What is this Bolt ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluetide

Veteran Member
Hi

Does anyone know what this bolt is called ?
Very difficult to track some down.
Used to dog down my engine room air vents.
Thanks BlUETIDE

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 120
I would say that if you went to a hardware store and asked for an "eye bolt", you're not going to get anything like that.

I've never seen anything like that and my guess it's specific to your boat or custom made.

Correct but it is descriptive. Go to the hardware store and ask for something without a description and see what you get. In a pinch an eye bolt of some kind would work. What would you suggest?

I would say that if you went to a hardware store and asked for an "eye bolt", you're not going to get anything like that.

I've never seen anything like that and my guess it's specific to your boat or custom made.

Just did a google picture search and found Butterfly Eye Bolt.
Now just gotta track some down.
Thanks for your help.
Bluetide

Might be easier to have it made.

I have lousy internet now...but search portlights...

Hamilton Marine may have them, also check Jamestown Distributers.

I have recently seen them when looking for parts to my bronze portlights.

I also think McMaster Carr had something similar.....

in a pinch, a regular eye bolt will work if you can find one with a small eye and larger diameter.

Last edited:
You could buy the five pieces separately and assemble 'em. The fifth piece is that little ring that keeps you from losing the wing nut; could be a cotter pin, too.

Martin Marine North Vancouver. Portlight dogs.

These are called "hangar bolts" in McMaster-Carr online.
I bought a box to replace some broken one on my portlight windows.

Attachments

• 90172a542p1-b01l.png
    90172a542p1-b01l.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 322
Looks like a ball joint from a motor vehicle steering component could be a good cheap substitute if all else fails

Potential Sources

Marine Supply and Hardware, 202 Commercial Ave, Anacortes, WA 98221. (360) 293-3014.

Fisheries Supply in Seattle (on the Internet).

Good Luck

Post #17 above.
While that sure looks like it, unless it happens to be imported here already in some quantity, it might as well be on the moon if you have to go direct to China to get it.

"While that sure looks like it, unless it happens to be imported here already in some quantity, it might as well be on the moon if you have to go direct to China to get it.
"

Not really many Amazon computer parts , and other items come from china now.

Try ordering a replacement set and see if there is more than a weeks wait.

Not really many Amazon computer parts , and other items come from china now.

Try ordering a replacement set and see if there is more than a weeks wait.
Yes, and there are many Chinese sellers on eBay of electronic items that ship direct and have excellent feedback.. but unless he is very lucky, this is likely a very different scenario from that. These are probably made by an obscure foundry or forging plant in China that is used to selling in huge quantities to distributors around the world. If he wants just one or two, the Chinese company would have pretty much zero inspiration to deal with him due to export hassles. But if he could connect with someone at the plant that speaks English maybe they could point the way to a distributor that has these here.

Last edited:
Xsbank; said:
Martin Marine North Vancouver. Portlight dogs.
Is there anything they don't have?
I'd also try sailors exchanges and old yards with old wood boats on oil drums.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 48
  • images 2.jpg
    images 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom