New Here (I know, original title!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacopico

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SEAFOOD
Vessel Make
Striker 44 Sportfish
Hello,

Just wanted to say looks like a good crew here, found the site while researching a trip I am planning from Astoria to Gig Harbor on a boat I am considering buying...though it is not a Trawler.

I was interested to read experiences taking a small boat from Astoria to the Straights...and I found a good thread or two on the subject!

For those interested I am looking at a 1973 Chris Craft Commander 36' Sportfish. I have boated in Southern California and the PNW over the past 20 years, and have been looking for something I can use with the family year-round and take the kids out fishing/crabbing/shrimping on.

This won't be my first trip offshore, however my first in a small boat. I will also have a couple friends along that have larger sportfishers and have run from Seattle around Vancouver Island several times...I am sure we will do well if all goes well on trials and survey in a couple weeks

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 76
Welcome. I keep my boat at Murphys Landing in Gig Harbor. Do you know where you will keep the boat if you get it?

Welcome to the Trawler Forum! Good luck with the survey/purchase.

Thanks guys for the welcome.

dhays- I'm looking for moorage! So far, no luck. However I work up in Ballard and have available moorage at work if needed.

Moorage has gotten tight again over the past year. The Harbor is a great place to be though.

Ahoy Paco... welcome to TF

Nice boat that Chris. 35'er correct? Or is that a 42' They appear much alike. I looked seriously about purchasing a 35' one some years ago. What type power plants you have in this Chris? Been out fishing a long time ago on similar, off NY. Darn good sea boat. Quick too!

Happy "New"-Boat Daze! - Art :speed boat:

36' and repowered from FE's to 385 series Ford Big blocks.

Still gas sadly, but in my price range.

Art - thanks for the link, I actually read that one last week and it helped me get off the stick on looking more at gas boats.

Doesn't help that I am a marine diesel mechanic by trade. Worse, I know gas engines just as well up to current OBD II.

In the end, I'll probably not ever get to the gas diesel payback either way, so no worries!

Your machanical skills put you way ahead of someone like me. I pretty much know nothing other than the engine turned the props (somehow).

Your machanical skills put you way ahead of someone like me. I pretty much know nothing other than the engine turned the props (somehow).

Sometimes you're better off not knowing. I'm also a mechanic, and I probably worry too much about things that I shouldn't.

Sometimes you're better off not knowing. I'm also a mechanic, and I probably worry too much about things that I shouldn't.

Well, it's the only way I can afford the "lifestyle"!

Welcome aboard

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Ha! Me too...the curse of the mechanic. By the way, we are all dating ourselves by not referring to the profession's modern title of "Technician".

Welcome aboard and good luck boat hunting...

Bruce

Well, it's the only way I can afford the "lifestyle"!

Same here. We could never afford a boat like this if we had to pay for the maintenance. Paying for the parts is bad enough. By the way, we're moored just up the Sound from Gig Harbor, in Lake Washington.

Well, I bought it...and the surveyor came up with a decent sized punch-list. Most items on the list are "what they did in 1973 is not how we do it today". No mechanical, structural or electrical defects.

Now I have the remainder of June to get it ready for the long trip around.

Did I also mention I have a real job to work as well...Oh-Boy!

Congrats on your new boat!

Great news!

Well, I bought it...and the surveyor came up with a decent sized punch-list. Most items on the list are "what they did in 1973 is not how we do it today". No mechanical, structural or electrical defects.

Now I have the remainder of June to get it ready for the long trip around.

Did I also mention I have a real job to work as well...Oh-Boy!

Congratulations!

Lots of changes in standards over the past 40 years. My boat is only 6 years old and there were a couple of those types of things flagged on the survey as well. You don't have to do them all at once. I would prioritize them like this.

1. What you need to be legal.
  2. What you need to feel safe on the boat at first.
  3. All the other stuff.
If you are going to drive the boat around, then you will do more with #2 than you might otherwise.

BTW, if you haven't already, you should look at the "Portland to Friday Harbor" thread.

Now you need to find some moorage!

Congrats on purchase of a Chris!!

Mechanic

NOUN
1. Person who works often on engines and the like
2. Person who operates items correctly
3. Person who can build or repair various items
4. Person smart to know a good deal when they see one!

You obviously are all four! Numbers 1 and 2 you simply are. You will get much use out of # 3 quality mentioned in this definition of "mechanic". # 4 you just proved yourself to be!

Happy Boat-Owning Daze! - Art :speed boat:

dhays - Yes, the #2 items from your reference are the first things, and that list is short: fix a couple raw water leaks that only appear at WOT, repair/replace ER vapor sensor and replace ER lighting with Vapor-Proof lighting...remember it's gas!

The #1 item list is: new flares and a new throwable flotation device.

I did read that thread, thank you and I found moorage in a boathouse down on Hylebos Waterway...the "garden spot" of Tacoma they say :)

And thanks for the kind words Art.

Last edited:
The #1 item list is: new flares and a new throwable flotation device.

I did read that thread, thank you and I found moorage in a boathouse down on Hylebos Waterway...the "garden spot" of Tacoma they say :)

And thanks for the kind words Art.

I ended up buying the LED night signal that is CG approved so I wouldn't have to replace flares all the time. However, I still have lots of flares on board, not all of them expired.

We have kept boats at Hylebos over the years.

Normally for as short a time as possible. ;)

Not a bad spot at all. Not as convenient to get to from the GH area, but is is a lot closer to a gas dock than GH and is right on the way to and from work for you.

That's GREAT! Congrats, Happy trails, etc etc etc!

Back
Top Bottom