Stupid Simple Question - Sorry Neophyte Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imnvegas

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
None Yet
Vessel Make
None Yet
I have been perusing boat ads and I am a bit confused. When it comes to tanks I see this format.

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Stainless steel (110 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 2 (175 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (30 Gallons)

Is the volume in parentheses total gallons or for each tank?

Thanks
:facepalm:

Wouldn't call it a stupid question. I usually never know what that answer is without further clarification in the ad or from discussion with the seller or broker.

Sometimes you can find publish specs -- as in a magzine review or the BUC Book, or whatever -- for a given boat/model that might clarify.

-Chris

Usually it means total.

But as mentioned, you never know without asking. And even then the information may not be right.

That's why I value the words, in this case, "each" and "total". The only thing you know for sure is the holding tank is 30 gallons!

That's why I value the words, in this case, "each" and "total". The only thing you know for sure is the holding tank is 30 gallons!

Ray, we are talking about a broker ad so the only thing you can really be sure of there might be a boat for sale and it might have a holding tank. :)

Sometimes that data is supplied by YachtWorld based on boat manufacturer & model. When in doubt, ask the broker. I'm not saying they would know the answer but a decent broker would find out and get back to you. I saw a Beneteau fast trawler listed with 180 gallons of fuel. Turns out it had 2 x 200 gallon tanks... Even then, not enough fuel.

If it means anything, the couple times I've asked a broker for clarification about this, I was told "Number of Tanks" (Gallons per tank) :whistling:

As always though, clarification is always best. . .

Yep, those would be helpful words.

Building on that...

Guesses (in lieu of factoids) can take boat size into account, too. In OP's example, two stainless freshwater tanks giving a total of 110 gallons and two fuel tanks totaling 175 gallons (an odd number, BTW, for multiples of 2) might be something like a 30-35' boat? And maybe a boat with lower fuel consumption than ours?

-Chris

No such thing as a " stupid question". Ask away!!

We here at TF are very good with stupid questions. We are eminently qualified to give stupid answers! (although there are usually some really good answers sprinkled in, you just have to find them!)

It should be clarified. Might be indicated elsewhere in ad. For it to indicate each tank, it either needs to say each or list the quantity twice. You don't know whether the tanks are the same size or not. So definitely not a stupid question, just a stupid ad...lol

With the boats I looked at, mostly CHB's or similar, it mostly meant 2 tanks, fuel amount in each. But it helps if you know a little about the particular boats you are looking at, as in the CHB's, its known they had two tanks of about 150 gals each for 300 total. Though quite a few have been re-tanked and then all bets are off.

Sadly when advertising folks are locked into a mindset from 50 years ago with print adds.

Remember cars with AC,PS, PB,AT and similar compressed house adds?

There is NO word charge for an electric add , so each , or total can be included .

Sadly when advertising folks are locked into a mindset from 50 years ago with print adds.

Remember cars with AC,PS, PB,AT and similar compressed house adds?

There is NO word charge for an electric add , so each , or total can be included .

Actually newspapers still charge the same way on their digital editions and you see ads there and in print that are decipherable. And the worse are not the cars and houses where we are familiar somewhat with the abbreviations. Look at the job listings sometime.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom