Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: gps/chartplotter

Quote:
timjet wrote:

I recently tried the computer based nav program called Open CPN with a cheap puck GPS on my net book. It worked great as long as I was inside. Since I don't have a inside steering station, it's pretty much useless unless it's cloudy. But it's a great and cheap backup and good for planning.

John B, you'll love not lugging your brain bag. USAir went to aircraft based brain bags about 2 years ago. Cheaper than computer based and if it can be done cheaper, USAir will do it. The FAA awarded some money to USAir to test a EFB which they installed on about 20 Airbus'. The 10" screen is hard wired into the AC system and will display current position on the airport pages in addition to all the other approach plates. I guess it gets it's position data from the Aircraft GPS. The FAA is on a big push to reduce runway incursions and they are using USAir and these EFB to see if giving the pilot a pictorial view of the aircraft position helps reduce ground incursions. It automatically updates the charts through the internet via some sort of card and I think security issues have prevented the FAA from turning them on. So for about a year we've had these EFB's which have been totally useless.
Tim, we likely have the same exact ones in about 40 of our 757s. *It was a good idea...just poorly executed(hmmm...dunno how that oculda happened with the FAA involved). *What happened with us(and likely y'all) was that the device was supposed to update via wifi at the hubs. *Well, we went cheap and didn't buy the provided Jepp based revision system...we went with a cheaper alternative and it was not suffered compatibility issues......anyway......

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote