First day of boat ownership....disaster! Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Star(s)
First welcome to boating & TF

Above Similar to my initial thoughts? - lots of info in prior posts re: different engine / batt'y configurations w/ +/- - realize no one best way will depend on how you use it.

Are we having "fun" yet???
Next step is to post some pics of the ship

Dave - I see you avatar is "afloat" again - looks better in the water

This is the ad on YW for the boat with bunches of pictures...
I really fell in love with all the wood on the interior.
The outside needs some (mostly) cosmetic work and a few fiberglass repairs. There's some peeling paint in a few places. There's mismatched paint. And of course, being a woman, those things bother me...but then I just keep remembering she's an OLD boat. Lol
We got a quote from a guy on a whole new topside paint job. He said it's like $250/ft. I have no idea if that's reasonable or not, but I'm thinking we're going to learn how to do that ourselves. That's way too much money.

1982 Bluewater Coastal Cruiser HOUSEBOAT Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I am guessing the double batteries on both engines and genset are basically insurance. The manual only references one battery per engine and in the original factory configuration the 12v system was split between those two batteries with port battery running port 12v stuff and starboard running starboard 12v stuff and both bilge pumps coming from the port battery. There is a box in the forward closet/mid bilge with three switches labeled port, bilge pumps, and starboard. I asked the PO about that box and switches and he said "no clue. Don't know what those are. I've never touched them". Well, those are the master circuit switches for the three segregated 12v circuits as originally wired lol. I need to check the re-wired system of all 12v on port side to see if they atill use all three switches.

Anyway, in answer to original post, yes a single battery per engine would be adequate for starting. Same with gen. Using two is like wearing a belt AND suspenders I guess. My uncle has the same two battery set up for his single engine trawl boat.

Stars^2: Thank you for taking the time to write on this forum in general, and this thread in particular. You are about 2 years in front of us, but we're on the same path as you. I look forward to both of your postings.

With regards to the Bluewater, that is a boat that I have been "on-again" and "off-again" as to making the short list of boats. I'll be especially interested to hear about your boating experiences with it. We live in Ft. Myers, FL and will be mostly staying in FL waters, and making an occasional run over to the Bahamas, but I've heard "horror stories" about the Bluewater boats not being capable of doing that. I know that weather conditions are everything, so I'm not discounting the Bluewater, just would like to hear your experiences as you go forward.

I really love the layout of the Bluewater Yachts, particularly the roominess.

We're mostly going to be tooling around here on our River and in the lake. Later, once we're more comfortable we want to go down the coastline to MS and AL and maybe over to FL panhandle. We don't have any intention of ever trying to take it out in open water.
We've heard some horror stories too but we've also heard the opposite. I think for how we intend to use it, it will be just fine for us.
I just posted a link to the ad for the boat that has a bunch of pictures. We like the layout and the roominess too.
We didn't know much about different type of boats and whatnot but we knew some of the things we wanted. We wanted a cockpit...we did not want an aft cabin. We wanted a lot of deck space for entertaining, we wanted a flybridge with a place for me to relax while he's driving the boat. This boat ticked most of our boxes. Plus when I saw the interior, I just fell in love. :)

Stars'. Good luck with the new girl. I was contemplating a blue water 42 myself until available mooring length removed them from consideration.

Where do you call home? What year is she? I found some interesting info about them. Too bad they stopped production. 2008 was a bad year.

What kind of interesting info?

This is the ad on YW for the boat with bunches of pictures...
]

Wifey B: We had already found it there and think it's a greeaaaaaaaaaaaaat boat. It's unusual but little draft, little air draft, tons of space. Just a cool boat and when you two get through with it, will be a mah'velous boat. :)

Star people: you cracked me up!

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

:)

Welcome aboard!

-Chris

There are two port engine batteries, two starboard engine batteries, and two generator batteries. The port batteries also supply all the 12v systems including bilge pumps. The existing batteries were one starting batter and one deep cycle. Mismatched cranking amps and amp hour ratings. I replaced those with two deep cycle 800 cranking amps and 200 amp hours batteries.

The reconfigure plan is to move the 12v supply to the generator battery bank and beef it up with 3 high amp hour deep cycle batteries.

StarsMan, I am new to the powerboat realm and know nothing about twins but I wonder at why you have two batteries for each engine and genset? Is this common with this boat?

I would assume a single good starting battery for each engine and the Genset would work well. Then a separate house bank for all your electrical needs.

I am guessing the double batteries on both engines and genset are basically insurance. The manual only references one battery per engine and in the original factory configuration the 12v system was split between those two batteries with port battery running port 12v stuff and starboard running starboard 12v stuff and both bilge pumps coming from the port battery.

Anyway, in answer to original post, yes a single battery per engine would be adequate for starting. Same with gen. Using two is like wearing a belt AND suspenders I guess. My uncle has the same two battery set up for his single engine trawl boat.

Our boat -- and most (maybe all) built by the various companies in the same manufacturing group -- are usually configured with two "large" battery banks, plus a genset starter battery if a genset is installed.

Each of the two large banks does triple duty: starts an engine, runs about half of the DC house, and then also services one of the bridge functions (electrics, on one, the electronics suite on the other).

There's also a parallel switch, so either large bank can augment the other to start an engine should that be necessary. And then there's the genset/charger option, if it comes to that.

I wouldn't have thought to do it this way for a cruising boat, given potential for days at anchor... but IMO it has turned out to be a relatively simple, relatively efficient design/implementation. I suspect it was probably influenced buy the manufacturer's expectation that a major percentage of these boats would be used more for marina-hopping than for long periods of cruising and at anchor. Still, it's turned out to be reasonably manageable.

Ours started life with at least two "dual purpose" Group 27s (or maybe 29s) on each large bank, and I think the genset battery was a G27, too. (I'm a little unclear on thae two larger banks because the original owner either replaced one battery in -- or maybe added a battery to -- each of those banks, so when we got it, each bank was kind of mis-matched.) I replaced all those with 3x G31s for the large banks and a single G34 for the genset starter.

That has turned out to be quite sufficient... although my next step, whenever I have to replace our (now 10-year-old) starboard bank -- the one that runs all our electronics while I'm trolling on the port engine -- is probably to replace the G31s with 4x 6V golf cart batteries. That would still be in spec with engine starting requirements... fit in approx. the same physical space... and at the same time would increase Ah on that bank from a nominal 300 to a nominal 440 or so.

-Chris

Chris,
The way you describe it is how the OEM had configured it. Only difference is a single battery at each engine instead of a "large" bank. PO apparently revised the shared house duties into the single port side bank feed. Batteries in both banks also mismatched so that is an easy fix but I will hold off on Starboard and generator set until I decide how/if I will redo the house bank config.

I am considered using the golf cart battery arrangement you mention above as they do provide better Ah rating. Since I won't mess with that until the next haul out, I have several months to plan it up and do some more research.

In William F Buckley's book "Airborne", he describes his first one mile excursion on his newly refurbished wooden ketch "Cyrano" complete with engine problems, new wiring wrapping around the shaft and several outboard motors falling into the water. I think there was a fire in the rigging. Upon finally getting to their destination someone asked Mrs. Buckley how the voyage went? "This was one of our most peaceful sails" was her reply.

I didn't click the link so don't know what engines you have. Many engines require a certain amount of cranking amps. I think mine require 750. I would not be comfortable with just a hair above the minimum required(800 in your case). Hence the two batteries for each engine...not unreasonable at all.

It's not too late to hire your own surveyor, get references from other boaters in the area on the best one(s) for your type of boat and engines. Then they can walk you through all the projects and help you prioritize them so you don't learn as many at inconvenient times.

What a beautiful boat! So much room, and she looks well cared for. Congratulations and enjoy! Please keep us posted with your progress .

Cheers, Bill

In South Louisiana when using the boat in the summer which is most of the year, you will be running the gen for AC, so a large 12 volt bank is not needed.

Fun thread and I am enjoying reading it. Looking at the YW post, it appears to be a very nice boat and a great deal.

I'm not convinced that this is the best idea!

5639274_20160215124749185_1_XLARGE.jpg

Something gets broken all the time. My boat is never 100 percent. Life seemed so much simpler when boats had (almost) no systems. Like, I've got a leaking fresh-water line, a water-leak-dripping from the engine, an "off-and-on-working" inverter. Will hopefully get fixed by the end of June before the next set of failures. And that's not counting a current spider invasion.

Which part?

I would think the free standing chair. Now if you stand all the time underway, not a problem, and it appears at that helm with that chair, you would be standing.

I would want something that is fastened into position and firmly in place.

In my protected waters of the San Francisco estuary, such a chair would be readily toppeled.

Yes, the chair. While I can't see the base I assume because there is not a pedestal that it is free standing. Given your hull configuration and weight you will be waked, sometimes seriously waked. Getting dumped off that chair can result in an injury never mind loss of helm control.

I have seen those type chairs turnbuckled to fittings on the deck. Works okay then I suppose. Not my idea of a good helm chair though.

B's suggestion back on P 1 of this thread to find someone to go over the entire boat with you is a very good one. When we first got the boat, I had not been on a boat in about 15 years. I hired a guy from the local JD dealer to spend a weekend going over the entire propulsion and generator system with me. I knew the owners at Townsend Bay Marine and knew the quality of their work well. I flew their best systems guy and his wife down from Port Townsend on Kenmore Air and put them up for a Seattle weekend. He spent 2+ days with me going over every inch of the boat and every system on the boat in detail. I got about 59 pages of notes and about 200 photos. I still refer to those now, 5 years later. It all cost me about $1,600 and was worth every penny. You have a hell of an advantage if you start out knowing what almost everything does and how it is supposed to do it.

Wifey B: Actually you need two good helm chairs. :)

Don't get me started. There is only one helm chair on Sonas. During the three day trip up from Stuart the missus had to sit on the fly bridge seating, where she couldn't see where we were going.

We have a nine-day long trip to St Simon's and Hilton Head coming up and she has asked for her matching chair at the helm.

Of course it's a Stidd. :peace:

Don't get me started. There is only one helm chair on Sonas. During the three day trip up from Stuart the missus had to sit on the fly bridge seating, where she couldn't see where we were going.

We have a nine-day long trip to St Simon's and Hilton Head coming up and she has asked for her matching chair at the helm.

Of course it's a Stidd. :peace:

When you're cruising part of the joy is sharing the view, sharing the experience, talking about things you see. Plus having a watch is good too, not the kind talked about in the other thread.

When you're cruising part of the joy is sharing the view, sharing the experience, talking about things you see. Plus having a watch is good too, not the kind talked about in the other thread.

Yep, and we had two on our last boat.

But a Stidd?

$5.8K just to buy it never mind the install! :banghead:

Yep, and we had two on our last boat.

But a Stidd?

$5.8K just to buy it never mind the install! :banghead:

Just think...it is not as much as a Rolex and it has a very good purpose!!!...;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom