Facebook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
I am curious how many of us are on Facebook? I personally was a late comer but* am now convinced that social networking sites can change the world.

Reactions from my friends range from..."I use it often" to "I don't care what someone had for breakfast".*Acceptance and usage rates*have a high correlation with their age.

My wife refuses to consider it. One close friend is afraid of it because it might sneak into his bank account (it would come out covered with cob webs if it did) and several acquaintances understand some of it's capabilities.

Luddites are those who oppose new technology.* Does that label fit anyone in here?

There are many non Luddites who are not into the Facebook or its*clones scene. I say hurrah to your wife. In this day and age, assuming one is computer savvy, *it takes a person with great confidence and insight to eschew the Facebook scene. Consider for a moment that Trawler Forum and other interest websites are their own form of Facebook, except they are a smaller much more select (ahem) group.*

It is all about money ----------- ask Zucker

I signed up a cople of years ago, it is amazing how many old friends, some I hadn't seen in almost 50 years, I have been able to get back in touch with.
Steve W

We haven't created a Facebook account nor do we use Twitter but it's not because we think they're bad ideas or have no value. in fact at work we are using both of them more and more. But so far neither my wife nor I have found a need for either one of them in our own lives. Partly because they can be so time-consuming and partly because their benefits--- keeping in touch with or finding old friends, or being notified about store specials, or seeing what your favorite musician is up to, etc.---- have not been things we've needed or been interested in doing. We don't have kids we want to stay in touch with and our dog has already told us he has no intention of creating a Facebook account and he thinks Twitter is silly unless it's a noise a squirrel is making in which case he chases it out of the yard.

But I think the dog's wrong, and that both Facebook and Twitter can be very useful. If the day comes that my wife and I feel one or both of them can be of use to us, we'll use them.

Neither one of us is against these kinds of communication advances---- we just aren't interested in chasing all around after them for the sake of doing it. And have you ever noticed how long it takes to do things? My wife got a smart phone last year. She really likes it but if you want to send an e-mail or look something up, it is a very slow process even with an iPhone. It's not that the phone is slow, it's that the applications are tedious to use, at least compared to a computer. Having used my wife's phone a few times for various things I can see now why people are focused on them almost constantly--- it's not that they're doing a lot of things, it's that the things they are doing take a lot of time.

Me and the Admiral don't have FB accounts. ( at least I don't).

But we are on Facebook,* seems the relatives have posted pictures*of being out on*Uncle Johns Boat!

Just do not have a desire to annouce what I am doing every couple hours or so.

JohnP

We both do...

I first got involved because of an upcoming high school reunion. My classmates, especially the females, were busily interacting with one another. I lurked thinking how stupid it was to share all the small details of one's life with others. I still feel that way...sorta. I still don't participate at that level. I got rid of (unfriended) the most chronic trivial posters. It reminds me of an addiction.

Now I use it only for things that I am interested in. Sure, I read junk from some of my friends*whom I don't mind knowing what they had for breakfast.

For the most part my Facebook time is spent reading about what is happening to several organizations that I "like". As an example, I went to Nordic Tugs web page and clicked on the Facebook logo. Once at their FB page I selected "like" on one occasion and on another occasion I commented on something that they had posted. Now, with no further action, I get updates (sometimes several a day) on their activities. I have watched them flip a mold, sea trial a new model, and construct a door. I know where and who are attending boat shows.

I also follow the Facebook posts of several Florida Yacht Clubs. Which club is having a weekend cruise, who has ladies night, or what the dinner special is for Friday night. There is no easier way to get up to the minute information than to go to the Facebook page of an active organization.

Then it became apparent the the protests in the middle east and Africa were facilitated by social networking sites such as Facebook. It has changed the world and is going viral. The fact that over 600 million people use Facebook tells me that this form of electronic communications is not a passing fad.

Doc

You are right, for countries that are awakening, the internet sites such as Facebook and Twitter have been an eye opener. Some say MTV was Reagan's ally in E Germany and Russia. My first trip to Russia was mid '92 and I noticed the impact of MTV and western TV programs was huge in assisting the downfall of the government. China will only allow their own version of Facebook, lets see how long that lasts.

But all the Nordic Tug and other boat stuff I can get from, IMHO, far better sites than Facebook. Some of my very old friends never got beyond high school - that period was the highlight of their life. Those who who crossed many of these people get slammed decades later on Facebook once they enter the chain.* Such as who (allegedly) in the 60s screwed who and had whose baby, smoked dope,**etc!

Speak of stupid. Facebook has turned into a burglars paradise as vacation and travel plans get announced to the world. Telephone marketing gets assisted for pay by Facebook Inc. by allowing access to your wants and desires.

All I can say is use Facebook carefully and be prepared for some unsolicted and unwarranted statements from friends and foe alike. Think Ancora communicating with your boss or siblings - it happens as you open your "life" and contacts to the world.

smile.gif
Sunchaser,

It is a misconception that you have to open up your life to Facebook. You can set it up to be as open or closed as you like. As for getting better information about boat factories, etc.*from other sources, you are correct as far as in-depth material is concerned. To me it is fun to see what is going on "in the moment". They post pictures and narratives several times a day. So do the other organizations that I follow on Facebook.

I didn't post this question to defend Facebook or to advocate it. I put it up here to see how many of us were keeping pace with 21st Century technology. Facebook*acceptance is very much age related and our average age here is not spring chicken.

So, if you are not interested in it stay away from it.***
smile.gif

-- Edited by Doc on Saturday 26th of February 2011 10:41:17 AM

I pose this question , is Facebook 21st century technology or 21st century marketing? I totally understand that a great deal of technology and business savvy went into developing Facebook. But using it , that IMHO*is not a technological step up vs using Trawler Forum.

How about this statement: If you*do*not have digital radar, side and forward scanning sonar, bow thruster, active stabilizers, wet exhaust, galley up and flat screen HDTV and induction cooking*on your vessel you are not into 21st Century technology.

sunchaser wrote:

I pose this question , is Facebook 21st century technology or 21st century marketing?
Right on the money, in my opinion.* The technology behind Facebook is nothing special.* I think the toilet flush technology in the 787 (and to be fair, the A350) is more sophisticated than Facebook's.* It's all about how fairly basic digital communications technology is positioned and branded in the market.* Facebook is a marketing program, not a technology program.* Twitter even more so.* The motiviation behind both of them is Making Money.

Facebook is not a breakthrough technololgy, it's a breakthrough use of technology.* Everybody wants to feel important, and where it's not practical (or cheap) to call up all the friends you want to impress all over the planet to tell them what you had for breakfast or what your kid just did it is easy, fast, and cheap to push your tale of fame at them via Facebook or Twitter.

It's human nature (unfortunately) to want to communicate, and the more opportunities you give people to communicate the more they'll do it.* Sometimes this can be very worthwhile, as in "Hey, let's all get together this afternoon and boot our oppressive dicatator out of office."* Other times not so much.* "Today Grandma came over and made eggs benedict for everyone only little Sally didn't like them and threw hers on the floor."

So the 21st century aspect of Facebook is everybody telling everybody else all about themselves whether everybody else wants to know it or not.
smile.gif
As such, what Facebook and Twitter have done is bring the ability to gossip to a new level.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 26th of February 2011 02:30:19 PM

Don't forget that YOU are the product and not the customer. Facebook sells your info to advertisers. If you fail to set your privacy settings high enough, your privacy and security are at risk.

Example: Many women use their maiden names as a middle name on Facebook. This is good for them to connect with old friends. And now their children (of any age) can no longer use 'mothers maiden name' as a banking password. How do the bad guys get those children's names? That's easy, the mom's and their children post their names and pictures on Facebook! There is no control on the authenticity of a persons name on Facebook. Anyone can create a Facebook page using any name they want.

Be careful out there!

-- Edited by Larry H on Saturday 26th of February 2011 04:47:41 PM

Having a facebook account is like having money. You can get by without it, but it does help keep you in touch with family.

I originally got on FB to send my dive pictures to some friends in Honduras.*
Don't use it that much anymore.*
My niece sent me a web site that you can go on to and find out who has been trying to break your FB security wall and access your profile. Pretty scary - lot's of people you don't know trying to find out about you.*** KJ

FB has become a way of communication and is probably here to stay for a while until something better comes along. Twitter- that is something that I simply cannot get into whatsoever but lots of friends are completely addicted to it.

biggrin.gif
It's not for me or the SO, but I am convinced that it has allowed Democracy to spread in the middle East. NO doubt about it- Egypt could never have happened. And other countries are lining up to follow suit. I am sure history will record the soon to be changes in the middle east, and social networking will get the credit. Or blame!

linkedin.com is a GREAT site for business networking.

"I first got involved because of an upcoming high school reunion."

That was one of the influences that got me started on Facebook as well.* That and "whitepages" found many classmates.

