Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Where do you get that from?

I run my personal boat the same way I run Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463454091.611759.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	52076
Oh, I don't know. Maybe 35 years working on commercial vessels in harbors from Galveston Tx to Searsport Me. Including the St Johns R. Excepting Charleston SC. Haven't been there. Yet.

Listen to channel 13 (or sometimes 67) around any busy port. Then again listen in the fog.

Securite is used to state General vessel intentions. As it relates to other traffic, possible conflicts and visibility, current or other local anomalies. It really is predicated upon harbor size, volume of traffic and natural phenomena. Fog being probably top of the list.

As in: Securite, Tug Pusher 1 down bound Jaxport, Outbound for sea. Loaded barge ahead. Standing by for concerned traffic.

Or: Securite, Yacht Penelope inbound Verrazano Narrows. Bound for upper bay and Hudson River.

Now, Would I expect a yacht to make a call on a sunny day? No. But in fog or rain, sure. Helps the crossing, conflicting traffic know two things. The first that whoever it is on the 'Penelope', they are competent enough to be standing guard on the radio. And that they took the time to make you aware of them, thus bringing their presence into
Your (and anyone of 30 or 40 other maneuvering units listening) decision making process as you cross the harbor. Also, by listening to the radio for securite calls one gets to know the tempo' and choke points. The more constricted an area the more calls are made around the constriction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463454193.610911.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	52077btw, this is what it looks like from the other perspective.
I mention channel 13. As it's the primary bridge to bridge navigation channel used. Yachts (well the ones who know) use it too.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote