North East Florida - What a Great Place To Live!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice report! I think that area offers a very good combo of weather, cruising and docking alternatives. The St. Johns River is on our list of cruising musts.

Nice.
You sure are enjoying that new boat.
In the first photo, with the sheriff, what are the shiny objects along the shore? Erosion protection?

They are removing a large stone jetty and removing a corner of the St John's so that they can widen/deepen the river and remove currents in that area. This is so that Jacksonville can receive the larger ships coming through the new Panama Canal.

The sand and debris is being moved to the creek area behind that barrier. The barrier to to stop it being washed back into the river until it is established. See photos below, you can see the sand being deposited in the second photo.

We saw Saturday that they have dredged and marked a channel back in there for the barges to take in the sand. There was a 40 something boat going up in there so we wondering if it will remain a channel and perhaps a nice close-by anchorage and beach.

Attachments

• P1017143.JPG
    P1017143.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 58
  • P1017195.jpg
    P1017195.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 73
Larry try to schedule your St Johns cruise in early May when the Rudder Club host the longest river race ( 42 miles) for sail boats. It's amazing to see a professional crewed cattamaran sail by throwing a rooster tail off their stern. We lived and sailed at the time there for twenty five years in the Tocoi area. You can anchor and dock the rivers length after you get down river of Jacksonville all the way to Lake Sanford.
Bill

Larry try to schedule your St Johns cruise in early May when the Rudder Club host the longest river race ( 42 miles) for sail boats. It's amazing to see a professional crewed cattamaran sail by throwing a rooster tail off their stern. We lived and sailed at the time there for twenty five years in the Tocoi area. You can anchor and dock the rivers length after you get down river of Jacksonville all the way to Lake Sanford.
Bill

Correction....It's up river not down river. The St. Johns flows south to north.

:)

Bill

Wouldn't that be up river! :D

Heh heh, we're not nice peoples! :D

Most folks below Lake O consider Jax and that area to be South Georgia.

After all it snows in Jax! ,once in a while.

Folks wanting a real FL non winter need to keep on coming down SOUTH!.

Most folks below Lake O consider Jax and that area to be South Georgia.

After all it snows in Jax! ,once in a while.

Folks wanting a real FL non winter need to keep on coming down SOUTH!.

South to the concrete jungle of New Cuba!

"South to the concrete jungle of New Cuba!"

Always great to visit a place where folks are Proud to be in America , but continuing on past the Key West playground up the west coast gets one where anchoring out for a week or a winter is fun.

Sure there are nice marinas for the power pole people , but even nicer places for the free spirits.

The St Johns river runs North BUt reverses it's flow twice daily because of the in coming tide from the Atlantic Ocean. A very wise choice is to time your trip up river to Jacksonville with the in coming tide. once your past Jacksonville the North flow is marginal and during low water periods non-exsistant.

We came up the St John's on April 29. It is pretty cool as you say menzies. It's a great mix with lots to see. Photo credits go Scott W. who joined us for the ride from St Augustine to the Ortega River.

Attachments

• i-fN9mSjD-XL[1].jpg
    i-fN9mSjD-XL[1].jpg
    103 KB · Views: 136
  • i-R3CkqF6-XL[1].jpg
    i-R3CkqF6-XL[1].jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 135
  • i-GqNLqFK-XL[1].jpg
    i-GqNLqFK-XL[1].jpg
    131 KB · Views: 145
  • i-gt3wHbH-XL[1].jpg
    i-gt3wHbH-XL[1].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 130
  • i-FRJ5MrZ-X2[1].jpg
    i-FRJ5MrZ-X2[1].jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 156
  • i-LjNDxsC-XL[1] (2).jpg
    i-LjNDxsC-XL[1] (2).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 131
Is your boat over there now - maybe at Lamb's or Huckins?

We're in Ortega Landing Marina for part of hurricane season. Hobo needs a few things done and there are some very good options for the area. JAX has a lot to offer. We've been in and out of here for the last few years in the summer.

Last edited:
Are you staying on board? If so, send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom