Yellow is a good color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most Deere Industrial Line equipment Loaders, Graders, Dozers, forestry etc is yellow

Attachments

• Deere Loader.jpg
    Deere Loader.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 73
Larry wrote: "Yellow? "Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

Been waiting for the Frank Zappa reference! Now with a nod to the Beatles' Yellow Submarine we should be about done . . . or maybe not.

Most boats will not be easily spotted from the air in angry seas. Painting part, or all of your boat yellow, safety red or a similar color will increase your chances of being spotted dramatically. Unless you never plan on needed "a ride outahere" of course.

Most boats will not be easily spotted from the air in angry seas. Painting part, or all of your boat yellow, safety red or a similar color will increase your chances of being spotted dramatically. Unless you never plan on needed "a ride outahere" of course.

We had a trysail made for our sailboat that was "storm orange" in color. The boat had a white hull and in storm conditions, with breaking waves, we wanted as much visibility as we could get and white wasn't it.

Several years ago I came across an account of a motor yachtsman who had converted a commercial fishing vessel for long term living aboard and offshore passage-making. He spent a few years cruising in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Something on his list of "lessons learned" that stuck with me was his decision to paint the roof of his deckhouse orange, I think either International or Safety Orange, to increase the likelihood that an SAR aircrew might spot him in a jam. His point: even a sixty-five foot yacht can be hard to pick out from the air among heaving swells and breaking seas. Reduced visibility increases the challenge.

Last edited:
Speaking of painting roofs. Long ago, the Executive VP who controlled all advertising, decided he was going to have all our trucks painted and have our name and logo on them. But he also decided to do the roofs. One day there was a trailer stolen in Alabama. The local law enforcement had no idea where they took it. We happened to have out company plane in Atlanta, so while we did business, our pilots went on a hunting expedition. Not too long after they called the local police and directed them to an area deep in the woods down a long winding dirt road. Needless to say the thieves were very surprised when law enforcement showed up.

We have nothing that would stand out on any of our boats in a search. Intentionally, they are just like any other of their type and don't stand out. That would be pretty lousy in a search. Hadn't thought about it until this thread. Now we do have a lot of security to prevent theft and to track the boat.

For visibility you can't beat the yellow-green safety color. Would be a great color for the roof of a boat. Highly visible to aircraft and big ships that might be looking down on us.

Find my Coot.

Yellow is good.
Both my boats.

Attachments

• DSCF0879 copy.jpg
    DSCF0879 copy.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 016_16 copy 4.jpg
    016_16 copy 4.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
We have a big flat roof . If we ever get out to the " Big Water " I would consider painting our roof yellow . Yellow is good .

Back
Top Bottom