Anchor Chain "Flap" Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Capt Bill is correct.

The string is there as to not lose the pin when you remove it.

But the way it is set up once I remove it all three pieces come away, and all can be lost. Nothing is tied to the boat anywhere.

Update soon.

I would not do that. Why?

Because as the chain is coming up, you want those chain locks to be bouncing up and down over EACH CHAIN LINK. that way, it the anchor get stuck and you stop the windlass the tension is taken up immediate by your chain stopper.

It's how I retrieve my anchor all the time. if the anchor shows any resistance, I stop the windlass, and use the boat power to break the anchor free, then start pulling it in again.

Lastly, as Cafesport pointed out so well, I too have a little line, mine is a thin bungee cord that I put over the lock as the chain is going out. Otherwise, yes, the lock will do what it's supposed to and engage. then once I have all the chain I want out. I put my snubber on and reengage chain lock.

This also means in case I must leave ASAP, I can all alone in the pilot house by retrieving the chain as I move the boat., but if the anchor snags, the chain lock prevents damage to the windlass.

Ok, then modify the friction by just using a SS bolt or SS threaded rod with wingnuts. Set it up so tighten the wingnut locks it from moving, and loosen wingnut to let it flop up and down. when anchored tighten wingnut to keep this thing down on the chain. It may be that the housing is pretty strong, but a custom wingnut with longer wings would then work fine. Just a short piece of SS flat bar and a SS nut silver brazed on would work, or if thick enough, the SS flat bar you could tap threads.

It also seems he does not need this at all, having some kind of other chain stopper.

Last edited:
Ok, then modify the friction by just using a SS bolt or SS threaded rod with wingnuts. Set it up so tighten the wingnut locks it from moving, and loosen wingnut to let it flop up and down. when anchored tighten wingnut to keep this thing down on the chain. It may be that the housing is pretty strong, but a custom wingnut with longer wings would then work fine. Just a short piece of SS flat bar and a SS nut silver brazed on would work, or if thick enough, the SS flat bar you could tap threads.

It also seems he does not need this at all, having some kind of other chain stopper.

No.Don't increase the friction.
That's stupid and defeats the whole purpose.

Just take the pin out and throw it overboard.

maybe he took a bight of the string across and under the end of the pin on the other side to keep the flap out of the way. I don't see any other apparent use for string ...

Well done, mystery solved!

Not sure from the vidio but that chain stopper looks like it is mounted backwards.

And looks mighty tiny and weak to hold a boat in a blow.

The windlass just recovers the ground tackle , 1000lbs 2000lbs of strain at best.

The chain stopper holds the pull of the entire vessel while anchored in a blow.

Not sure from the vidio but that chain stopper looks like it is mounted backwards.

The windlass just recovers the ground tackle , 1000lbs 2000lbs of strain at best.

I agree FF. Most lightly affixed chain stoppers on our recreational vessels are to, well, stop the chain from playing out during travel. Others also keep the chain from rising up off a vertical winch and going kerplunk to the end of the chain.

Snubbers hold the boat in a blow.

Nope, it is on there correctly, otherwise it does not jam (stop) the chain when paying out. See first post for original issue, which the piece of string resolves.

Also see other thread on snubbers/bridles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom