SaymOldStoree!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowGypsy

Vessel Name
Chickadee
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
Seems to be a bit of a tired old cliche by now, don't you think? ...... "Old sailor finally accepts reality, and moves to a trawler"
I have been sailing most of my life, and have always actually agreed with the maxim "slower is better" (I know, there are exceptions, of course!) Now, as I am forced to accept the realities of the aging process, I have decided that warm and dry is also better!
So, like many others before me, I am now looking for that "perfect" trawler. Problem is, I tend to favour boats that are a little different from most boats I see on the water today. I like older designs - boats with real old world character. I like a lot of Jay Benford's designs, like the 35' Trawler complete with Portuguese bridge, or the 35' Paquette. (I just posted these in the "dreamboat" thread)
If anybody has insight as to how to get one of these, I would sure appreciate feedback!
I really do not want a flybridge, and, on this forum, that probably makes me at least an oddball, if not an outcast! (Been a sailor for a long time - why would I want another boat that exposes me to the elements all the time?) Anyway, that is just a personal bias of mine.

Looking forward to getting lots of advice and other input on my search for a new vessel. It is going to be hard to part with my beloved old schooner, which I have been sailing solo for thirty years!

Welcome to the Dark Side!
WRT the fly bridge, it is nice to have when the weather allows, and the heated pilot house works very well on those not so nice days.
Best of luck in your search.

I really do not want a flybridge, and, on this forum, that probably makes me at least an oddball, if not an outcast! (Been a sailor for a long time - why would I want another boat that exposes me to the elements all the time?) Anyway, that is just a personal bias of mine.

Welcome to the minority. You're not alone. There are a number of us Slow, No fly bridge, single screw types here.

Ted

Hi Slow,

I have just gone through the same transition. Going into the process I had a list of things I wanted and didn't want. I also had a budget. I wanted newer as opposed to older. I didn't want a fly bridge. I wanted walk around decks. My wife wanted something "cute", two heads, two cabins, and plenty of room in the saloon for hanging out with family. We both wanted a pilothouse.

Neither one of us got everything we wanted. We did end up with a fly bridge. So far in the 1 1/2 months that we have owned the boat, we have used the fly bridge twice. It was nice those two times. We don't have walk around decks. While I miss those coming from a sailboat, I find that they really aren't necessary. We only have one head but have two cabins and have lots of room in the saloon for family time. The boat is not "cute", but my wife is coming to terms with that.

The point is to go into it with an open mind. Nothing wrong with having preferences and ideas, but recognize that our experience on sailboats only partially helps us make a selection on a power boat. If I had completely written off fly bridges and stuck with walk around decks I wouldn't have the wonderful boat that I have now.

Slow G:

I noticed in your comment in the dream boat thread that you are not finding any listings for a Jay R. Benford designed boat. If you haven't already thought of it or already done so, you might try contacting the designer direct and asking him if he knows of any of his designs that may be for sale. Benford Design Group

I also read that you like the more "salty" designs and with that being the case, have you looked into George Buehler's Diesel Ducks? There are a few currently on the market that just may strike your fancy.

Last edited:
after decades sailing we too started with the idea a boat had to look a certain way. After looking at lots of boats we began to realize that form indeed does follow function and what looked familiar to a sailor may not be the best in a power boat.

fortunately we looked enough to skip over the buy then sell again soon process used my many former sailors buying the wrong boat only to learn that they wanted something different.

Power boats are indeed different than sail boats and have many advantages if you get one designed to not be a sailboat look alike.

Welcome to TF . I'm one of the ones that also likes something a little different almost to the the point at looking at another sailboat , but I think I know better than to do that . Those Jay Benfords ar nice designs . I like the Jenson 35 Strumpet as well .

How about a Benford 38 Fantail ?

Mine is not for sale :)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 188
Thanks, DD!
Yes, I do admire the Diesel Duck line, and I am told I would be impressed with the build quality and seaworthiness. I have seen a few for sale, but mostly out of my price range.
I will be reaching out to Jay Benford.

How about a Benford 38 Fantail ?

Mine is not for sale :)

Now, Wallace! That is not a very welcoming attitude to a nooby! :whistling: Besides, although I do like the lines of your Fantail, I would rather wait until you have finished your wonderful restoration project! Then I could take her off your hands, and you could move on to another project. .......... sound fair to you?

All joking aside, Mr. Benford certainly produced some nice designs!

Thanks, Portage Bay - I fell in love with the Strumpet when I first started looking at trawlers and tugs a couple of years ago. I think it would suit our needs very well (me and my puppy)
If I could find one not quite so old, and not made of wood, I would be seriously interested.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE wooden boats! (But, once they reach a certain age, I don't love working on them")
Did they ever make one in heavy fiberglass, steel or aluminium?

Strumpet is not exactly the Benford design you're longing for. But she's a salty looking Benford....

1972 Jensen Custom Trawler Yacht 35'

I don't know that boat personally but I did once work on Gann's boat the Sea Puss in Seattle many years ago as a fledgling shipwright, late 70's I think. If I remember I was mounting a swing out davit for the old dog they had that could barely get around. I do remember that Gann was a very cordial fellow. Sea Puss was a neat boat with a Gardner diesel.

Thanks, DD!
Yes, I do admire the Diesel Duck line, and I am told I would be impressed with the build quality and seaworthiness. I have seen a few for sale, but mostly out of my price range.
I will be reaching out to Jay Benford.

These might well be out of your price range, but the Florida Bay Coaster range look very much like the sort of design you are after, having seen your post over on the other thread re dream boats. There are models around the 35 ft mark. I've been over one about that size and was very impressed.
I was also a yachtie, as we call sail boaters here in Oz, and I can tell you, these power cruisers are a cinch to pilot compared to a yacht, any day. You won't regret the move.

Benford Design Group

Last edited:
Here is a newer woodie with a bunch of character . 37' William Garden Kentore. They also just lowered price.thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 376
WOW! You guys are amazing! I should not have been surprised at how helpful the members of this forum are, since I have been lurking here for a while before joining. With all the positive input, how can I NOT find my next boat?!
Peter B: Those Florida Bay Coasters sure pack a lot of living space in their length! Despite ample evidence to the contrary, they LOOK to be a bit top-heavy. Yes, I have read Jay Benford's answer to that suggestion, but they still appear to have a LOT of boat above the waterline, compared to the amount below the waterline. Even if they are stable, that is a lot of windage. (But they do pull at my heartstrings!)
I see the 35' Paquette and the trawler to be slightly more moderate versions of the Coaster design. Less living accommodations below, but also less windage, not as chubby, and more economical to operate.
Thank you all, and keep the ideas coming!

Pack Mule, I LOVE that vessel! - and, it is designed by Bill Garden!
Too bad he recently shipped the boat from the east coast to the west coast. Even the east coast from Florida to Maine is difficult enough for me to get to.
Looking at all the pictures of Kintore, reading between the lines, and being honest with myself instead of letting my heart rule, it is probably more maintenance than I am willing or able to take on at this stage of my life. (70)
............. But, thank you for teasing me!

Back
Top Bottom