I log on FB every day, but rarely post. It's a great way though to share photos, etc.

I am also on linked in.

jleonard wrote:

"I first got involved because of an upcoming high school reunion."

That was one of the influences that got me started on Facebook as well.* That and "whitepages" found many classmates.

I log on FB every day, but rarely post. It's a great way though to share photos, etc.

I am also on linked in.
Sounds just like me. Didn't attend 50th HS reunion last year,* but found a few classmates on Facebook. Mostly we just follow what our boys and their wives, sisters' families, etc* post with pics of grandkids, etc.** Without it I doubt we'd feel as connected with them.* Rarely post anything ourselves, but comment from time to time on what the kids say.

My wife "Faces" on facebook. I "boatbook" on trawlerforum....

Tim,I do both and am having a good time. FB is really not much different than TF except for the huge numbers of people involved and the select group part. It's a little like me going from Thorne Bay to London. I got on FB to look at my sister's pictures and found out she didn't have any pictures. Then a bunch of family people showed up. Then I got on Classmates. I chatted w several people from a long time ago and had fun doing so. Then one of my new CM friends received a criminal threat and I was connected to her so I unplugged myself from CM and haven't been back. I would go now if I had the time but I'm having too much fun on TF and FB. I also post on BoatDesign.net and Willard Boat Owners (WBO) on yahoo groups. I've been blogging w people from eastern Med countries and some of their friends * ...a few in the states. It's a bit like having Pen Pals. I'd like to chat w more people from places like Iran, India, Turkey and other places that are not part of western culture. Remember that lady w the alligator on her lap that I posted a while back? Well she lives in Tel Aviv and is a FB "friend" and I'm downloading a book written by her. My security strategy is to keep things so only "friends" can see your info and choose friends carefully. I should add that I have absolutely NOTHING financial on my computer. No bank stuff or any other money related info. I have an accnt w Ameriprise Financial and none or that info is in my computer * * ........
but I'm on Face Book.

nomadwilly*wrote:*I have an accnt w Ameriprise Financial and none or that info is in my computer * * ........
Eric,* You must be a "buy and hold" type of investor,* Without using my computer managing trading would be no fun.

JohnP

Facebook?* I already spend too much time at the computer.

John,
That's what I have a Financial Advisor for.
With a good account (invested in the right things w the right amount of diversification and in far enough and not too deep) one dos'nt need to yo yo much.

One more thing about FB is that I've got deveral hundred photos of mostly Alaska and everyone's invited to browse.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 6th of March 2011 04:14:15 PM

Nomadwilly stated:

I should add that I have absolutely NOTHING financial on my computer. No bank stuff or any other money related info. I have an accnt w Ameriprise Financial and none or that info is in my computer ........
but I'm on Face Book.

I keep all my general financial information on my computer. I use online banking for paying bills. The bank has several fail safes to make sure that no unauthorized persons can get into my accounts.* I also use Quicken to keep up with my checkbook and my list of accounts. I don't see how anyone can get along today without keeping financial information on their computer.

As for Facebook, one should never enter anything in a post* or a profile or anywhere else*that is of a financial nature. Facebook is useful if one keeps it under tight controls.

Has anyone ever heard of an evil doer getting financial information out of Facebook that was not entered into Facebook by the user? What I am asking is, has Facebook ever been used as a vehicle to gain financial information from someone's computer?
Can one go through*Facebook into a persons Quicken or online banking accounts?

I would not be surprised but I have never heard of it.

Doc:

Google "facebook financial scams" and "facebook scams" and "facebook privacy."**There are a few problems, the latest being a Feb 28 article I read in the WSJ about Mark Z selling your information such as name, address, telephone number and interests.

I use Facebook mainly to connect with old high school buddies, and of course to try to recruit team members for a U.S. Buzkashi team.

For online financial trading, the safest and cheapest I know of is Interactive Brokers.* The cost to trade is 1/2 of 1 cent per share, so 1000 shares costs you $5.00.* 100 shares costs the minimum $1.00.* For security you have the usual username and password, but you also have to have the secret Annie Oakley decoder ring to enter in codes from a card they send you that is unique to your account.* Someone could steal your username and password, but without the card codes, they can't do anything.* A picture of the challenge screen is below, as well as my local Buzkashi team in practice. (I'm the guy with the tan colored hat waving the hammer).

I use IB for commodities trading, but you can trade anything on it.* It is flat out the coolest trading platform there is, with capabilities far beyond any other platform.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom