What is "BATT PARA"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7tiger7

I have this button on my lower helm and flybridge.

What is "PARA BATT"?* Parallel the batteries? Is it portuguese for "Stop Batteries"?

Paralyze the batteries?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• img_3910.jpg
    img_3910.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 81
7tiger7 wrote:

I have this button on my lower helm and flybridge.

What is "PARA BATT"?* Parallel the batteries? Is it portuguese for "Stop Batteries"?

Paralyze the batteries?

Any thoughts?
That's for deployment of the Battery Parachute. Re-entry and subsequent landing can be too hard on the batteries, so they are jettisoned and then float gently to the ground. This is part of the problem with twin engine boats. Had they stuck with one engine, they would never have achieved enough speed to require re-entry.
no.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
disbelief.gif
disbelief.gif

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 27th of February 2011 10:18:58 PM

On our boat we have a similar switch that when pushed, trips a solenoid which ties the house battery bank to the starting bank while the switch is held in and disengages the solenoid when released. Never had to use it, the previous owner put it in. When the button is pushed you can hear the solenoid engaged in the engine room, when the boats quiet. Maybe yours is the same thing.

If that is a parallel battery switch it most likely ties all your batteries together to get one engine cranked. Once cranked, the alternator starts charging the batteries and then you should be able to crank the 2nd engine. Then again, Carey may be on to something.
cowboy.gif

My philosophy on unknown button functions is to push them and see what happens.* Unless it is labeled "Release Poison Gas".* That one, I don't push.

Delfin wrote:

My philosophy on unknown button functions is to push them and see what happens.* Unless it is labeled "Release Poison Gas".* That one, I don't push.
But what if it said "Rel Poi Ga"? Would you still go for it???

Delfin wrote:

Kinda the way I roll!!!

Yeah Delfin -
I tried that when I was about 6 years old in my Dad's Cadillac. In the glove box, there was a yellow button.... it was a trunk release. I pushed it while we were driving down the road... Last time I pushed an unknown button.
lick.gif

Carey wrote:

Delfin wrote:

But what if it said "Rel Poi Ga"? Would you still go for it???

Well DUH, of course I would.* Naturally I would assume it meant Release Poi Gastronomic treat.* I don't like the stuff myself, but I would still like to see what it looked like when released.

Delfin wrote:

LOL. *You know...there was an unmarked push button switch @ my lower helm. *Seller said he had no clue what it was. *I first off had to wonder how on earth someone could own a boat for almost 15 years and NOT know what a switch does! *Regardless- I traced the wires after closing. *It ended up being the manual switch to discharge the engine room fire suppression system! *Glad I didn't push it to see what would happen prior to tracing down the wires. *Now I have to resist the urge to push it to see if it works. *:)

PTA / RTD

Push to Arm / Release to Detonate

Delfin wrote:

Yes, well you have to be careful re that approach.* I tried that - or rather told the kid who found the unknown button up in the flybridge to push it, thinking it was the engine stop button, but it turned out it was the horn button, and when it went off, several people nearly fell in off the dock in shock.

Delfin wrote:

My philosophy on unknown button functions is to push them and see what happens. Unless it is labeled "Release Poison Gas". That one, I don't push.
Often thought about adding a monetary toggle switch to my helm station that always returns to the "up" position after you push it down. Would label it "Sea State" with the "Up" being rough and the "Down" being calm. Wondering how many of my new customers would try to get it to stay in the "Down" position.
smile.gif

Ted

Does it release a battalion of paratroopers?

Such a plethora of knowledge and demonstration of analytical skills.* I am humbled.
wink.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 28th of February 2011 09:52:35 AM

When we bought Victoria she was equipped with one of those plastic 'Panic Button" stick on plaques next to the helm. The funny thing was the red paint was completley worn off the center of the button.

someone should make a new thread: "switches i dont know what are for"
some real chill stories already on what weird switches some owners put in their boat.

Back
Top Bottom