Fresh Water System Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Hi Folks,

Filled my 70 gallon water tank the other day as I had many times in the past three years but when I got back to my mooring ball I had no water at the faucets. Tanks are still full and I can hear the pump running. I need to troubleshoot it and would like any suggestions on where to start. Seems like it's lost it's prime to me but?

If I disconnect the input line to see if it's got suction would that be the place to start? Then what??

Thanks all,

Robert in Boot Key Harbor making repairs to my boat in exotic places...

Tank shut off? Plugged pre-pump screen? Loose clamp/hose allowing pump to suck air?
Let us know what you find!
Bruce

Mud dauber nest blocking the tank vent? They're a major problem in the spring.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Thanks for the quick response Bruce.. Tank shutoff? I don't even know where that is! So I probably didn't shut it off. I think your guess of pump sucking air is probably the ticket. I haven't checked those hoses since I bought the boat 3 years ago embarrassed to admit. Now that you mention it I think before it ran out I vaguely remember wondering why one of the faucets was spitting air here and there..
I'm going in...

Peggie may be on to something...
An easy test would be to open the fill port and see if you can prime.
If it works while open but struggles when closed go find the tank vent and see what's plugging it!

Thanks Peggy,

I'll check the vent. I did see a dauber around here a few weeks ago!

Also are you the Peggy Hall from Marina Del Ray in the early 70's? If so I met you a few times back then when I worked for the Galiongee Mariner Service...

If not, then the world's not as small as I thought.. maybe.

Robert in Boot Key Harbor making repairs to my boat in exotic places...

What pump do you have? Is there a check valve between the pump and the tank? if not, a loss of prime is likely.

My vent is clogged with some bug debris, likely mud and the pump pumps fine. I can fill the tank ok until it gets close to the top, then it splashes back at me from the filler.

It is likely that your pump is self priming in other words a positive displacement pump. If the hoses allow it to suck air it will not prime.
Of course you could be hearing a pump motor running but the actual pump itself is not running depending on the type of pump it could have a joy coupling that has come off the shaft, broke shaft, or torn up impeller. As others noted, more info on the pump might be in order.
The fact that you were picking up air pumping out of your faucet would seem to support the possibility of a bad suction hose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom