View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #65
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
so...

I actually took the time to read up on Marine Co detectors, vs Home Co detectors, and allot of what has been presented in this thread is not based on fact. I want to use a stronger word for it, but I'll just stick with its not factual.

What I learned was taken directly from the Kidde (representing home) and the fireboy-xinex (representing marine) web sites.

The basic difference between the detection of CO in a marine unit and a home unt is that the marine unit uses a algorythm to prevent false alarms. It is NOT to detect lower levels of CO (as has been misrepresented in this thread), it is to filter the higher levels of CO that can occure on a boat during operations such as docking, and prevent the unit from alarming during these short duration high CO exposures.

There are some other things that a marine unit does have that a home unit does not have though. One is a resistance to light spray, and another is a generator shutdown contact (not available on all units).

This information is easily available, and I implor anybody with curosity to actually go to the web sites and read the technical specifications, and other documents available. When doing so, make sure you are comparing apples to apples because PPM is not the same as COHb so when you see a lower number, just remember that they are not the same.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote