First day of boat ownership....disaster! Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Ok, not really....but it sure seemed like it to me from my newbie woman's perspective....lol

We closed on the boat Saturday morning and headed over to the boat with a carload of stuff. We walk on the boat and I said, hmmm it's a bit warm in here. So I turned the AC's up. We get everything unloaded and I start unpacking stuff. We play around for a while and then leave to go grab some lunch and when we get back its warmer in the boat than it was when we had first arrived. Hubby starts investigating and finds the coils in the back AC unit are frozen. Well that's just great. Turn it completely off. Hubby finds the filters and strainer baskets for both units and takes them off and they're nasty...like really nasty. So he cleans them real good. AC's are working a bit better...but first on the priority list is calling someone to come service the AC's and check freon.

So a little while later the lights start flickering. Ok what's the deal with that? About that time, some relatives stopped by to see the boat. Someone uses the bathroom and says the toilet won't flush. Hmmm ok what's up with that?
So relatives leave and we can get back to tinkering. Now none of the lights in the boat work and there's no water from the faucets and the toilet doesn't work.
Hubby goes to crank up the engines and only one will start. What's up with THAT?

About this time I start thinking what the hell did we do? There is no way I'm staying on this boat, it's hot and nothing works! We should have named her green acres!

Hubby talks to PO who is baffled. He has no clue why this is happening. Boat neighbor comes over and he's looking at stuff with hubby and they're trying this and that. Hell, at this point I just fixed a drink and went sit up with the neighbors under the tree.

We're connected to shore power so batteries should be charging. The thingy says they're charging. But apparently they are not. By now it's dark so you can't see anything inside or in the engine room because none of the lights work except one little table lamp I have. To use the bathroom or have running water hubby has to flip the switch that switches to the other batteries. Total pita.

At least it's cooling off in the boat now and after a few drinks I said ok we can stay on the boat.
Hubby wakes up super early and as soon as we have daylight he goes down in the engine room to check out the batteries and pulls the two out on the side that doesn't work. They're dead dead. First money spent is on two new matched batteries. Get those put in and all is right in the world again.

We took her out for our maiden voyage yesterday...just went up the river a bit and back but it ran great. Pretty sure we're gonna need some new props though.

Oh and there's a guy here from the Carribean restoring a boat for someone and he's going to redo our cockpit hatches to the engine room for us and a couple of other minor repairs where the PO had removed a ramp he had screwed in on the side leaving holes in the boat. These are things hubby is quite capable of doing himself but just doesn't have the time right now and felt they needed to be addressed pretty quickly.

Now mind you hubby wasn't concerned with any of this stuff...he knew it was just a matter of learning the systems and tracking down the problem. I, on the other hand, just thought we were doomed. Lol

Oh...and the brand new dinghy apparently has a leak and the motor won't start. Fun times!

Interesting first weekend on the boat. We're having a ball. Now back to reality for a few days before we see what else we need to spend money on...hahaha.

Last edited:
Now you are real boaters! :D

Holy Crap....:eek:

LOL

I joined up to learn about boating and living on a boat (ALL THE FUN STUFF) when I retire and you are posting this....OMG!

:peace:

Imnvegas; said:
Holy Crap....I joined up to learn about boating and living on a boat when I retire and you are posting this....OMG!
This is the part I like...
Star0210; said:
Hubby talks to PO who is baffled. He has no clue why this is happening.

I'm thinking you decided to save money by not hiring a surveyor.

You will eventually come to understand that things on a boat break or wear out. The older the boat, the more often this happens.

assuming everthing worked during the survey figuring out the boat system operation takes time. A few days spent living on the boat without going anywhere would be a good way to learn the house systems.

There are a whole bunch of other systems to learn when the boat is moving. It can all be very complicated at first but soon will be sorted out.

Have fun!

This is the part I like...

He really was baffled....he's not very mechanically inclined. Whenever he had an issue, he called someone.
He and his wife lived on the boat full time until Friday night when he moved it over to our slip. The batteries were working for him. Not sure why they decided to totally die from one day to the next but they did.

He wasn't surprised about the AC freezing up, he had told us that happened occasionally so we really weren't too surprised at that. The front unit is relatively brand new..but the back one is old. We're hoping we can drag a little more life out of it before replacing it though.

Star, as others have already pointed out, boating in many ways is simply a journey from one repair to another. I had my new boat surveyed and inspected but the first time I went to use the Genset it wouldn't start. Dead, dead battery. Must have had just enough life in it to start at the survey. As you get to know the systems, you will spend more time enjoying than fixing. Your husband may be like me and finds some enjoying in the fixing, so it is a win-win.

I'm thinking you decided to save money by not hiring a surveyor.

You will eventually come to understand that things on a boat break or wear out. The older the boat, the more often this happens.

Nah...it wasn't about saving money. It was that we were satisfied between what the survey they already had said and what my hubby could see himself. It's not a 1/4 million boat. It's an old boat, and we knew what we were buying. I wouldn't call it a total project boat, but maybe a semi project boat.

assuming everthing worked during the survey figuring out the boat system operation takes time. A few days spent living on the boat without going anywhere would be a good way to learn the house systems.

There are a whole bunch of other systems to learn when the boat is moving. It can all be very complicated at first but soon will be sorted out.

Have fun!

Oh yes, lots of learning. And being it's an old boat, we've got old switches and new switches and some switches that don't work or do anything at all. I think hubby's got most of that figured out.

Now we have to sit down and make our project list and try to prioritize it.

Star, as others have already pointed out, boating in many ways is simply a journey from one repair to another. I had my new boat surveyed and inspected but the first time I went to use the Genset it wouldn't start. Dead, dead battery. Must have had just enough life in it to start at the survey. As you get to know the systems, you will spend more time enjoying than fixing. Your husband may be like me and finds some enjoying in the fixing, so it is a win-win.

Yes he definitely finds enjoyment in the troubleshooting and fixing!

I'm sure he'll get on here and explain how the batteries are configured. He has an idea to change some stuff up, and maybe you guys can give him an opinion as to whether that's a smart thing to do or not.

Nah...it wasn't about saving money. It was that we were satisfied between what the survey they already had said and what my hubby could see himself. It's not a 1/4 million boat. It's an old boat, and we knew what we were buying. I wouldn't call it a total project boat, but maybe a semi project boat.

Well, if not hiring a surveyor was a mistake (which I think it was), it's done so doesn't matter now. The question is what now.

Hubby can eventually probably figure everything out, but if you want to short cut the process, I would hire someone knowledgeable and with experience to do a walk through "survey" with you just talking about all the systems, checking them, telling what are likely problems and how to investigate in the future. This could be a surveyor without a formal survey or a captain or a good mechanic or even the PO or someone who owns a boat like yours.

It's a way to jump start the process. Also, I'd be sure to have manuals for all equipment. If they aren't there, get them online or from the manufacturer.

Why all the things you mentioned? I suspect when the PO decided to sell, he also decided not to spend additional money. That's why he didn't get an AC guy out, probably why he didn't replace the batteries (Chargers are also very often a problem). I'm not talking negatively about the PO, just that's typicall how it is.

I think you somewhat over dramatized the whole ordeal. Lol

Once I was satisfied that it wasn't a charger issue I knew it was simply dead batteries. Simple fix once daylight came. Silly girl. :socool:

Yes he definitely finds enjoyment in the troubleshooting and fixing!

I'm sure he'll get on here and explain how the batteries are configured. He has an idea to change some stuff up, and maybe you guys can give him an opinion as to whether that's a smart thing to do or not.

Do not...repeat....do not "change some stuff" up at this time. Learn all about it as it is, see how things work, gain experience with it, then you can talk about changing stuff work. If you change up first, you might be making a mistake and if there are problems, you won't know if they were previous issues or a result of what you did.

It's like electronics. You'll probably want to upgrade. However, run the boat with what it's got and you may well find you like it. Other than our RIB, I'd never used Garmin before the boat we're on right now. I started convinced that at some point I'd switch it out. However, I won't now. I am quite pleased with it. So, it's different than our other boats. It's just not a big deal. And, actually, a bit fortunate, as some of the most recent models of our first choice are giving new buyers some problems.

Once I was satisfied that it wasn't a charger issue I knew it was simply dead batteries. Simple fix once daylight came. Silly girl. :socool:

I'm a woman...your woman at that! It's my prerogative to be dramatic! :angel:

there is nothing like marital harmony!!!:nonono:

Wifey B: My AC not working and that's time for some drama....lol. Except where I am right now, no need for AC, a lot of need for heat. It's actually sunny now and the temp up to 56 degrees. :)

Probably one over dramatizing and one understating so it ends up just right.:rofl:

So to her other point:
There are two port engine batteries, two starboard engine batteries, and two generator batteries. The port batteries also supply all the 12v systems including bilge pumps. The existing batteries were one starting batter and one deep cycle. Mismatched cranking amps and amp hour ratings. I replaced those with two deep cycle 800 cranking amps and 200 amp hours batteries.

The reconfigure plan is to move the 12v supply to the generator battery bank and beef it up with 3 high amp hour deep cycle batteries.

That keeps the engine batteries dedicated to the engines. I can get home without a generator. But not with out engines.

All three battery banks are maintained charged via a Xantrex true charge 2 system. ;)

Wifey B: My AC not working and that's time for some drama....lol. Except where I am right now, no need for AC, a lot of need for heat. It's actually sunny now and the temp up to 56 degrees. :)

Probably one over dramatizing and one understating so it ends up just right.:rofl:

It was approaching 90 degrees on Saturday...full sunshine. But a little front came through and brought much lower humidity and it was actually chilly that night. I was wishing I had thought to grab a sweatshirt from the house.

Where are you guys with those kind of temps in May?

No changes are gonna happen immediately. We are going to use the heck out our "Sanctuary Of Sanity" and have a blast till winter.

Then we will plan the haul out and mod plan including possible home bank change on batteries, new thru hull for dedicated water pumps for ac so that they don't have to share, new thru hull for wash down pump, wash down pump and plumbing to give connections at cockpit. AC filter box mods. Update non-critical gauges that currently don't work such as fresh water tank level. And consider miscellaneous fiberglass repairs and whole boat re-paint.

Critical gauges like starboard engine oil pressure are getting changed now.

Last edited:
As to a walk through, that's what I have been doing for the past two days. I have walked through each and every system onboard with an experienced boat owner helping me. I have traced the sewer system and verified each part. I have traced the fresh water system and verified each part. I have traced the ac systems from compressor to condener and through all the vents. I have walked through each circuit on the 110 system and on the 12v system. I have checked all of the 12v equipment and operating switches and have a list of the non-working ones to start troubleshooting such as the horn. No horn switch on the fly ridge currently for example. And I have crawled all over the engine room.

I have read through all the manuals and the maintenance and repair records which the PO kept very detailed. He even had the OEM owners manual from Bluewater which provided some nice options for fuel tank configurations.

I even traced out the plumbing he did for the central vacuum system.

I am LOVING IT!!!

Never suggest to a wife that she is over dramatizing issues that relate to the reliable functioning of a head. :whistling:

StarsMan, I am new to the powerboat realm and know nothing about twins but I wonder at why you have two batteries for each engine and genset? Is this common with this boat?

I would assume a single good starting battery for each engine and the Genset would work well. Then a separate house bank for all your electrical needs.

As to a walk through, that's what I have been doing for the past two days. I have walked through each and every system onboard with an experienced boat owner helping me. I have traced the sewer system and verified each part. I have traced the fresh water system and verified each part. I have traced the ac systems from compressor to condener and through all the vents. I have walked through each circuit on the 110 system and on the 12v system. I have checked all of the 12v equipment and operating switches and have a list of the non-working ones to start troubleshooting such as the horn. No horn switch on the fly ridge currently for example. And I have crawled all over the engine room.

I have read through all the manuals and the maintenance and repair records which the PO kept very detailed. He even had the OEM owners manual from Bluewater which provided some nice options for fuel tank configurations.

I even traced out the plumbing he did for the central vacuum system.

I am LOVING IT!!!

Yeah well...I made the bed and arranged pretty throw pillows. And I unpacked the dishes and most importantly the wine glasses. :D:whistling::hide:

Stars^2: Thank you for taking the time to write on this forum in general, and this thread in particular. You are about 2 years in front of us, but we're on the same path as you. I look forward to both of your postings.

With regards to the Bluewater, that is a boat that I have been "on-again" and "off-again" as to making the short list of boats. I'll be especially interested to hear about your boating experiences with it. We live in Ft. Myers, FL and will be mostly staying in FL waters, and making an occasional run over to the Bahamas, but I've heard "horror stories" about the Bluewater boats not being capable of doing that. I know that weather conditions are everything, so I'm not discounting the Bluewater, just would like to hear your experiences as you go forward.

I really love the layout of the Bluewater Yachts, particularly the roominess.

Stars'. Good luck with the new girl. I was contemplating a blue water 42 myself until available mooring length removed them from consideration.

Where do you call home? What year is she? I found some interesting info about them. Too bad they stopped production. 2008 was a bad year.

StarsMan, I am new to the powerboat realm and know nothing about twins but I wonder at why you have two batteries for each engine and genset? Is this common with this boat?

I would assume a single good starting battery for each engine and the Genset would work well. Then a separate house bank for all your electrical needs.

Star(s)
First welcome to boating & TF

Above Similar to my initial thoughts? - lots of info in prior posts re: different engine / batt'y configurations w/ +/- - realize no one best way will depend on how you use it.

Are we having "fun" yet???
Next step is to post some pics of the ship

Dave - I see you avatar is "afloat" again - looks better in the water

Stars'. Good luck with the new girl. I was contemplating a blue water 42 myself until available mooring length removed them from consideration.

Where do you call home? What year is she? I found some interesting info about them. Too bad they stopped production. 2008 was a bad year.

We're in Madisonville, LA.
She's a 1982 47 coastal cruiser. They only made this particular style for 3 yrs from what we understand. We were pleased to see the PO had the original owners manual. I haven't looked at it yet but hubby says it's neat.

Back
Top Bottom