull wires through through :)

Matt,

Came upon this yesterday here in Desolation Sound and was thinking you might be interested in this for your next project. Its got some good bones left, and just a bit larger, but what the hey, are you up for it?

Attachments

• 20160521_055159.jpg
    20160521_055159.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 74
It was just a thought to make your life easier.

I have been rewiring Ebbtide and wishing for an easy path from the helm to the roof and bow to stern.

So, the one constant thought when building the hull was bending the 20mm plywood. How do I do it. I don't have steam box a or machines etc. There at a number or bending methods. The tortured ply "method" allows plywood to bend on two planes, instead of what is normally just one. Just how much can it be bent this way? Is precision reasonably attainable with this method? I mean, if I design bulkheads, will I be able to "torture" the ply to those bulkheads, or do I have to start with a precise angle at the chine and then it will only "torture" so much? Well the issue has been evident when trying to build the perfect hull and I've been putting this section off trying to avoid it but Ultimately I couldn't torture the 20mm plywood panels. So I was left with the question of what to do now on the port and starboard bow sections where I needed the plywood to bend in two directions; not just one. Well today I strip planked (sort of) the areas. I made up some curved gussets to form the curvature I found pleasing to the eye then screwed the plywood strips to the gussets then skim coated them with epoxy glue. I'll need to blend and fair into the hull to close out the curve but ultimately once this is all faired and paint ready, this section will look great.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000209.525759.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000219.195063.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000228.872766.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000241.323494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000252.674911.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000263.378391.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000272.927456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000282.362064.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000294.580425.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464000303.398805.jpg

Matt,

Came upon this yesterday here in Desolation Sound and was thinking you might be interested in this for your next project. Its got some good bones left, and just a bit larger, but what the hey, are you up for it?

Hahaha mate I'm keen if you are :)

It was just a thought to make your life easier.

I have been rewiring Ebbtide and wishing for an easy path from the helm to the roof and bow to stern.

Yeah mate appreciate the heads up mate. Thank you!

How come you're doing a rewire?

Matt - Incredible efforts! Good on ya!

Matt,

Replaced all the electronics, installed a NMEA 2000 network throughout the hull, prepped for an auto pilot, generator and water maker. Added outlets, lighting, LP gas detector, bilge alarm and plumbed in an air tank and compressor for the new horn.

P.S. Did I mention it's what I do for a living?

Bob

Matt,

Replaced all the electronics, installed a NMEA 2000 network throughout the hull, prepped for an auto pilot, generator and water maker. Added outlets, lighting, LP gas detector, bilge alarm and plumbed in an air tank and compressor for the new horn.

P.S. Did I mention it's what I do for a living?

Bob

Bob.
Id love to bounce some ideas and get your help with the electronics/electrical side of this project.

Would I please be allowed to email you and work with you on this side of the build?

Last edited:
Matt, that fairing work on the hull is beautifully done. But, I'm worried about the void space in there! With no ventilation, it is very vulnerable to rot...

Greetings,
Mr. H. Mr. X beat me to it regarding the "void". Sorry mate but with a wooden boat, or any boat, you can NEVER, ever, ever, ever have too much ventilation. IF you want a transition betwixt the rubbing strake and the upper part of the hull, I really think a radiused fillet would be your safest bet in that particular location. Might not look as elegant but...

Last edited:
Gday guys, The reason I left the top open was because I was undecided about backfilling the strake with thickened epoxy or just leaving a void. I'll take your advice and fill it up. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it :)

Could only spend a couple of hours at the boat today so I Spent the morning mucking around with the portholes and working out how I'm going to recess them into the hull as opposed to just chucking them on the outside, sanding fibreglass tape and skim coated the strake I built yesterday. Back into it tomorrow

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464075637.956498.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464075650.623776.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464075683.925392.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464075714.301563.jpg

I can tell those are female portholes - LOL They sure resemble girl eyes!

I can tell those are female portholes - LOL They sure resemble girl eyes!

Lol. I bought these a year before I got the boat. I saw them and fell in love with them. They are sexy imho

I am curious tho, which way is up. Do I put the hinges at top so the window swings up or hinges at the bottom so the window swings down. What does everyone have or suggest??

Greetings,
Mr. H. I second hinge to the top. Buy a cheap book. If you forget to dog your port when leaving the boat, it could fall completely open if hinged at the bottom. If hinged at the top, would probably only open a crack...Think hard, driving rain time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom