How Do You Keep Your Boat Cool In The Summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all yours :)...

It is far easier to create warm air than cold air.

In the 90-100 degree weather, that we have in Louisiana, how or do you try to keep your boat cool while in the marina when no one is aboard. I had the a/c on last summer for 4 months and cooked a unit. I have fans that I leave on but it just moves hot air.

Why do you think you need to bother..? Just do something like Insequent suggested in post 13. I have a slightly smaller solar vent in the for'd cabin hatch, and just leave one small screened bathroom window open, and ok, the boat is a bit warm when you first go in on a summer day, but quickly improved by opening the pilot and cockpit doors and a couple of windows. Our climate in summer is just as hot as yours, and like Brian says, seems crazy leaving power hungry stuff on, to wear out and chew up electricity, when it is serving little purpose. You US guys have just got too soft & too used to mod cons I reckon... :hide: :whistling:

Why do you think you need to bother..? Just do something like Insequent suggested in post 13. I have a slightly smaller solar vent in the for'd cabin hatch, and just leave one small screened bathroom window open, and ok, the boat is a bit warm when you first go in on a summer day, but quickly improved by opening the pilot and cockpit doors and a couple of windows. Our climate in summer is just as hot as yours, and like Brian says, seems crazy leaving power hungry stuff on, to wear out and chew up electricity, when it is serving little purpose. You US guys have just got too soft & too used to mod cons I reckon... :hide: :whistling:

The humor (humour) is good...

:)

But sometimes opening doors and windows just makes the whole pace even hotter inside, no cool-down effect... "Quickly improved?" Not.

And sometimes it's gotten hot enough inside so that the glue holding some of the wall coverings onto the bulkheads dries out, wall covering starts curling up, pain in the neck...

That's at least as difficult to avoid as mold...

-Chris

It is very humid here, I run a dehumidifier it keeps it dry, but still hot. I figure if I try to vent out the hot dry air it will be replaced with hot "wet" air and I think the high humidity: mildew, mold, etc is worse than the heat. That or may not be so. I haven't noticed any damage from the heat. I do try to get by there a couple or more times a week to open things up. The flybridge gets hot too the back is open so I'll try putting a solar fan up there to circulate the ir some.

I keep two of my four units, the salon and one SR set on humidity control. If you are having to replace your unit, I'd buy one with that capability and use it.

Maybe a small 110 window unit, easily removed when the boat goes out, or one of those "portable" units that stand in the room recycle cool air and exhaust through a vent or window? A 110v is dirt cheap and the portables are not expensive, I have one for "hurricane season" I might give it a try on the boat.

On my little boat I don't run the air conditioner unless I'm aboard. I do have a compact dehumidifier that runs 24/7. It keeps the humidity in the low sixties. No mildew.

We do the same. If the boat is dry to start from running the dehumidifier, it cools very quickly when we get there and turn on the AC.

....standard aviation term for life limited parts..

Kindda like standard grocery store term. Best if used by ?/?/???? I have past mine I think. Getting a little stale.

I first set the temp high. Then occasionally used the humidity setting but noticed that the water lines would grow more stuff if that was running. So then I just hooked up a small fan to move air around. That seemed to work as well and running the ac or the humidity setting.

With 85-90 degree injection temperature from May to September, my old A/Cs still do a good job. However, I do not leave them in operation full time - only when aboard. Yep, pretty warm when you first get aboard. Give the AC 15-20 minutes and it's OK. At 45 minutes, fine.

I can't see wasting the energy and running equipment to avoid the initial discomfort.

As to mold/mildew - I do keep a carpet dryer fan (similar to this: Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot) running 24/7, winter and summer. The way my boat is laid out, the fan projects a sensible air stream from the V-berth doorway all the way through the galley and saloon, to the aft cabin. Moving air = mold suppression.

Water temperature in Rockport TX in August-89 degrees. Galveston Bay 87 degrees. Cannon Bay, FL 90 in June (it's on the gulf coast). Miami peaks at 86.

yeah, I see what you mean. So there is no relief by having the water cooling the hull.

FWIW, I have used dehumidifiers on my last two boats. It runs full time when at our home dock. I always set it on the galley counter and had it drain into the sink. Sailboaters would get all worried that I wasn't closing the galley sink thru hull when leaving the boat, power boaters don't seem to care. I have yet to put the dehumidifier on the new boat. I will do it it likely in the fall when the humidity starts to rise and the temps start to cool. Doing that keeps the boat bone dry even in our winters.

Last edited:
yeah, I see what you mean. So there is no relief by having the water cooling the hull.

FWIW, I have used dehumidifiers on my last two boats. It runs full time when at our home dock. I always set it on the galley counter and had it drain into the sink. Sailboaters would get all worried that I wasn't closing the galley sink thru hull when leaving the boat, power boaters don't seem to care. I have yet to put the dehumidifier on the new boat. I will do it it likely in the fall when the humidity starts to rise and the temps start to cool. Doing that keeps the boat bone dry even in our winters.

My brother bumped his sailboat aground on an outgoing tide last year right outside the marina. It dried out on the sand so he put out a kedge and walked ashore. When the water started getting close to lifting the boat he went back to it to find it flooded with water coming up through the head sink. Cost him thousands, new iPad, new fridge, etc. etc. If he had left it another 45 minutes or so he may have not be able to bail it out before the water reached the gunnel.

The big difference is the keel. A sail boat, (unless bilge keel) lies on its side. A powerboat tends to sit on its bottom.

Attachments

• Panache.jpg
    Panache.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 70
My brother bumped his sailboat aground on an outgoing tide last year right outside the marina. It dried out on the sand so he put out a kedge and walked ashore. When the water started getting close to lifting the boat he went back to it to find it flooded with water coming up through the head sink. Cost him thousands, new iPad, new fridge, etc. etc. If he had left it another 45 minutes or so he may have not be able to bail it out before the water reached the gunnel.

The big difference is the keel. A sail boat, (unless bilge keel) lies on its side. A powerboat tends to sit on its bottom.

Like your brother, I doubt that I would have thought about closing the thru-hulls in his situation. What a bummer.

I'm in South West Florida very warm 90* +/- canal water plus hard growth in my strainers in four to six weeks if used everyday, (growth looks like tiny mussels). A cheap non programmable home window air conditioner on a mechanical clock timer is what I use. (First power outage and the fancy auto/programable need to be reset by a person.)

Last edited:
Shade all exposed to the sun decks that have overhead in cabin or staterooms. If you can draw tarps down to rails to protect bulkheads all the better. Go to fore or aft hatch and install a strong fan blowing out. Go to the opposite end of the boat and open a hatch, a large hatch or 2 Windows. Close all other Windows, hatches, doors and so forth. Suck air in and pull through the boat and blow it out. You should be ok with the attic fan concept.

I used the attic fan concept the pass few days and did notice a difference :D

Would not leave AC units running unatended here in the FL Panhandle. We're on the Gulf Coast Intracoastal Waterway between two passes, and we get inundated with jelly fish at times. Even with an oversize water pump and sea strainer, they can shut down an AC system in a few hours.

I'm in South West Florida very warm 90* +/- canal water plus hard growth in my strainers in four to six weeks if used everyday, (growth looks like tiny mussels).

One old timer's trick it to put a few pennies or copper pipes into your sea strainer. Use pre 1981 pennies because they are copper. When the pennies turn pink, replace them.

It will keep those little mussels away and kill anything else in there.

I've never had anything in my sea strainer.

Roof top air with 1/2" pvc pipe over the side for drain . Kinda tacky but keeps the house cold .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom